You are Here:
Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards

Author (Read 17019 times)

Re: Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Whispering Imps Court cards were (could be) only custom due to that imps. And it was an AMAZING idea in combination with the name (theme) of the deck. So many amazing things could be done, how heavy with meanin it could be....

Than magicians came and traditionally annihilated it.

Those court cards are standard. Yes the standard is older but that's all. And they were already used in 3 or 4 decks.

Sometimes I don't understand you guys. Instead of using something new which can bring so many stories into your tricks, make them more alive than technical - you go round in a circle. I am more than sure that any child these days knows that all your tricks are tricks and he doesn't care about that - he enjoys your show. Those children who don't understand that are so young that they are not able to understand that a marking system exists. Of course if all magicians by themselves din "o-o-only sta-a-a-ndard co-o-o-urt ca-a-a-rds sho-o-o-uld be-e used" into peoples ears - they will believe you. I am also more than sure that any great magician you admire so much will say in this case "Something new? GOOD! Give me it and I'll invent how to excite people so much that they will forget about everything (including non-standard court cards)".

But "Back, AoS, Joker standard deck" is your everything :(... oh, I forgot beautiful tuck cases, of course - they are such important for an audience and tricks.

This deck is dead for me now and I am sad. I don't even want to propose how to improve that King... hey, I forgot - Gaff King.

Emotionally? This time YES.

Let me just start by saying I'm not a magician. I don't have a care in the world what little Jimmy or little Mary thinks of a deck of playing cards.

This is not a Bicycle theme deck this is a Mark Stutzman illustration.  Like other commercially successful artists, Marks work will most likely be in some museum in thirty-fifty years because of his work with playing cards and his direct association with David Blaine. It's like having a product advertised in a magazine by Norman Rockwell before Norman was considered legendary. Then Norman was just an artist making a name for himself, like Mark is today. That might seem farfetched to some here. However when you consider Marks work goes hand in hand with one of the most iconic magicians of our era, it's actually a very real possibility. At the very least, Mark is becoming a highly sought after playing card designer.

I can't stress this enough. Having an opportunity to produce a deck of cards illustrated by Mark is a great responsibility. I suggest being very careful with whatever it is Chris ends up doing with the court cards. He could be producing a piece of playing cards history.

Here is my suggestion. We have all seen standard court cards being recolored on other decks. Until a year ago, the first recoloring of the Arrco Court cards started being produced with decks like the Oriental Deck and the Luxury Crown Decks. However, I don't believe anyone has recolored the OLD style standard court cards yet? It might be a great way to keep that classic old look you want and still adapt the court cards to that innovative Whispering Imp Theme.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:32:40 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
@legacy bingo!  I'm glad to hear you get it.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Now here's what I don't see:
The historical courts WORK. They tie in with the vintage, old feel of the deck extremely well. Why do the cards need completely custom (or even recolored) faces? Had you used modern standard courts, I would have cried foul. But the darker colors and faces with more personality add SO much to the deck. Custom courts using imps could get repetitive. Imp gaffs, imp back, imp name, imp theme... Imp courts would lose their charm in a deck like this. Using the court cards as it is, in my mind, a fantastic idea.

But if you could add a customization or recoloration to the courts that adds to the deck and doesn't beat the Imp theme to death, I would be all for it.

Absolutely amazing work thus far!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:46:21 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 12:48:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here is my suggestion. We have all seen standard court cards being recolored on other decks. Until a year ago, the first recoloring of the Arrco Court cards started being produced with decks like the Oriental Deck and the Luxury Crown Decks. However, I don't believe anyone has recolored the OLD style standard court cards yet? It might be a great way to keep that classic old look you want and still adapt the court cards to that innovative Whispering Imp Theme.

I think the reason for that was that the "standard" actually took some time to establish.  Back then it wasn't all USPC and no one else - there were SEVERAL standards, each company making their courts in their own unique way.  Even today, if you compared USPC standard with Arrco standard, US Games standard, Hoyle standard, Gemaco standard, etc., you'll find a lot of differences.  The only real "standard" there is that they generally conform to the Anglo-Rouen deck pattern.

It's actually a little interesting when you think of it - in the early days of mass-market deck printing, Rouen, France was the primary supplier to the United Kingdom for playing cards and had their own unique style from the cards made in Paris - which swept France by storm and became more popular there.  When British companies started making their own, they cribbed from the Rouen style.  As an English-speaking nation and former British colony, by the 19th century we in the US copied what the British were using.  So did most of Canada, while the Quebecois probably leaned more in favor of the Parisian style deck.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:49:00 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
So... I had some free time and was watching YouTube video's. As many of you know, YouTube will suggest video's you might have interest in based on your viewing history. One of the video's suggested to me was a CBS Video of David Copperfield. Copperfield was showing his magic warehouse that's not open to the public (only those studying magic or media). At one part of the Video, Copperfield is standing in front of a Blackstone Poster that was using whispering imps on it. Knowing that Keller was Chris's inspiration for making this deck, I decided to do some research on the whole whispering Imp phenomena and its usage in magic. I was surprised to find how many magicians have used whispering imps in their posters. All very interesting when you also consider that Stutzman is now taking his place with a long line of magic poster artists using Whispering Imps for one of his own projects.

http://facweb.furman.edu/~rbryson/impimages.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:31:05 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
@mrmollusk you totally get where i'm coming from with the court cards, thank you! 

