Author (Read 75580 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors v7
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Haha ;) anyway back on topic y'all. V7, I'm excited. Maybe there will be heavier embossing by the looks of that photo, we can't really tell yet. But I am am excited.

How can you tell?  We don't even know if we're looking at a card back, tuck box or someone's wallpaper in that photo, and I certainly can't see any embossing...
He said "we can't really tell yet" and then you asked how he can tell...

At what point was I disagreeing with him?

Next time you jump to a conclusion, be careful what you land on.
I didn't say that you were disagreeing with him. Now you just jumped to a conclusion. All I was saying it that you completely repeated what he just said in the post right before yours.

Wait up, I'm glad you both agree with me :)) I guess?...
Alrighty, in the picture, it clearly indicates heavy embossing since the typography is raised as much as it is. I can't really tell yet though. 
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2012, 01:30:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I didn't say that you were disagreeing with him. Now you just jumped to a conclusion. All I was saying it that you completely repeated what he just said in the post right before yours.

Um, no.  I didn't completely repeat what he said.  Where'd you learn how to read?

Here's his quote and mine:

Haha ;) anyway back on topic y'all. V7, I'm excited. Maybe there will be heavier embossing by the looks of that photo, we can't really tell yet. But I am am excited.

How can you tell?  We don't even know if we're looking at a card back, tuck box or someone's wallpaper in that photo, and I certainly can't see any embossing...

He's excited and thinks there may be heavier embossing - of what, he doesn't really say - though he can't really tell.  I comment that I can't really tell what that image is showing us and that I can't see any embossing.

Tell me, please, that you don't think these two statements are saying the same thing...

Alrighty, in the picture, it clearly indicates heavy embossing since the typography is raised as much as it is. I can't really tell yet though. 

Typography?  Raised?  Is your screen working in Braille or something?  'Cause to me, that's a computer-generated image, not a "typed" one, and I can't see anything outside of the two-dimensional plane.  "Typography" is the art and technique of printing with moveable type - a process that hasn't been used at USPC in a number of decades.  (The definition could be extended to cover the appearance of printed matter, but it's still not printed - it's a digitally-created image on a computer screen, no hard copy to examine, nothing printed on anything!)  There's something that looks like funky shading, sure - but you can't really tell anything of depth or perspective from that fragment of an image.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2012, 03:56:12 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Um, no.  I didn't completely repeat what he said.  Where'd you learn how to read?

Here's his quote and mine:

He's excited and thinks there may be heavier embossing - of what, he doesn't really say - though he can't really tell.  I comment that I can't really tell what that image is showing us and that I can't see any embossing.

Tell me, please, that you don't think these two statements are saying the same thing...

Typography?  Raised?  Is your screen working in Braille or something?  'Cause to me, that's a computer-generated image, not a "typed" one, and I can't see anything outside of the two-dimensional plane.  "Typography" is the art and technique of printing with moveable type - a process that hasn't been used at USPC in a number of decades.  (The definition could be extended to cover the appearance of printed matter, but it's still not printed - it's a digitally-created image on a computer screen, no hard copy to examine, nothing printed on anything!)  There's something that looks like funky shading, sure - but you can't really tell anything of depth or perspective from that fragment of an image.

Look, that seems to be a legit image. That is obviously embossing on the box of the deck. The embossing looks large due to the curvature and light shadowing of the letters. Whatever, lets wait and see.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 05:20:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Look, that seems to be a legit image. That is obviously embossing on the box of the deck. The embossing looks large due to the curvature and light shadowing of the letters. Whatever, lets wait and see.

I'm not saying it isn't a "legit" image.  It's a computer image - you can't "touch" it, per se; it's flips and flops on an LCD monitor, not a real physical object you can touch.  Practically all playing card art these days exists as a digital image at some point or another during the evolution into a deck.

But how you can tell with any degree of certainty that it's an image of a box - AND that it's an embossed box - is beyond me.  That image is pretty abstract, devoid of real identifying features.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:21:08 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
are you guys ready for the teaser ? :D

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here is the teaser:   G A M E O V E R http://dnd.la/gameover

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
That was disappointing...
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Okay.....??  I submitted my email address.   So where is the teaser?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:23:08 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think that link was the teaser....

« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I think that link was the teaser....
What kind of teaser was that??  Maybe were just too smart and the reveal of them coming out with a Smoke & Mirrors V7 decks was the teaser.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:31:03 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As far as teasers go, this was pretty meh.  But there is a photo of an embossed box on their FB page...  (And it looks NOTHING like the teaser photo.)

« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
As far as teasers go, this was pretty meh.  But there is a photo of an embossed box on their FB page...  (And it looks NOTHING like the teaser photo.)
Where at on there FB page Don?  I'm on there right now and don't see any tuck box?
- Adam

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here is the photo that Don is talking about. It is a close up of what looks to be a tuck box. You can see an embossed "I"

« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Here is the photo that Don is talking about. It is a close up of what looks to be a tuck box. You can see an embossed "I"
People having been guessing that its the tuck box but Dan & Dave responded back saying, "Your guesses are good, but far from close.   Its like nothing we've ever done before - or anyone for that matter."   I took that as its not the tuck box.   Plus it looks more like Dan & Daves double D logo an not an "i."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:40:43 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
People having been guessing that its the tuck box but Dan & Dave responded back saying, "Your guesses are good, but far from close.   Its like nothing we've ever done before - or anyone for that matter."   I took that as its not the tuck box.   Plus it looks more like Dan & Daves double D logo an not an "i."
Yes. MY interpretations are exactly the same as yours. Its the double D logo that is found on almost everything dnd. And I do not think that this is related to the v7s. It should be another product by itself from what they are saying.

« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
1) The teaser, for me, was okay. I mean, it was meant to tease, and I believe it did. At least we know their going to use an amazing font. :)

2) If it were up to me, I believe that they would use embossing, because, practically every major (and minor) deck produced has embossing. And, D&D's last deck had it, so why not do it on this one. Right?

3) Is it just me, or, after you confirm your email, they bring you to D&D's Facebook page.

4) Also, with that teaser pic of the double D's (hehe), I highly doubt (in fact, I am positively sure), that it's the S&M, or even a deck box at all. As someone quoted, D&D said that they are releasing something they've, and no one else, has ever done before. So, I just can't wait to see what their going to be having.

EDIT: - It just reached my inbox about an hour ago. - Maybe it's a part of a seal or the centerpiece to the back design.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:50:09 PM by KPopFever605 »
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

If that's an "I", then just call me Ion.  :))  I never called it a tuck box, just an embossed box.

Since D&D say that it's not a tuck box, perhaps it's a special "collector's edition" box - perhaps being made to hold the ENTIRE S&M series.  Imagine the price tag on that puppy...  And it would certainly qualify as something they've never done before.  I can't recall anyone doing a full collection set like that - the closest was David Blaine's first Variety Box, but it was missing the Tally Ho Split Spades and two of the four prototype Bicycle trick decks as well as the three production models.  Oh, and that "rainbow" purple White Lions Series A deck.

And KPop, you're right - it does take you to their FB page, but it also signs you up for a mailing list to receive those teaser emails.  At the rate they're dribbling out the clues, I'd bet the release date could be as late as Black Friday.

The round thingie - I don't know.  Maybe it's a seal, but round seals aren't really found, and D&D often avoid seals anyway, at least for the standard editions of their decks.  Perhaps it's part of the tuck box art.

« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
If their plan is to release around Black Friday, it's an excellent way divert our dollars away from other sites, and to theirs.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
How much did the S&M decks cost initially? its been so long i completely forgot

« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2012, 01:26:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If their plan is to release around Black Friday, it's an excellent way divert our dollars away from other sites, and to theirs.

Really?  I would never have known that...

I don't suppose people have nicknamed you "Captain Obvious" in the past, have they?  :))

How much did the S&M decks cost initially? its been so long i completely forgot

I have no idea - I've never purchased any S&Ms at original retail value.  I'd venture to guess in the high end of the below-ten-bucks range.

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Unfortunately I was not collecting decks of playing cards when the Smoke and Mirrors version 1,2, & 3 were first released. I'm looking forward to purchasing a few of these (v7).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:50:00 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

Umm.... I don't know what you see in that, but that's clearly the Dan and Dave logo.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Umm.... I don't know what you see in that, but that's clearly the Dan and Dave logo.
Yes, I now see that  :P

« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm getting a real giggle out of how many people can't wait to get this deck - and they have no real idea what the hell it looks like!  It could easily be just like De'vo's "Cardistry Unicorn" deck!  Or worse!

I'm merely curious to see the new design.  I don't have an overwhelming desire to buy it.  How could I, when I haven't even seen it yet?

« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I'm getting a real giggle out of how many people can't wait to get this deck - and they have no real idea what the hell it looks like!  It could easily be just like De'vo's "Cardistry Unicorn" deck!  Or worse!

I'm merely curious to see the new design.  I don't have an overwhelming desire to buy it.  How could I, when I haven't even seen it yet?

I love the Pro Cardistry deck. If I want to do some serious flourishing, nothing beats using it  ;D
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.