Bicycle Voyager (KS)

Author (Read 2882 times)

Bicycle Voyager (KS)
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
New KS deck, folks - they're stacking up like cordwood these days.  At least this one looks promising.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79855980/voyager-bicycle-playing-cards

Most refreshing part of this project: prices more like those from over a year ago!  Let's hope this trend continues.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Bicycle Voyager (KS)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I like it. I like it a lot.
No, I REALLY like it. Fully custom court cards (great art style, too) nice classy pips, awesome card "texture", neat ace of spades, and a very classy back. More people need to do the "classic style" card back, like the Hornets did. The line in the border will look sweet in fans, too.
And $7 for an early bird? Sold, sold, and sold.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:46:04 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
wow! he sneaked in a raffle and got away with it!  nice to also know on kickstarter you can reward 1 brick(12 decks) when normally you can only reward 10 items. lastly, it seems you can reward 10 bricks for a total of 120 decks.  what other sneaky stuff can we do?  >:(

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:45 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
wow! he sneaked in a raffle and got away with it!  nice to also know on kickstarter you can reward 1 brick(12 decks) when normally you can only reward 10 items. lastly, it seems you can reward 10 bricks for a total of 120 decks.  what other sneaky stuff can we do?  >:(

Maybe I'm missing it but I didn't see anything about ten bricks. I know a lot of playing card projects have been offering a brick of cards as a reward tier. Maybe Kickstarter recognizes a "brick" as on item? Maybe they just didn't catch that on all playing card projects. Now the raffle I have no possible defense to why that is allowable.

But this is a really nice deck and for $7??? I've been complaining this whole time about expensive decks and then this deck comes around! :))
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Actually, they allow bricks only because they're a standard "unit" for the selling of playing cards.  They're already ruled that anything more than a brick would not be permitted.  They'd probably allow a "baker's dozen" of thirteen to fourteen units if the project was selling cupcakes...

If they catch on to the raffle, they'll force him to shut it down in all likelihood.  They often force changes even after a project's gone live.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I really like the backs (they remind me of Delftware), but I'm not so much of a fan of the "crinkle" texture on the front. An aged, stained, parchment look, yes, but not a fan of the current look. That said, I don't dislike it enough to turn me off so...I'm in.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Hello All, My name is Bill the creator of Voyager Bicycle deck, I could really use the help in spreading the word about the deck
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello All, My name is Bill the creator of Voyager Bicycle deck, I could really use the help in spreading the word about the deck

Have you tried promoting this deck in this and other card forums yet?  Offering discounts, drumming up big-ticket supporters?  It was easier when KS didn't limit backers on the amount of what they can receive - up to twelve for playing cards, up to ten for everything else.  You could talk a retailer into investing and really boost your pledge numbers.

As of right now, you need $3,300 in 12 days.  This is not impossible - especially when most decks that are doing reasonably well in the first place get a last-minute burst of investors.  It's daunting, but not impossible.

I also recommend tweaking those indices to use the same pips as the deck.  They're very nice pips.  Perhaps even change the black to that beautiful black-and-dark-blue you're portraying the spades and clubs in now.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
I will work on some new pic in the next day or so, changing the pips I agree 100% and was something I was going to do before I sent the final design to USPCC.

Do you have a lead on a retailer that might be interested in something like that?

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I will work on some new pic in the next day or so, changing the pips I agree 100% and was something I was going to do before I sent the final design to USPCC.

Do you have a lead on a retailer that might be interested in something like that?

Officially, according to Kickstarter, you can't "sell" in such quantities anymore.  That was the past.

However...there are almost certainly a few projects out there that used some kind of dodge or workaround.  Perhaps they simply overpledged by a large amount - some people pledge without the expectation of receiving anything, so an oversized pledge itself won't likely raise red flags.  Meanwhile, I imagine the creators had already discussed the idea with the person making that pledge in advance, in terms of what they'd get in compensation.

It is a technical violation of the KS TOS?  Probably.  But KS isn't exactly great on enforcing the rules for such violations, either.  In fact, all kinds of questionable things get added to projects all the time and if KS even catches wind of it, it's often long after the project has closed and received payment.  So I wouldn't worry about a little behind-the-scenes dealing as long as no one complains and KS never hears about it - but you never heard that from me.  :))

They won't even intervene legally if a "successful" project fails to deliver due to fraud - they simply advise you to take your own legal action.  So it's a little "fast and loose" out there right now - most projects are fine and dandy, some are as shady as a deep cave.  I compare it to the early days of eBay.  Their own TOS states it's a violation, but the rule has no teeth to it, no real penalty from the point of view of KS.

Which retailers should you approach?  There's quite a few, some who are receptive to backing - if you'll offer the right discount.  Most of them also participate as sellers on eBay.  A fast search of some of the newer custom decks on eBay will start kicking our a handful of the same names over and over - they tend to be the ones.  You can also check the list we have at the top of the Playing Card Plethora with retailers giving discounts - the retailers that aren't card companies, like Theory11, Ellusionist, Dan and Dave, etc. would possibly be interested, especially if they're located overseas and you can make a good deal that doesn't break them on duties for imported goods.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »

BrianDenham

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
This is a beautiful deck. You might try hitting up some Navy and Marine Corps boards to spread the word.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
As my project “Voyager” falls on it's last days it appears as if it will not reach it's funding. If and when (and that’s a big IF) I ever try to fund this project again, what would be some suggestions that I might want to do differently. I am not a big fan of add-on's, but I might want to rethink that.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 01:31:01 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
Personally, I didn't pledge because of a couple things:  the courts didn't have any relation to the Voyager theme; they were different from standard but they didn't have anything that said Wow; I really didn't like the airbrush technique on the court faces; the crinkle background was not a minus but it wasn't a plus either. Things I liked were the readable indices and the back (well, kind of--there seemed to be some airbrushing in there too. The pips were not a turnoff for me. I love love *loved* the Ace of Spades--because of the very cool sailing ship image. I'm a sailor, so that one Ace almost sold me. But it turned out that there was only one card in the whole deck with that theme going for it. If you want to hit the sailor or Navy market, ya gotta bring more than one card. Suggestions?  Man, if each court was an actual voyager, maybe with the name in the margin a la BentCastle ... Sweet. All the Aces would have a different sailing vessel from the Age of Discovery. And if there weren't enough women voyagers, you could go with the actual Queens who funded the voyages beginning with Q. Isabela. Or maybe do a whole boating theme. Kings would be the huge juggernauts of the sea, queens would be multi-mast sloops and jacks would be single mast sloops. In my mind, you missed by not really translating "Voyager" into a theme that carried through on anything but the one Ace.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps and good luck.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 01:46:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As my project “Voyager” falls on it's last days it appears as if it will not reach it's funding. If and when (and that’s a big IF) I ever try to fund this project again, what would be some suggestions that I might want to do differently. I am not a big fan of add-on's, but I might want to rethink that.

I don't think turning your project into a "bizarre bazaar" is the answer.  But you really need to PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF IT, shouting it off rooftops at every opportunity.

Another possible consideration is to find private funding.  When a deck design house like Ellusionist or Theory11 or the others find a talent whose work they love, they want to print it with their brand on it if possible.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
It's my understanding that funding for such projects is usually a U-shaped curve; enthusiasm and novelty at the beginning, ennui around the middle, and then a final lift at the end when it starts coming up on the "ending soon" pages and the creator makes a final marketing push.  So it ain't over til it's over.

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
It's my understanding that funding for such projects is usually a U-shaped curve; enthusiasm and novelty at the beginning, ennui around the middle, and then a final lift at the end when it starts coming up on the "ending soon" pages and the creator makes a final marketing push.  So it ain't over til it's over.

It's those ennui's that are so annoying!  But I agree, normally you get the rush at the beginning, the long slow weeks until the final week and then another influx of interest from people who wanted it but wanted to wait until it was close to the date that Amazon would take their money so they could make sure they had enough cash to cover their pledge.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here who has helped out my project, There is still some time left to help push it to it's goal. If anyone wants to pledge for a large amount, please send me a message and offer and we can go from there

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
30 hours to go with 10,000 of 12,000 funded. It has gained about 1,500 in the past day or so. Going to be close. Good luck TOL.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
13 Hours, 1300 to go.  It's a nail biter!!
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
13 Hours, 1300 to go.  It's a nail biter!!

Even if you don't hit the goal, I think by now you see that there's enough interest in your cards to warrant a second attempt.  Retool the campaign, see if you can lower costs and this time PROMOTE the blasted thing from day one!  :))

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
$11,036 of $12,000 with three hours to go!

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
2 hours to go and still need backers,
even if you don't like the cards you can back the project, just to get my return address, then you can send me all the hate mail you want....lol
honesty I could use some help

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
I've given in and done my little bit for this project. Couldn't quite fill the over $900 gap on my own, but I hope my $19 helps! Good luck!
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I had to cancel my pledge  :( I am hoping it does not make it this time and you can re launch it. I had some unexpected financial problems and do not have enough in my account.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
I had to cancel my pledge  :( I am hoping it does not make it this time and you can re launch it. I had some unexpected financial problems and do not have enough in my account.

WHAT..lol

Keep in touch, I think we can get a deck your why

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Did it make it? cause if it did I will contact you. I just would not have had the money at the time that they would have taken it out.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
BARELY MADE IT
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
By $68. Wow!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Then I need to talk with the designer.

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

WHAT..lol

Keep in touch, I think we can get a deck your why

I noticed you changed your profile pic.
Possibly a teaser for your next deck?  ;D
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member

I noticed you changed your profile pic.
Possibly a teaser for your next deck?  ;D

lol,  not as of right now it'ts not,  I like to play around and do kind of stuff,  just relaxes's my mind.