@legacy, yes Imps have been used as a symbol of magic and paired with magicians for 100+ years....starting with Harry Kellar.  Many magicians have actually copied his posters, but most have just imitated them by incorporating Imps into their artwork. 

For much of my research I was very fortunate to speak with Mike Caveney and visit his enormous collection of original and very rare posters at his place in Pasadena. 

Although I went to Mark initially with the idea because we were friends...I also asked him to be a part of the project because he is very familiar with illustrating Imps into various posters for David Blaine and Panic! At The Disco, etc....and he also knows the playing card industry very well.

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I removed the “4th paragraph” as it was based more on emotions than rules of the English language.

...I drew my inspiration from Harry Kellar's original Imps poster from 1894.  After researching and collecting hundreds of decks I noticed an "Imp" deck had never been created...until now.  It's been a lot of hard work but my hope is that you will all enjoy how it's turned out...

... Additionally there will be few select court cards that will have various "Kellar like" card reveals.  See below...
...It's been a lot of fun playing with many ideas, thank you for your interest.  More to come....

@see_squared, that misled me.

Also I guess someone didn’t understand my statement about the court design and standards. I guess it was my fault because of a bad explanation.

1. Ask Alexander, Bicycle 125th Anniversary, Squeezers (modern reprints) - all these decks have these vintage court cards. I mean THESE court cards not vintage court cards in general. That is why it isn’t interesting to have them again in this deck. How many times do you want to use these particular vintage court cards to consider them standard courts? I prefer something new even among vintage designs. I am not a fan of recoloring of vintage courts but it’s more a question of taste.

2. I didn’t mean imps as main figures on court cards. I just think that little imps playing pranks on one part of each vintage court card are cool for this deck. Of course a nice design and ideas for this purpose should be a must. This idea is illustrated on the (gaff) king (IMHO - it needs improvement).

So unfortunately for me this deck isn’t interesting too much. Luckily I am in the minority… at least on this forum… but not on Kickstarter (Uusi, Federal 52, Albino Dragons, Pedale, etc. - amount of pledges).

As always – tastes differ. I respect everyone's taste and expectations. To each his own.

Chris, good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@legacy, yes Imps have been used as a symbol of magic and paired with magicians for 100+ years....starting with Harry Kellar.  Many magicians have actually copied his posters, but most have just imitated them by incorporating Imps into their artwork. 

For much of my research I was very fortunate to speak with Mike Caveney and visit his enormous collection of original and very rare posters at his place in Pasadena. 

Although I went to Mark initially with the idea because we were friends...I also asked him to be a part of the project because he is very familiar with illustrating Imps into various posters for David Blaine and Panic! At The Disco, etc....and he also knows the playing card industry very well.

There you go... I've seen that David Blaine poster before. I don't know why I did not think of it and Mark's previous work with Imps.

Strange, is it not? The human mind that see's these magic posters but unconsciously does not realize the Imps are in the photo or doesn't recall having seen them before. Almost like my mind is trained to accept them as normal. Yet they are so not normal, they are quite the opposite. I've seen hundreds of magic posters and its only this past week that I stopped to question, Why Imps? Wild stuff...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:50:00 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There you go... I've seen that David Blaine poster before. I don't know why I did not think of it and Mark's previous work with Imps.

Strange, is it not? The human mind that see's these magic posters but unconsciously does not realize the Imps are in the photo or doesn't recall having seen them before. Almost like my mind is trained to accept them as normal. Yet they are so not normal, they are quite the opposite. I've seen hundreds of magic posters and its only this past week that I stopped to question, Why Imps? Wild stuff...

Imps have long been thought of as magical creatures - even agents of the devil.  Some magicians played up those associations to make themselves appear to be more than they really were - which is how promotion works, really.  So many people have imitated the Kellar posters that the imps practically blend into the background at this point.

