You are Here:
First post and question of age of deck titled "Fauntleroy"

Author (Read 587 times)

First post and question of age of deck titled "Fauntleroy"
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »

Fauntleroy

• Newcomer
Hi, I'm a new guy here – this is my first post. Is this a card deck meant for children? I've searched for similar decks up don't think this one is particularly unique or rare, but the box does seem older than others examples I've found. Any ideas of the date/age of the deck? Is the 'Fauntleroy' card meant to be a joker or an extra card? There's only one.  Obviously, I used the image as an avatar because it's awesome looking. Thanks!
Joe

Re: First post and question of age of deck titled "Fauntleroy"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
I would date it between 1885 to 1894 based on the ace of spades. Yes, the Fauntleroy card is a joker and this brand was considered a "toy" brand marketed to children.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:05:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi, I'm a new guy here – this is my first post. Is this a card deck meant for children? I've searched for similar decks up don't think this one is particularly unique or rare, but the box does seem older than others examples I've found. Any ideas of the date/age of the deck? Is the 'Fauntleroy' card meant to be a joker or an extra card? There's only one.  Obviously, I used the image as an avatar because it's awesome looking. Thanks!
Joe

Agreed with Worst Bower.  Looks like you have a fine example of it there, really - even the box is intact and they're often the first thing to go!  They're often made of paper that's less durable than the pasteboard of the cards so they tend to wear out and fall apart before the cards are dead.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »

Fauntleroy

• Newcomer
Thanks for that information, very much appreciated! I've always been fascinated with playing cards, I don't know why it took me so long to begin collecting them. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum!