0 (0%)
Love It
0 (0%)
Hate it
5 (71.4%)
Dont Care
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Binary Playing Cards Version 1 by Jared Low (KS)

Author (Read 4916 times)

Binary Playing Cards Version 1 by Jared Low (KS)
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Binary Playing Cards Version 1

::)

Novelty Playing Cards Designed with Binary Numbers and common Computer Icons for Tech loving people

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Binary Playing Cards Version 1 by Jared Low (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
The absolute worst ive seen.  ???
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I was waiting for someone to post this. I really like the idea of a binary deck and think this has potential, but needs a lot of refinement. I invited the creator to come over to the forum and take a look around hopefully he will, will then update his design some and make what I feel could be a really great deck. If someone doesn't make a good binary deck soon I will steal Lukeout's design concept (http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=5919.msg90256#msg90256) and run with it.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I was waiting for someone to post this. I really like the idea of a binary deck and think this has potential, but needs a lot of refinement. I invited the creator to come over to the forum and take a look around hopefully he will, will then update his design some and make what I feel could be a really great deck. If someone doesn't make a good binary deck soon I will steal Lukeout's design concept (http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=5919.msg90256#msg90256) and run with it.
I guess i just dont get the appeal here.. ::)
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I guess i just dont get the appeal here.. ::)

It's the kind of deck that Leonard would buy for Sheldon's birthday present...

(Translation: it has nerd appeal.)

Unfortunately, it's rather poorly executed.  The courts don't match the theme at all, and putting the name in there the way he did is just plain awkward.  He should have stuck with four-digit binary numerals - eight digits are too many.  All the cards can be represented with the numbers 1 through 13, or in binary, 0001 to 1001 (0000 to 1001 if you count the jokers).

His courts could have been far more entertaining - an ASCII picture for each would have been killer for this.

He could use his chosen suit symbols, but make them INSIDE the traditional suits - better recognition to entice more people to try his deck out.

Well, there are 10 ways to do things in binary - the right way and the wrong way!  This is not the right way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:27:09 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:33:27 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Everytime a binary theme comes up I am just creating a list of what people like and what they don't. I love the ASCII idea Don, that is inspired. I should rejuvenate the design and Dev topic and crowd source more ideas...

Edit for typos
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:23:40 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

New Kickstarter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Visit my Kickstarter page and Support my project of Binary Playing Cards

Just go here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/binary-playing-cards-version-1

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:36:14 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hello,

I can see there has been discussion about my Design and any input is welcome. I'm not an artist and im sure you can tell this is a first run idea for me. I know the 8 digit is long but it helps a little when i used 8 digit for the letters representing the K A J Q for the court cards. The names like Ace and Queen i put there to try and add something unique. This is just a Version 1 and others can be refined over time for future Versions. I feel the biggest draw is using the Icons for Suit Symbols instead of the same old classics. I used the normal type of court cards to keep some kind of recognizable aspect. Thought an ASCII would be a nice idea as a separate Theme on its own for a Version 2 deck, Made a few Changes to see thoughts. I do think taking out the "Words" makes it much cleaner and may actually make that change final.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:35:52 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Hello

Hey BC, welcome to the forum, head over to the Introduce Yourself page of the forum and say hi.

So glad you hopped in to participate, I am really supportive of the binary card idea, but as your project stands now it is not going to get funded. I would love to see you get this deck made; I want a deck like this in my collection.

First if all you need to address the radical inconsistencies in your deck's style, the I/O ace needs to not be a 3D image, make it flat and 2D like the rest of the Aces it looks out of place and gimmicky, if you want  it to be unique find a way to embellish on the 2D design. If you're dead set on it being 3D remove the shadow it is casting.
Make the court cards all the same type of image, having the jack only be a bust but the king and queen be a full image looks bad. I believe Bicycle has stock court images you could use if you don't want to hire someone that is an ASCII pro to design the courts from scratch.
Remove the font on all of the cards, You're right, it looks a lot cleaner. It isn't necessary and detracts from the idea, if you are going to use a font use something like terminal, something that feels digital.
Take the green binary script on the courts and make it read vertically from under the indice, it will be more Matrixy that way and clean the cards up even more. Clean design is critical, especially for a digital age theme.
If you would like some really basic design art I am an adequate digital artist and could help with basic things like designing you a better Ace of Power Icons without you having to pay for design work and maybe assist with the court cards.

Scrap  your current project page and start a new one, include pictures of the cards on the project page, give us more information about your design choices, some background about why you want to make the deck and maybe some information about the symbols for laymen, especially the power icon seeing as how it is a symbol made from binary characters.  Include what the back of the cards is going to look like, how you want the tuck box to look.

Post around on card, design and geek forums, market your design to the people that would be interested in this but also create interest for the people that woulnd't, geeks are a small niche and playing cards will be a hard sell, you need to broaden your scope of target to get this funded even using a low quality printer like makeplayingcards.com. Start discussions and generate conversations like this one in as many places as you can.

You will get a lot of criticism, but I think there is a really great idea in a binary deck and I would support one in a heartbeat that was up to par.

Edited for grammar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:22:27 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I really do like alot of your ideas, but also keep in mind that this is a Novelty Deck and not a "Collectors Deck" with all the bells and whistles. At least at this time, I am planning on making future decks and beleave that this first version will be just that.... a first version, All in All it is what it is. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:34:54 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome to the Forum Jared,
I merged the topic you started with this one. We like to keep each project under one topic. Just helps to keep the place tidy.
Hope to hear more from you. Good luck with your project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Welcome to the Forum Jared,
I merged the topic you started with this one. We like to keep each project under one topic. Just helps to keep the place tidy.
Hope to hear more from you. Good luck with your project.

Thank you, and yes it is good to keep everything Tidy.
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 04:28:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I really do like alot of your ideas, but also keep in mind that this is a Novelty Deck and not a "Collectors Deck" with all the bells and whistles. At least at this time, I am planning on making future decks and beleave that this first version will be just that.... a first version, All in All it is what it is. :)

Bear in mind that most decks appearing on Kickstarter are just that - a first version, with no second version in sight!  Sometimes this is with intent, to make the deck a rare item, while other times it's simply a function of how much time and effort the creator's still willing to put into it, because making and shipping a KS project is not a simple and easy proposition.  You only raise a limited amount of funds with a KS project, only a portion of which finally lands in your pocket as profit when it's completely done and shipped.  (And sometimes, there's no profit at all, just debt and/or disappointed backers.)

Get it right the first time, because you probably won't have a second.

And NEVER, EVER tell your backers that you're making a version with intentional shortcomings on the hope that you'll be making a better version later!  They'll stop showing interest in the first version and wait for that second version, thus the project grinds to a halt as funding evaporates.

Have I mentioned the need to get it right the first time?  Because I can't emphasize that enough, really...  :))

Done well, this could be the next hot seller at ThinkGeek or IWOOT.  Done poorly, it won't see the light of day.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks, The "Version 1.0" serves two purposes in my thinking. 1. because saying version 1.0 is geeky and 2. I do plan to make more not better but different. I have been talking to ThinkGeek about this deck. And I do want it to be done right, but where is the line between "Right" and "Creative Vision" Not everyone will like what I make and others will want to make it what they see in there own "Creative Vision" I will try to the best of my ability to make it a great card.

I have found a way to make some more changes i think will be better per your thoughts and suggestions, Project cancelled and will relaunch soon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:16:44 AM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Speaking of relaunched campaigns on Kickstarter recently the 'Coolest Cooler' was unsuccessful on the first launch and has now received 13 m from backers on the second try. So don't give up if this is truly your dream, go forth, prepare to put in work, improve and try again.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:48:36 AM by Rose »

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I have found a way to make some more changes i think will be better per your thoughts and suggestions, Project cancelled and will relaunch soon

I'm excited to see the relaunch! Good luck, and thank you for being positive and receptive to feedback! See you on KS

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'm excited to see the relaunch! Good luck, and thank you for being positive and receptive to feedback! See you on KS

Here a Link to a PREVIEW of the Re Design
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=f12bff89

This is NOT Live yet...
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I don't think you are comprehending the part of 'prepare to put work into it', for example you cannot just get another artists work and use it as your own...
This king looks like Mark Hayward's work http://omecca.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/playing-card-kings.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:04:41 PM by Rose »

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 01:31:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks, The "Version 1.0" serves two purposes in my thinking. 1. because saying version 1.0 is geeky and 2. I do plan to make more not better but different. I have been talking to ThinkGeek about this deck. And I do want it to be done right, but where is the line between "Right" and "Creative Vision" Not everyone will like what I make and others will want to make it what they see in there own "Creative Vision" I will try to the best of my ability to make it a great card.

Creative vision is a fantastic thing.  Take it to the extreme, however, and you end up with a potential audience of one - you and you alone.  Yes, rules can be bent or even broken - but you'd better have a good reason for it, one that's apparent to the people who see your project.

I see a LOT OF PEOPLE going out there with a creative vision - but they struggle so hard to make their cards unique, they forget about how there's supposed to be attractive and functional.  Go that far and you're just making a handheld art collection that fits in a box and has a limited appeal.

K.I.S.S. APPLIES - rather than pushing so hard on the "unique" button, try using the simple solutions for a while.  While a custom deck is a cool thing, it's only cool to a point - the more you strive to make it unique, the further and further you get from that point of maximum cool.

You can still call a deck "version 1.0" if it's the only version you're making.  When the next hot cellphone comes out in less than a month, most people will wait for that new model rather than buying right away unless they're utterly desperate for a phone - practically no one is ever truly desperate for a pack of cards!  Just get it right the first time, then worry about the next time.

Here a Link to a PREVIEW of the Re Design
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=f12bff89

This is NOT Live yet...

...and it's a good thing it isn't, because it needs tweaking.  The card images are TOO SMALL when you jam eight of them and a lot of negative space into a single image file.  It's almost like you want to hide the details!

Design-wise, I don't see a lot of changes.  Then again, the cards are a bit tiny...

And you still have that odd-ball Ace in there.  Either make all the Aces 3D or none of them.  Frankly, it looks too much like clip art in the first place.  You've added zero embellishments to the icons you're using as suits - it's as simple as copy-and-paste.

I don't think you are comprehending the part of 'prepare to put work into it', for example you cannot just get another artists work and use it as your own...

This king looks like Mark Hayward's work http://omecca.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/playing-card-kings.html

The LAST THING you want to do, Jared, is get involved with using someone else's art for your work.  Last time someone did that and tried to claim it was their own design, he got torn to shreds by people backing for a buck just so they can post the images where the art actually came from!

At least in his case, he was using older books that were in the public domain.  Using the work of a living, creating artist is a BAD IDEA unless you're using it with a copyright license.  I know already of one deck that had a successful campaign and never delivered a single deck because the creator unknowingly used a copyright owned by another company without obtaining permission.  In conjunction with a few other mistakes, it destroyed his card-making career.  He managed over time to refund his backers, but it was a big, fat, hot, wet mess.

You're talking about being original and having a creative vision?  Judging from this, your "vision" is blind as a stone.  You need to seriously go back to the drawing board on this one.  Borrowing some popular icons and someone else's art is not in the least bit original or creative.  It's just foolish and dumb, and it makes you look like you're just here to jump on the cash bandwagon by putting in the least amount of effort creating a gimmicky novelty deck.  It doesn't work that way.  You try jumping on that wagon with this deck, you're going to land up to your neck in mud instead - deeper when the cease-and-desist letters start flying.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I do love all the Creative Criticism and do listen to it, on the other hand I am hearing more of what is wrong rather on what you feel is good. I keep hearing about my Ace of Spades being odd one out but isn't that the case in just about every deck? Isn't the Ace of Space the one that is always different? The mention about someone else art I do understand and I did not say it was mine, I have already talked to the artist. I am not a artist so I have to use what someone else does. I also understand that you can please some of the people all of the time and all the people some of the time but you will never please all the people all the time. There is no way that everyone will like this and someone will always see it a different / better way. I am still currently trying to find a happy medium from your ideas in input but it all still seems on the negative side with little positive. Also like I have mentioned this is meant to be a Novelty and not a Professional Bicycle or USPCC designed deck.
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I do love all the Creative Criticism and do listen to it, on the other hand I am hearing more of what is wrong rather on what you feel is good.

I believe you have a good idea, conceptually you are on point. I love the idea of using the tech symbols as suits, I think that is great. I love the '1.0' name, that is really in theme with the concept, and I like using the 8 digit binary, that feels more tech to me. Your concepts is great, you have the right idea, but the execution is where the criticism is coming into play.

Understanding not everyone will like the design is important, especially with a niche target demographic like 'geeks'. But understanding when you won't have enough pull to get the project funded is more important.
Geeks will appreciate the nod to their culture, but they won't buy a deck just for that nod, the rest of the product needs to be good enough to spend money on. People won't buy a deck of playing cards just because they are nerds, they still want quality design. Not being an artist isn't good enough, people will be paying money, they don't want a 'best effort', they want a finished product.

I worry that the design of the deck isn't consistant enough with the theme.
You have a modern digital concept, but traditional illustrated courts. You have two dimensional pips and ace designs but a three dimensional AoS. The Ace of Spade should be a more unique image, but it should still be in the spirit of the design, in this case the change of dimension looks disjointed and doesn't work.
What are you thinking for the back of the cards? I would like to see what you are thinking.

The KS page also needs more. More information about your design, more insight into your inspiration to make these cards; give people just browsing KS who aren't nerds the information to understand the appeal.
Explain what the suits are, what those symbols mean. Not everyone knows that is the symbol for a universal serial bus, or why that it is cool that you used that.

I like your idea here, I really do, but as it is now it will not reach it's goal. Keep working at it, you have the right idea, you just need to keep working on the design.

Edited for grammar
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:52:13 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Sample Ace's and Back per Justin's request.. The back Is not all that great but it fits the binary theme cause it just 1's n 0's. The court cards I do agree with but I cant seem to find a fit that i like. I did change them to ACSII images instead, but yes they are still typical type Courts. I thought that would leave the overall deck geeky but still give classic recognition for those that dont read binary. It was also my reasoning for putting the words like king and queen on the Court Cards. A friend suggested something like a tablet for the Jack , Laptop for the Queen and a Server for the King.

See KS Preview
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:08:01 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
deleted
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:07:14 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Large View of Court Card Sample for Don

P.S. Sorry for the large amount of space the images take up.

Like the treatment on the court card, the liney interferance on the image looks good and feels really appropriate. would you be able to stretch the court out to fit more of the card?

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Currently in discussions with the Artist so the court cards will change but not sure to what just yet, he may be able to make more Geeky or Tech looking courts. Stay Tuned
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:39:37 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I do love all the Creative Criticism and do listen to it, on the other hand I am hearing more of what is wrong rather on what you feel is good. I keep hearing about my Ace of Spades being odd one out but isn't that the case in just about every deck? Isn't the Ace of Space the one that is always different? The mention about someone else art I do understand and I did not say it was mine, I have already talked to the artist. I am not a artist so I have to use what someone else does. I also understand that you can please some of the people all of the time and all the people some of the time but you will never please all the people all the time. There is no way that everyone will like this and someone will always see it a different / better way. I am still currently trying to find a happy medium from your ideas in input but it all still seems on the negative side with little positive. Also like I have mentioned this is meant to be a Novelty and not a Professional Bicycle or USPCC designed deck.

The deck had some flaws, as we saw it.  We offered ideas to rectify them.

Yes, the Ace of Spades is usually a stand-out card different from the rest.  But if the deck's art is two-dimensional, the AoS is usually two-dimensional as well.  Same applies for a three-d deck.  Your 3D AoS looks like the square peg you're trying to jam into the smaller, round hole.

Fine, you're not an artist.  Not a big deal.  But if you use another artist's work, get the proper copyright issues squared away.  USPC will not even touch a deck design that doesn't have all of its intellectual property rights cleanly and neatly arranged in advance.  Smart printers follow suit - no one likes to expose themselves to a lawsuit.

Don't knock novelty decks!  Do you realize how many "Square Decks" and "Crooked Decks" have been sold over the years?  The folks who developed them made a fortune, despite how most collectors would turn a blind eye to them.  They're not always the best-quality, best-made cards out there, but if you're selling millions of them, does that really matter?  (The answer is "No, I like bringing wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank on a regular basis!")  The Pet Rock, Rubik's Cube and Tamagotchi were novelties - and made more money than I could count in my lifetime.

Not every novelty does that well.  But they don't have to in order to turn a good profit.  You just need that combination of right design, right place, right time.

Sample Ace's and Back per Justin's request.. The back Is not all that great but it fits the binary theme cause it just 1's n 0's. The court cards I do agree with but I cant seem to find a fit that i like. I did change them to ACSII images instead, but yes they are still typical type Courts. I thought that would leave the overall deck geeky but still give classic recognition for those that dont read binary. It was also my reasoning for putting the words like king and queen on the Court Cards. A friend suggested something like a tablet for the Jack , Laptop for the Queen and a Server for the King.

Your friend's suggestion is very sound.  I'd consider a smartphone for the Jack - laptops and tablets are rapidly becoming the same device these days, so it will "future-proof" your design a little.  Of course, traditional courts in ASCII also works perfectly fine and are timeless, as future-proof as an idea gets.  Perhaps the "gadget edition" will be your 2.0 deck?  Also, as Justin mentioned, make the courts larger - look at how big they are on a standard pack of cards and aim for something around that size, something that fills the card face more.

I notice that you're now using ASCII art for the courts and the card back.  One issue may crop up in both cases - the level of detail may be too high to capture with offset printing.  Make the ASCII characters a bit larger and use larger numerals for the back.  And using a horizontal bar in the middle to separate court halves went out of style about a hundred years ago or more except perhaps in Parisian decks or French tarot decks (the game tarot not the divination system tarot).  Also, consider a change to the colors on the back.  It's a contrast issue - a design with low contrast will end up looking like mud, especially when it has so many tiny details to capture.  Make the backs jet black with white numerals, like you'd see on an old-school Radio Shack TRS-80 or a MS-DOS (pre-Windows, pre-GUI, pre-mouse) computer.  Without a doubt - REMOVE the deck name from the back of the cards.  The proper place for that would be on the Ace of Spades.  All it does for your design is make the back one-way, thus unsuitable for competitive card games.  Wise poker players never use a deck with a one-way back.

I mentioned that eight bits was a lot for a specific reason - no one wants to fan their cards that wide or, if you print it vertically, have to look that far down just to be able to read your indices.  While you are trying to appeal to a geek audience, you always want to try to keep the indices as easy to read as possible.  Four-digit binary is plenty, and people will easily be able to figure out that 10112 or 1110 is a jack, 11002 or 1210 is a queen and 11012 or 1310 is a king - it's not rocket science.  Some card marking systems already employ such a system - and if you were interested, you COULD make a marked deck out of this by using the binary numerals on the backs in a subtle way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:46:08 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 03:55:45 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the input, I hope im not coming off as rude in my reply's. The back I agree about the one-way thing, didn't think about that. Using objects or "non" traditional courts are good, but my question is if using like a cellphone as a Jack how does anyone know thats a Jack and not a king or a Queen? I know all the pieces to this puzzle are here just trying to put them in the right places.

AoS Better ? See KS preview Below
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:58:47 AM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the input, I hope im not coming off as rude in my reply's. The back I agree about the one-way thing, didn't think about that. Using objects or "non" traditional courts are good, but my question is if using like a cellphone as a Jack how does anyone know thats a Jack and not a king or a Queen? I know all the pieces to this puzzle are here just trying to put them in the right places.

AoS Better ?

It now looks like it belongs in the deck with the rest of the cards.  Why the "penciled-in" look, though?

If you were being genuinely rude, I wouldn't be typing this post right now!  Relax, I don't bite...usually...  :))

When you mentioned the idea of laptops, servers, etc., I thought you meant having the court character either holding the item or (in the case of the server kings), seated next to it as if it was on a desk.

It still could be used as you suggested.  In terms of processing power, they're listed in order from smartphone to laptop computer to network server.  Jack to Queen to King!  If you want to really drive it home, each device has a large-enough screen that you could add a "photo" of the traditional version of the court right there - a Jack's image on the smartphone, a Queen's image on the laptop, etc.  This would also allow you to include the traditional design conventions used by some poker players for identifying cards, such as one-eyed Jacks, the Suicide King, the Bedpost Queen, the Man with the Axe, etc.

I still firmly think that a four-bit rank is the better way to go.  The cards do have to be practical to use, or even a geek won't bother.  It takes up less space and the extra bits are completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:33:16 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I have it noted about the 8 digit code and the code through the middle. And the back is got to change too. Maybe a circuit board back? But that sounds cheesy to me. I like the idea of making a back that could be marked. My most focus is on court cards first. Also what do you think about the added look of original suits to the Aces?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:07:36 AM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I have it noted about the 8 digit code and the code through the middle. And the back is got to change too. Maybe a circuit board back? But that sounds cheesy to me. I like the idea of making a back that could be marked. My most focus is on court cards first. Also what do you think about the added look of original suits to the Aces?

I love the theme and have been looking for a proper tech themed deck.  I also like alternate suit concept.  However, some of your cards look too minimalist and the courts/jokers have way too much going on and too many fonts/styles.  I also think your renders not having rounded corners make it look amateur...work on presentation next time as well (take a close look at KS pages for well known decks - you need good images as well).

The Zbyte deck below uses the standard digit AND the binary equivalent, not that I suggest making it look like that, but you can do both is my point.  Also, the largest value you need is a 13 for King, maybe 14 if you don't use 0 for Jokers which is also how Zbyte handled it.  However 1111 = 8+4+2+1=15 so really you only need 4 digits...why does the King show as 01001011 = 128+8+2+1 = 139 and whatever that HUGE number in the center??? 

In addition to the more recent code:deck, below are images of Zbyte and Compucards decks from many years ago.  I loved the back of the recent Grid 2.0 which was a great improvement over original, but the courts and faces ruined that one for me.  So yeah, a circuit board style back can work well.  I've also seen a few others, but the are either too geeky or just touch on tech.  I personally would prefer to see a well done tech themed deck without being too retro or cheesy.  Perhaps that also might expand your reach past the hardcore geeks.

If you can rework things to be more accessible/playable and also more consistent and clear design (without being just minimalistic) you might have something.

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
@ecNate , the Numbers on the court cards stand for K in king and J in Jack , the longer readout translates to King or Queen. Its all still being worked on.

KS Preview Link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=eced1684

Not Live, But I posted a NEW Look for the Aces and Card Back.. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:06:00 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@ecNate , the Numbers on the court cards stand for K in king and J in Jack , the longer readout translates to King or Queen. Its all still being worked on.

KS Preview Link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=eced1684

Not Live, But I posted a NEW Look for the Aces and Card Back.. Thoughts?

Card Fronts, With or W/Out design ?

Fronts without design in the background.  It really adds nothing and makes it look cluttered to have that there.

Still wondering why the vaguely smoky/sketchy look to the Ace pips.  Just draw them, plain and simple.  When I think computers, binary, etc., the last thing on my mind is something that looks hand-drawn or like a puff of smoke.

The new back is actually not bad.  And with a little work, you can make a marked back - but remember, if you do make it a marked deck, you're cutting down a fair amount of your potential audience.  Most people who buy cards are buying them to play with and prefer a straight deck, no gimmicks or markings.  Consider a marked version as a stretch goal.

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
thanks, im not really going for a marked back, and the added front design was just a trial thing too see what other thought. I agree it add clutter. The added classic pip look is just for the aces because they look to plain otherwise and kind of add a little bit of familiarity.
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
thanks, im not really going for a marked back, and the added front design was just a trial thing too see what other thought. I agree it add clutter. The added classic pip look is just for the aces because they look to plain otherwise and kind of add a little bit of familiarity.

[headthump target=wall][/headthump]

It's not that they are the classic pip designs - it's that they look like puffs of smoke or something.  Geeks and smoke are usually a sign of danger!  The smoky/smudgy/whatever-you-call-it effect doesn't fit with the rest of the deck.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ace Design Test, Top or Bottom or just Plan solid color pip. The pip can be made a darker black too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:38:37 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Of those designs, the one on top really looks like an ACE OF SPADES.  It's the better of the two.

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:17 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Love the new AoS!! Change the brand font.

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 03:02:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Love the new AoS!! Change the brand font.

Agreed - it's a cheesy PC font and looks like something better suited to a RenFaire than a binary deck.

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks, I will be away for awhile so this has to go on hold for a bit but I will continue to work on it
Creator of BinCards