You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors v7

Author (Read 75586 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors v7
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I dont think you can though as you always have to re-enter credit card information.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #301 on: November 23, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
reprints of all the old versions? If they were originals then this would be a pretty insane deal (v4-v6 can already run you over 70 bucks on ebay, so add in the even rarer v3s and the new v7s and it works out to a lot less than you'd pay for for each deck individually). 10000 reprints each is basically a joke, especially for 85 bucks a set. If they release the deck individually then I'll consider getting them but this is just a huge letdown imo.

« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I am extremely disappointed with this release. They have a world renowned playing card series and they end it like this?

« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
reprints of all the old versions? If they were originals then this would be a pretty insane deal (v4-v6 can already run you over 70 bucks on ebay, so add in the even rarer v3s and the new v7s and it works out to a lot less than you'd pay for for each deck individually). 10000 reprints each is basically a joke, especially for 85 bucks a set. If they release the deck individually then I'll consider getting them but this is just a huge letdown imo.

I completely agree. As much as I love Dan and Dave's products, this is a huge let down. For one, its cheapens the value of the original decks and the series and when you release a deck called v7 we expect it to be a singular deck. Now it's not so much that stuff that pisses me off. It's the fact that a quality company has become subjected to the collector community and has not necessarily been disregarding their main targets (Cardists and Magicians) but they seem to have lost that special touch. I think this release was overboard. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:28:13 PM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
The way this was hyped up had me thinking the v7 was going to be a completely redesigned deck, still sticking with the themes of Smoke and Mirrors. But in reality it's just a recoloured deck thrown in with a box of reprinted decks. And to put the icing on the cake, I can't even navigate my account without being shown the order information of different members.......
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #305 on: November 23, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
so for sure there is no individual releases? i guess it doesnt matter now. just bought 5 bricks of Silver Split Spades and i am more than happy 

« Reply #306 on: November 23, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
so for sure there is no individual releases? i guess it doesnt matter now. just bought 5 bricks of Silver Split Spades and i am more than happy

Holy shit that's a lot.
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #307 on: November 23, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Although I still am very disappointed with this new release because the V7s have not been redesigned, D&D said this on their Twitter account:

Question:
@bucktwins will the v7 be offered individually? Thanks. Gorgeous box set!

Reply:
@joshbrand right now, the v7 is only available as part of the box set.

They also stated that there would be no more V7s.... taken by me to mean to more will be printed
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #308 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

vmagic

How did you get the split spades? They dont come out until sunday!

« Reply #309 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
How did you get the split spades? They dont come out until sunday!
He probably got them by ordering them on www.davidblaine.com

« Reply #310 on: November 23, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
You can buy the V7s apart from the collection now.... if you buy the corresponding uncut sheets for $29.95!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #311 on: November 23, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »

poisonpuppet

• Newcomer
This is so stupid! Not only have they destroyed the series by printing 10,000 but they have ruined our hard efforts in collecting the originals v3-v6 -.- I think this is so stupid! $85 for 6 virtually unlimited decks... What is going on :(

« Reply #312 on: November 23, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
profit thats what happened

« Reply #313 on: November 23, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I mean it's not like they're making money directly from sales on the previous versions anymore, so this really seems like one last attempt to cash in on the smoke and mirrors brand for them. It's a shame though, because they basically had one of the most well-known and respected brands in playing cards, took it out back and shot it in the head by flooding the market with another 60,000 decks.

I guess that's really it for the series. Probably won't matter to D&D since they can just laugh all the way to the bank, but it's gonna hurt the value and collectability of the rest of the series (except maybe for the first two editions, but even then I could see them being worth less)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:14:46 PM by sr15 »

« Reply #314 on: November 23, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
This is so stupid! Not only have they destroyed the series by printing 10,000 but they have ruined our hard efforts in collecting the originals v3-v6 -.- I think this is so stupid! $85 for 6 virtually unlimited decks... What is going on :(
It doesn't ruin anything it only ruins it for people that are selling them for more than they are really worth !

« Reply #315 on: November 23, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I don't think this ruins the original v1-v6 at all.

The originals are different, v1-3 all have different designs and are printed on really good stock from Cincinnati. They're amazing decks. The reprints are on soft Kentucky stock.

Also, the originals are THE ORIGINALS. Would you want a brick of the new ones for $50 or a brick of the original ones for $100? You may want the cheaper option, but for collectors, and as a collector myself, reprints are mostly ignored.

I will say that this is a sad end to the series.

I have eight spots left open on my shelf for the conclusion to the S&M decks, but I don't know what to put there now since all they did was release a recolored deck and useless reprints in a box (how do I display a box on my shelf?)

This just goes to show you how far the mighty can fall when they hop on the half-ass bandwagon that literally 99% of producers are on right now.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

vmagic

The originals are different, v1-3 all have different designs and are printed on really good stock from Cincinnati. They're amazing decks. The reprints are on soft Kentucky stock.

Also, the originals are THE ORIGINALS. Would you want a brick of the new ones for $50 or a brick of the original ones for $100? You may want the cheaper option, but for collectors, and as a collector myself, reprints are mostly ignored.

I have eight spots left open on my shelf for the conclusion to the S&M decks, but I don't know what to put there now since all they did was release a recolored deck and useless reprints in a box (how do I display a box on my shelf?)

This just goes to show you how far the mighty can fall when they hop on the half-ass bandwagon that literally 99% of producers are on right now.

Yes that is all true, however I have never seen a brick of the originals anywhere, let alone for $100. And personally I think this is great for everyone who didn't get a chance to get the originals. I've managed to get everything but the V2s but I still got this.

« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Yes that is all true, however I have never seen a brick of the originals anywhere, let alone for $100. And personally I think this is great for everyone who didn't get a chance to get the originals. I've managed to get everything but the V2s but I still got this.

You can get a brick of these? As far I see you can only get a box set. I would be down for a brick of the Carbon decks (if they were reasonably priced) as well as some of the other ones.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
IMHO, I think this is a great way to end the series. For those who didn't manage to own any of the previous version, you can at least now get a feel of how they look like and feel. For collectors who already have the previous versions, this is slightly different and are numbered and signed. I personally would get 2 sets. 1 to open and 1 to keep. They also reprinted the v3s which I think have the nicest back design as compared to the v1 and 2. Although the price is a little on the high side, the resale value and collective should answer for it. What's more? U get the v7 which we all have been waitin for

« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
this only hurts the resellers so idk still a big let down tho

« Reply #320 on: November 24, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
And here I thought they were only going to screw up by making the v7 in the same design as v4-6 with a new color...but they managed to take it a level higher.

As I've said before, love the magic they sell, they're really nice guys, but their decks (at least to me) are a different story.  The decks may have been much greater in the past, but now they're little more than a deck factory - how many releases did they have this year alone?  And the decks they designed were (again, in my opinion) kind of lackluster.

But I'm sure that in time they'll sell every single box, especially to those new collectors for whom the originals are just out of reach in terms of price.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2012, 01:13:23 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
And here I thought they were only going to screw up by making the v7 in the same design as v4-6 with a new color...but they managed to take it a level higher.

As I've said before, love the magic they sell, they're really nice guys, but their decks (at least to me) are a different story.  The decks may have been much greater in the past, but now they're little more than a deck factory - how many releases did they have this year alone?  And the decks they designed were (again, in my opinion) kind of lackluster.

But I'm sure that in time they'll sell every single box, especially to those new collectors for whom the originals are just out of reach in terms of price.

You hit the nail on the head there. The deck releases were ones you looked forward to in the past. They were great releases and they hype was worth it. THIS however is a case of them being greedy and having absolute lacklustre products. Disappointing end.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2012, 02:15:02 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
this only hurts the resellers so idk still a big let down tho
It also hurts those buyers who are only interested in the v7 deck too!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #323 on: November 24, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I really think it hurts the entire series overall, since the amount of different decks in the series essentially doubled overnight, and there are 60000 extra decks in the series that used to be quite limited.  I don't think I would mind as much if they only released a reprint of only the v6s or even the v5s, but to go all the way back to v3s is really just diluting the value of owning any individual deck in the series, resale or not (again, v1 and v2 aren't really affected by this and I think their value won't drop).

so yes, it hurts resellers, although I and pretty much everyone here don't care about them. It hurts people who only wanted v7s, but it also hurts people who already own the originals, imo. I don't actually have any Smoke and Mirrors besides v6 so don't take this like I'm complaining about my own decks, but this is just in my opinion somewhat of a downfall of a once prestigious series of playing cards.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:59:31 AM by sr15 »

« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2012, 03:11:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I really think it hurts the entire series overall, since the amount of different decks in the series essentially doubled overnight, and there are 60000 extra decks in the series that used to be quite limited.  I don't think I would mind as much if they only released a reprint of only the v6s or even the v5s, but to go all the way back to v3s is really just diluting the value of owning any individual deck in the series, resale or not (again, v1 and v2 aren't really affected by this and I think their value won't drop).

so yes, it hurts resellers, although I and pretty much everyone here don't care about them. It hurts people who only wanted v7s, but it also hurts people who already own the originals, imo. I don't actually have any Smoke and Mirrors besides v6 so don't take this like I'm complaining about my own decks, but this is just in my opinion somewhat of a downfall of a once prestigious series of playing cards.

These reprints are just that - REPRINTS.  The only new deck in there is v7.  The other decks are not identical to the original versions, so no, they don't serve as replacements for them.  If someone can't afford the originals and just likes the style, that person would be thrilled to have this boxed set.  But to real collectors, it doesn't mean a lot, unless they happen to be hardcore completists.  To less-rabid collectors, only the v7 deck matters.

To not sell the v7 deck separately - it's nuts.  It's going to take weeks, if not months, to sell out that print run.  It will likely be the first - and last - S&M release to take so long to sell out.

And don't delude yourself into thinking that the series was all that limited.  While the first versions were likely made in small numbers, since they had no idea of how they'd appeal to customers and the custom deck craze was very new, the latter versions were ordered in quantities of 20-30K.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/