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Just pledged. I just wish there was a 3 deck early bird special.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I really like this deck. It has historical inspiration and is executed I a really nice level. Even thought court cards may be some what "traditional" to some viewers I find them refreshing. If you can pull off a traditional design but do it in a way that is fresh and new, more props to you. Connecting with people and their already established memories and associations is one of the hardest parts of engaging people. For me this deck did that. I'm a huge fan of the historical poster art that these are derived from so they made a connection with me. So many decks on kickstarter now only stand on there idea as a foundation. An idea is pretty meaningless unless it can be executed. If a person has a good idea and can also execute it at a high level, then you most likely have descent success. If you have a great Idea, execute at a high level and also connect with people then you have an idea that might last the test time and not just be a novelty. Probably the nicest deck on kickstarter right now along side Royal Optik. Can't wait to see more designs.

Great work guys! I really like this deck, pledge for two.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:44:38 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
This deck is nicely done in my opinion. Yes, I am among the few that would've liked to have seen the courts customized a little more but can appreciate the court design as they are now. The AoS is very entertaining to me for some odd reason and the "Imps" (jokers) are a fun twist. The backs are almost a given work of art seeing as they're a work of Stutzman. Altogether, the deck has a very nice "traditional" feel to it and I certainly like it a lot. The tuck surprisingly gives off a very modern and sleek feel to it not so different from the Ultimate deck (of course simpler). But looks good for those that collect and don't open the cards and those that use the cards as well.

All praises from me! Will head over to the Kickstarter page now to back but a little under two hours after launch and the early birds are already taken haha expecting nice results from this project.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
That box.
That ace.
That ad card.
That seal.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
See_squared/Chris - you should check NOW with KS about that $450 "Wholesale Package".  Deck projects are limited by them to offering no more than a brick at any tier, and non-deck projects are limited to only ten of whatever item the project was created to make.  Better to check now than deal with hassles later.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement.  I can't believe how much interest it's generated in just one day, totally blown away.

Don, I had that same question/concern about the wholesale package.  It was listed as a pledge option when I submitted for approval...and it got approved but you are correct, it wouldn't hurt to double check this early in the game.

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Definitely rooting for the best for you and the project! Would love to see it become one of the "big" Kickstarter deck projects that are backed many folds over the initial goal amount. Definitely worth it.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
I'm in for 4 decks! Can't to get my hands on them. Anyone knows whether the estimated delivery (July) is possible?
Projects I have pledge on usually takes two or three months to deliver the items.

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I highly doubt he could get them delivered by july. I thought it said december, which I believe.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Oops I'm really sorry, saw the wrong reward. The estimated delivery date for the first reward with email updates is July :P
Well, I'll have to wait for another half a year. Seems a little bit longer than other projects.

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 12:00:13 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I thought it would usually take about four months if things go mildly well with USPCC and shipping and all that after the project has been funded, no? So I was estimating maybe mid-October to mid-November. I guess that's not too far from December now that I think of it haha :))

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 01:42:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, I had that same question/concern about the wholesale package.  It was listed as a pledge option when I submitted for approval...and it got approved but you are correct, it wouldn't hurt to double check this early in the game.

Indeed - they've been known to "approve" things, only to later change their minds and get in people's grilles about it.

Oops I'm really sorry, saw the wrong reward. The estimated delivery date for the first reward with email updates is July :P
Well, I'll have to wait for another half a year. Seems a little bit longer than other projects.

I thought it would usually take about four months if things go mildly well with USPCC and shipping and all that after the project has been funded, no? So I was estimating maybe mid-October to mid-November. I guess that's not too far from December now that I think of it haha :))

Guys, take a look at the number of deck projects that are running around on Kickstarter.  Add that to the number of projects that other big-name companies have in mind for their customers.  Add that to the total production run USPC has planned for its own deck designs.  It would shock me not in the least to learn that the lag time for getting a deck made would increase under the circumstances, especially when attempting to deliver the deck so close to Black Friday.  Better that he over-estimate the delivery time and deliver early than under-estimate and deal with irate backers...

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Guys, take a look at the number of deck projects that are running around on Kickstarter.  Add that to the number of projects that other big-name companies have in mind for their customers.  Add that to the total production run USPC has planned for its own deck designs.  It would shock me not in the least to learn that the lag time for getting a deck made would increase under the circumstances, especially when attempting to deliver the deck so close to Black Friday.  Better that he over-estimate the delivery time and deliver early than under-estimate and deal with irate backers...

I guess it's also safe to assume, as you said, many of the bigger independent companies, if following their normal trend, want to produce decks to be released by or close to Black Friday, that'll load USPCC more than the other times of the year. I know there are a lot of projects on Kickstarter right now (what is it? Mid 20's? Crazy) but I find it hard to believe more than a third of those will be actually produced. But I totally forgot about all the other independent companies that like to release around Black Friday. I guess over-estimating is much much safer.

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'm working with the USPCC on a couple of unique options, we'll see if this crazy idea gets approved.  Also, stretch goals announced this week and the option to add individual decks to your order.

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:42 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Congratulations Chris. Funding reached with 19 days to go. Great first project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB