You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors v7

Author (Read 75577 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors v7
« Reply #375 on: February 09, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I think now that the individual boxes are out, I might pick up an extra red, blue and green - and put the sealed ones away.

BTW the "carbon" discount still worked as of Saturday night
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:43:08 PM by DavidKenney »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Meanwhile, check out who won the Smoke and Mirrors v7 Promo Contest (something I didn't even know about):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_R7TMl4GY
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #377 on: February 10, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I think now that the individual boxes are out, I might pick up an extra red, blue and green - and put the sealed ones away.

BTW the "carbon" discount still worked as of Saturday night

I can understand why people are up in arms about the current sale of single decks from the box set, But if your like me, I bought the boxed set with no intention of breaking the seal on the decks of cards. I'm actually a little glad that they released the single decks, I was wondering how different the handling of the re-releases were compared to the originals so I bought a few of the single decks to play around with and compare and I don't have to open the "collectors" set. I guess it all depends on how you look at the situation that determines if this bothers you or not. Although, if I bought the set and opened them to use the cards I guess this move would get on my nerves a little.

Oh the reason I qouted above is because the "CARBON" discount still worked this morning. thanks for the tip. :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:30:23 PM by S.C. »

« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I'm ecstatic they released them in singles. I REALLY wanted the Smoke deck and the Mirror deck, but I didn't want to buy the whole freakin box set.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'm ecstatic they released them in singles. I REALLY wanted the Smoke deck and the Mirror deck, but I didn't want to buy the whole freakin box set.

I couldn't help myself and picked up one of each of those decks  ;D although I think I want to buy another set.... Must.... Fight.... The.... Urge!  :-[ I don't think it's too late to add to my order either seeing as they won't ship till at least mid next week...
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #380 on: February 10, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I couldn't help myself and picked up one of each of those decks  ;D although I think I want to buy another set.... Must.... Fight.... The.... Urge!  :-[ I don't think it's too late to add to my order either seeing as they won't ship till at least mid next week...

Well, the original V4s, V5s, and V6s are still available if you don't mind eating nothing but Ramen for a week. It's the V3s that'll set me back to when found 5 dollars in first grade.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #381 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I'm lucky enough to have the original V4-6s in quantities more than 1. I haven't found any of the original V1-3s for anything less than an arm and a leg unfortunately. I think that's the reason I bought these new versions (not sure if to call them reprints cause they do have more than just a few points that're different from the originals). But my fund that was exclusively set aside for my collecting is dwindling so I felt it wise not to buy more than one of the Smoke and one of the Mirrors.

I don't think it's too late to tag an extra one on without having to pay for shipping (hopefully). Still debating on whether or not I should be unwise and just get an extra so I can leave one sealed.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #382 on: February 10, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
yea, I am in the same boat, I had them all in my shopping cart with my finger over the button and my wife in the other room yelling at me, "We owe taxes this year!"

Curse you Uncle Sam for standing between me and cards. I need a sugar daddy.
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Are the carbon copy boxes the same as the v7 boxset? I tried googling but dont see pictures of it anywhere.

« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Are the carbon copy boxes the same as the v7 boxset? I tried googling but dont see pictures of it anywhere.

No. The Carbon Copy box has only the v7 Carbon decks in it- 6 of them, to be exact. The v7 boxset has one of each of the "new" Smoke and Mirrors v7 decks- Smoke, Mirror, Eco, Denim, Rouge, and Carbon.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
yea, I am in the same boat, I had them all in my shopping cart with my finger over the button and my wife in the other room yelling at me, "We owe taxes this year!"

Curse you Uncle Sam for standing between me and cards. I need a sugar daddy.

No, you like women.  You need a sugar momma...  :))

As I see it, the version seven release isn't something to freak out over.  Performance-wise, they're practically identical to most custom releases that have come out since Magic Finish became standard.  That's not a bad thing, but it also makes decks seem more or less the same, with only the design setting them apart.  These all have pretty straightforward USPC faces, so it's only the backs that make them interesting.  But even there, we've seen these styles before - they're old, relative to the modern custom-deck release cycle.  Smoke and Mirror (Luxury Edition) are a little more distinctive, but the rest are the same thing done over and over since version 4, the Eco edition.  I'm not one to gripe too much these days about color changes, but using the same design over and over like that?  Imagine one of the other card companies releasing simple recolorations of the same deck for roughly two years or more - you'd get tired of them.  Just as I'm tired of the S&M series.

Now the New Fan Backs and Steamboats - that's another story altogether...   :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I received the individual decks from the V7s yesterday and had little chance to actually break them in well. But initial handling opinion sides with Don's in that it handles like any other Magic Finish deck out there. Nicely, but nothing special.

