You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors v7

Author (Read 75562 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors v7
« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2012, 03:34:04 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I really think it hurts the entire series overall, since the amount of different decks in the series essentially doubled overnight, and there are 60000 extra decks in the series that used to be quite limited.  I don't think I would mind as much if they only released a reprint of only the v6s or even the v5s, but to go all the way back to v3s is really just diluting the value of owning any individual deck in the series, resale or not (again, v1 and v2 aren't really affected by this and I think their value won't drop).

so yes, it hurts resellers, although I and pretty much everyone here don't care about them. It hurts people who only wanted v7s, but it also hurts people who already own the originals, imo. I don't actually have any Smoke and Mirrors besides v6 so don't take this like I'm complaining about my own decks, but this is just in my opinion somewhat of a downfall of a once prestigious series of playing cards.

These reprints are just that - REPRINTS.  The only new deck in there is v7.  The other decks are not identical to the original versions, so no, they don't serve as replacements for them.  If someone can't afford the originals and just likes the style, that person would be thrilled to have this boxed set.  But to real collectors, it doesn't mean a lot, unless they happen to be hardcore completists.  To less-rabid collectors, only the v7 deck matters.

To not sell the v7 deck separately - it's nuts.  It's going to take weeks, if not months, to sell out that print run.  It will likely be the first - and last - S&M release to take so long to sell out.

And don't delude yourself into thinking that the series was all that limited.  While the first versions were likely made in small numbers, since they had no idea of how they'd appeal to customers and the custom deck craze was very new, the latter versions were ordered in quantities of 20-30K.
I second that. The reprints are actually slightly different from the previous versions, With the box, court cards, and jokers being slightly different from the 'originals'. The court cards are now standard and recolored instead of simplified, the box looks like it has a matte finish and is embossed has the new S&M logo (which I think completes the boxes and the v4, 5 and 6 had a 'hole in the centre of the box front) and the jokers don't have the 'D' pips on the corners. Not forgetting the perforated seals. The smoke and mirror box also makes this very much a collectable.

This is like a mini-review from the pictures shone.

« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2012, 03:58:57 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
for people like me who doesnt own any S&M. the box is perfect. D&D made a smart choice by letting go the old customers and try to suck in new customers.

« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:32 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm fine with the all new smoke&mirrors, the old one will remain value no matter what.
But what seems not fair is the price. 85$ should get you a brick not just half brick.
The box set wont cause that much you know.

Also, I believe there are some people who bought this set thinking they will get the original v3-v6.
Some might bought a lot of sets, hmmm don't know what they'll feel after they see it themself that those are all reprints.

Pictures are not cleared, words are not cleared.
And they once said that V6 is their last colored SM.

« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I don't really mind this release. I mean, I was hoping it would be just one deck and I could get two or three of them for a few bucks so I was pretty surprised by this. I ordered the entire original series a few days ago, but I'm never going to use them, so this is a nice way to enjoy them (sort of) without opening the originals and also getting the last of the series. The price is a little high but I can save up since they'll be in stock a while.

« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I don't really mind this release. I mean, I was hoping it would be just one deck and I could get two or three of them for a few bucks so I was pretty surprised by this. I ordered the entire original series a few days ago, but I'm never going to use them, so this is a nice way to enjoy them (sort of) without opening the originals and also getting the last of the series. The price is a little high but I can save up since they'll be in stock a while.

At over $14 a deck for the set, it'll be around a GOOD while...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

TheDespotes

About the price of the originals,
some people complain that the price of the originals will get lower, I say that those people don't need to complain! Has the first edition of the black ghost deck lowered in value, after the internet flooded with second editions? I dont think so, so dont complain!

« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Has the first edition of the black ghost deck lowered in value, after the internet flooded with second editions? I dont think so, so dont complain!
I think it has. Did the first 1st Edition Black Ghost sell for $200, now the price has cut in half.

EDIT: For those who were looking to get a v7 the cheaper method, by purchasing an uncut sheet, tough luck, because they are sold out. Better get the Deluxe Box before they're gone.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:43:11 PM by KPopFever605 »
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Has the first edition of the black ghost deck lowered in value, after the internet flooded with second editions? I dont think so, so dont complain!
I think it has. Did the first 1st Edition Black Ghost sell for $200, now the price has cut in half.

Actually, it first sold for as much as $450.  The price drop had nothing to do with the release of the second edition and more to do with more of them becoming available in the marketplace.  Most rare decks sell high at first then stabilize at a lower price.

« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2012, 05:56:13 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I'm not trying to contradict myself but these are starting to grow on me. The only thing that gets me is the price and the court cards.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Does this mean that the twins are messing around with us and after all there is a new S&M deck?
Now I'm confused!
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
Does this mean that the twins are messing around with us and after all there is a new S&M deck?
Now I'm confused!

V7 is the Deluxe set with 6 decks. Carbon is the new coloured, the other 5 are reprints with modifications with the cards. All 6 decks are V7.

V1-3 are 2 decks each. V7 happens to be 6.

« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Ah, ok. Thank you for the explanation.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
All 6 decks are V7.

Yep! - That's why Fulton stated in his newsletter that v7 was more than just a deck, it was the whole series.

« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
some people complain that the price of the originals will get lower, I say that those people don't need to complain! Has the first edition of the black ghost deck lowered in value, after the internet flooded with second editions? I dont think so, so dont complain!

1st Ed. BG sold for $400-500 in its prime, and now sells for ~100 because of all the "limited" decks on the market. The BGv1 has a totally different design than BGv2 though. v2 is not a reprint of v1.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2012, 01:57:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

1st Ed. BG sold for $400-500 in its prime, and now sells for ~100 because of all the "limited" decks on the market. The BGv1 has a totally different design than BGv2 though. v2 is not a reprint of v1.

I know there are slight differences between the decks, but for the most part, they're the same.  The biggest differences are in the jokers and the box, and that's about it.  BGv1 and BGv2 are about as different from each other as White Lions Series A and Series B.

« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I'm having mixed feelings about this. I really hoped they'd release a single deck for purchase, but I kind of like the idea of the entire series revamp. I don't think that these will drop the value of the original because they're all sold in a set, not individually.
The REAL disappointment comes from the fact that the court cards don't have that minimalistic style that the previous decks do.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm having mixed feelings about this. I really hoped they'd release a single deck for purchase, but I kind of like the idea of the entire series revamp. I don't think that these will drop the value of the original because they're all sold in a set, not individually.
The REAL disappointment comes from the fact that the court cards don't have that minimalistic style that the previous decks do.

All in all, I consider it disappointing.  But I lost interest in their decks anyway, so it's no big loss to me.  That court card thing, though - it was what made the decks unique and appealing.  Ditching those was a tactical error, I think.  As well as not releasing a real v7 deck instead of a boxed set.

« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Yeah... I think I might have to pass on picking up a box set.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #343 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Saw via twitter tonight that apparently they are taking each deck and hand applying the seals, and there does not appear to be any cellophane. That answers the question of how they would make sure their special seal gets aligned right with the tuck flap.

Having just hand applied a bunch of those myself, that is not an enviable job, when you have 60,000 decks to do. Uh.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Saw via twitter tonight that apparently they are taking each deck and hand applying the seals, and there does not appear to be any cellophane. That answers the question of how they would make sure their special seal gets aligned right with the tuck flap.

Having just hand applied a bunch of those myself, that is not an enviable job, when you have 60,000 decks to do. Uh.
That's probably why it costs so much. It's very tedious and takes a very long while to apply that many on.

« Reply #345 on: November 30, 2012, 12:25:03 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I'm all for one on this box set. I never bought or owned any of the Smoke and Mirrors ever. When  the smoke and mirrors came out, I was only a senior in high school with no job or money  :P

Sure the V7 set is not exactly the same as the original versions but the backs of the cards are super cool, especially the black carbon fiber back. I'm definitely buying this.

In my opinion, I don't think this set will lower the value of the previous versions because the older version have superior simplified court cards and I think good face coloring. They did some funky coloring on this new set with colors matching the backs... nasty... I'm not opening the green and blue deck for sure. Definitely opening the red and black dot patterned decks and the black designer back deck because they look coolest in my opinion.
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »

amateur101

just recieved mine today and cracked them all open! the v3s are using a slightly darkened card stock, you will definetly notice it on the white ones and the v4,v5,v7 has metallic backs and the hearts and diamonds are the color of the deck and are metallic as well, same with some of the court cards. They got a wierd smell but will sure go away after some time. I really enjoy this collection and do not regret buying it even tho people dislike the are reprints its great for the people who do not have the money to blow on the originals oh and it has a bit smaller borders and softer stock
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:32:58 PM by amateur101 »

« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Technically, most decks have a unique smell, but that smell diminishes over time. I should have a video unboxing of all my Black Friday packages, including the Deluxe Box, up at the end of the week. I just have to find time for Youtube to upload 16 hours worth of HD video. : P

« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
just recieved mine today and cracked them all open! the v3s are using a slightly darkened card stock, you will definetly notice it on the white ones and the v4,v5,v7 has metallic backs and the hearts and diamonds are the color of the deck and are metallic as well, same with some of the court cards. They got a wierd smell but will sure go away after some time. I really enjoy this collection and do not regret buying it even tho people dislike the are reprints its great for the people who do not have the money to blow on the originals oh and it has a bit smaller borders and softer stock

I was starting to get very tempted to buy these but in the end I found that it would be more fulfilling to get the originals. My reason being that they are rarer and have a lot more charisma and history to them.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

I was starting to get very tempted to buy these but in the end I found that it would be more fulfilling to get the originals. My reason being that they are rarer and have a lot more charisma and history to them.
In a few years to come, these will turn rarer and have a much history to the too. Factoring in the custom seals, signatures and the custom box, I think they are definitely worth the price. What you are paying for is guaranteed quality.