You are Here:
A curious case of Tally Ho

Author (Read 4737 times)

A curious case of Tally Ho
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

check my collection again, and i found this Tally Fan Back - Ohio, Blue Seal. but without the "Original Fan Back" at bottom back box and the barcode is on the right side. - which i only saw on Gold Trim/Border Version Tally. And the Brand Name Tally Ho doesnt have symbol ® for registration. what do you think ???

Re: A curious case of Tally Ho
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I just went back through all my Tally Hos and none have the barcode on the right.  I also just bought a brick of sealed ohio blue seals Tally Hos a few weeks ago and bar code is on the left.  Counterfeit deck maybe?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

piegoesmoo

• Collecting newbie

My Tally's barcode is on the left as well.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:35:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's just an older deck, that's all.  The inclusion of "Original Fan Back" or "Original Circle Back" is relatively new in terms of the history of the deck.  The deck is not older than about 25 years or so, and probably a bit younger than that but not by too much - I don't remember the exact date UPC codes were added to USPC decks, but I'm reasonably sure it was either late '80s or early '90s.  Sticker seals came about ten years earlier, plus or minus - before that, they were moisture-activated adhesive stamps.

The newest Tally Ho decks have all that USPC fine print on them.  There's a shop near my house - a fruit and vegetable stand that's open 24 hours, of all things - that sells Tally Ho brand decks.  (You'll only find that happening in New York City - USPC considers Tally Ho to be a "regional" brand as opposed to a national one, and the region consists of magic shops and the city of New York.  They're not wholesaled to any other area.  It's similar to how Aviators are more often seen in airports than anywhere else, or Mavericks being sold predominantly in the Southern US except Florida.)  Anyway, my point is that the decks were made in early 2010.  The boxes still said "Ohio" on them, but they were made in Erlanger and had the black sticker seals on them rather than blue or red.  If I remember correctly, it has a barcode on the left, brand name, model number and fine print on the right.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:27:13 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

It's just an older deck, that's all.  The inclusion of "Original Fan Back" or "Original Circle Back" is relatively new in terms of the history of the deck.  The deck is not older than about 25 years or so, and probably a bit younger than that but not by too much - I don't remember the exact date UPC codes were added to USPC decks, but I'm reasonably sure it was either late '80s or early '90s.  Sticker seals came about ten years earlier, plus or minus - before that, they were moisture-activated adhesive stamps.

The newest Tally Ho decks have all that USPC fine print on them.  There's a shop near my house - a fruit and vegetable stand that's open 24 hours, of all things - that sells Tally Ho brand decks.  (You'll only find that happening in New York City - USPC considers Tally Ho to be a "regional" brand as opposed to a national one, and the region consists of magic shops and the city of New York.  They're not wholesaled to any other area.  It's similar to how Aviators are more often seen in airports than anywhere else, or Mavericks being sold predominantly in the Southern US except Florida.)  Anyway, my point is that the decks were made in early 2010.  The boxes still said "Ohio" on them, but they were made in Erlanger and had the black sticker seals on them rather than blue or red.  If I remember correctly, it has a barcode on the left, brand name, model number and fine print on the right.
wow  :P thanks for your information, this could make this Tally of mine much more value than $4 i spent on it  :bosswalk:

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm actually more curious about the "signature" on the cellophane.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

I'm actually more curious about the "signature" on the cellophane.
nothing lol, that just scribble of myself :))

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

wow  :P thanks for your information, this could make this Tally of mine much more value than $4 i spent on it  :bosswalk:

I just noticed something - that deck has a black seal, correct?

The black seals were used in '09 and '10, placed on decks that were marked on the tuck box as made in Cincinnati but the cards were printed in Erlanger.  Maybe they're just worth the four bucks.  Prior to that, the seals used were blue or red, as in the example in the post following your first from Badpete69.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 05:54:31 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

compare with other decks, i think this have a dark blue seal  :P - lighter than black (blue circle back), but darker than blue (red fan back) something else: on the top it only wrote Poker (no No. 9) and below the A. Dougherty only have "REG U.S. PAT OFF." instead of " REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. & TM OFF."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:58:06 AM by crazyfandecks »

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
compare with other decks, i think this have a dark blue seal  :P - lighter than black (blue circle back), but darker than blue (red fan back) something else: on the top it only wrote Poker (no No. 9) and below the A. Dougherty only have "REG U.S. PAT OFF." instead of " REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. & TM OFF."

It's really hard to tell from the photos, though I can say conclusively that the blue Circle Back deck has a black seal.  The blue seals did tend to be on the darker side, close to but not quite indigo.  It's possible both Fan Backs are indeed blue, but I can't say based on these images.  Needs more light.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:03:58 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:41 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

It's really hard to tell from the photos, though I can say conclusively that the blue Circle Back deck has a black seal.  The blue seals did tend to be on the darker side, close to but not quite indigo.  It's possible both Fan Backs are indeed blue, but I can't say based on these images.  Needs more light.
yes, i'll need a real camera with flash light, not an Ipad -_- how abt the "REG U.S. PAT OFF." line ??? any clue for tracking abt it :)

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

i think i found another case like me here http://www.playingcardforum.com/working-title-a-cellar-of-fine-vintages/two-old-tally-hos-post-1965/ no trademark, barcode at right side and anything else, but circle back, maybe an old version of Tally before the Trademark come out :))

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i think i found another case like me here http://www.playingcardforum.com/working-title-a-cellar-of-fine-vintages/two-old-tally-hos-post-1965/ no trademark, barcode at right side and anything else, but circle back, maybe an old version of Tally before the Trademark come out :))

It's possible - but either way, it appears your deck was probably from either the 1990s or the 2000s.  If forced to guess, I'd say 2000s.