Can't stand to see faces still. I held them up next to the original version courts and shed a small tear. I know it was also said already but I find it interesting how the whites on these aren't actually white. They did the same with the new Steamboats. I liked it on the Steamboats but honestly not so much on these.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:27:14 AM by Michael »

« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:12 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

No. The Carbon Copy box has only the v7 Carbon decks in it- 6 of them, to be exact. The v7 boxset has one of each of the "new" Smoke and Mirrors v7 decks- Smoke, Mirror, Eco, Denim, Rouge, and Carbon.
Sorry i wasnt clear enough. I was referring to the exterior black box that the decks come with. But thanks for trying to clear my queries anyways :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:56:58 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:

Sorry i wasnt clear enough. I was referring to the exterior black box that the decks come with. But thanks for trying to clear my queries anyways :)

Ah, well, I believe the black boxes are the same, but the sleeves that go over the top of the boxes are different.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2013, 03:39:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I received the individual decks from the V7s yesterday and had little chance to actually break them in well. But initial handling opinion sides with Don's in that it handles like any other Magic Finish deck out there. Nicely, but nothing special.

Can't stand to see faces still. I held them up next to the original version courts and shed a small tear. I know it was also said already but I find it interesting how the whites on these aren't actually white. They did the same with the new Steamboats. I liked it on the Steamboats but honestly not so much on these.

Yeah, they started that with the Vintage Plaid decks.  I gotta say, of all the colors I'd use to make a deck appear aged, pale puke green would NOT be my first, second or third choice...  Why give them an aged look at all, really?  They're not decades old, nor are the originals they're modeled after!  That green doesn't make them look old - it makes them look contaminated!

« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Ah, well, I believe the black boxes are the same, but the sleeves that go over the top of the boxes are different.
What sleeves? didnt they come in plastic wrap?

« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Yeah, they started that with the Vintage Plaid decks.  I gotta say, of all the colors I'd use to make a deck appear aged, pale puke green would NOT be my first, second or third choice...  Why give them an aged look at all, really?  They're not decades old, nor are the originals they're modeled after!  That green doesn't make them look old - it makes them look contaminated!

Hmm I didn't recall that the Vintage Plaids were like that as well. Maybe I should've paid more attention to my decks :D ah well. And I don't really mind the aged color... Maybe yes, a little less green would be nice. But I don't understand why you'd do that with the S&Ms. They're supposed to be the "perfect set of perfect cards" or however they were trying to advertise them. I'd imagine they wanted more of a cutting edge, everything redesigned feel. Not a vintage and aged feel.

What sleeves? didnt they come in plastic wrap?

I'm guessing the "sleeve" he's referring to is the cover? Not really a sleeve but what else could he be referring to?

« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I loved the shading on the vintage plaid. It tied in really, really nice with the theme and design. It was also done in more of a beige shade, so they didn't look too sickly.
Can't say the same for these though. Haven't seen them irl.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2013, 08:16:52 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Correct, I misspoke. I meant to say cover, not sleeve. I was referring to the cover that goes over the top of the box.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:18:38 PM by Fanofyankees13 »

« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:34 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Correct, I misspoke. I meant to say cover, not sleeve. I was referring to the cover that goes over the top of the box.
how different? So they don't say smoke and mirror?

« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2013, 01:30:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The boxes are the same.  They're actually all the same "Smoke and Mirrors v7" series.  The Carbon Copy boxes are numbered 7,001-7,777.  They have different certificates of authenticity.

On top is the standard boxed set, while on the bottom is the Carbon Copy set - the certificate is black and states "Carbon Copy" in the bottom left.  But the boxes are the same.

« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:51 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Ah that's a good distinction! I think that makes perfect sense even though I haven't seen a picture of the lid. I like the fact that (if it does also say Smoke and Mirrors) that they keep with the idea that "it's all V7" and make these like a special few sets.

« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but to recap.........

I just can't keep track of all of this when I'm looking for decks.

Smoke was released in it's original 3 versions
Mirror was released in it's original 3 versions
Eco was released in it's original and ??
Denim was released in it's original and ??
Rouge was released in it's original and??
Carbon??

I'm just looking to represent S&M in my collection, I don't mind the reprints, I just want to know what I'm looking at and for. I just picked up a Smoke, Mirror, Eco and Denim...not originals. But what are they, I noticed the tucks are diffrent than my v6, are they re releases or the re releases, lol

Below is what I have in my collection, Gracias in advance.......now I need a Tylenol
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:04:20 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Your V6 is an original.  All the rest are part of the V7 reprints. 

Eco was released in it's original, Original w/ seal and V7 Reprints
Denim was released in it's original and V7 Reprints
Rouge was released in it's original and V7 Reprints
Carbon Part of V7 Run

I'm sure others can add to this list but thats the basics

« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook: