You are Here:
Grain Deck [KS]

Author (Read 745 times)

Grain Deck [KS]
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Just stumbled across this on Kickstarter and I don't think there's a link up yet so I figured I'd post a link...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1868828187/the-grain-deck-2nd-edition-printed-by-epcc

Re: Grain Deck [KS]
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
2nd Edition? I didn't even know there was a V1  :P

His pledge tiers doesn't seem thought out. A 10 deck tier is cheaper than a 12 or 24 deck, and you don't really get much discount from getting a gross do you? It tells us to add 12 pounds for half a brick and 1 brick for shipping but only 6 pounds for 10 decks (and says otherwise again below for shipping outside of UK). I'm not even going to go through the other many discrepancies in the pledge tiers.

I looked up his 1st edition, and there seems to be some improvement here, but really that's about it. I have no idea how the pips are related to grain, probably designed after different types of grain? I was hoping there would be more customizations on the courts, perhaps making them dressed less like royalty and more like farmers or something. It is an interesting theme to be seen on a deck of cards though.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member

His pledge tiers doesn't seem thought out. A 10 deck tier is cheaper than a 12 or 24 deck, and you don't really get much discount from getting a gross do you? It tells us to add 12 pounds for half a brick and 1 brick for shipping but only 6 pounds for 10 decks (and says otherwise again below for shipping outside of UK). I'm not even going to go through the other many discrepancies in the pledge tiers.

I looked up his 1st edition, and there seems to be some improvement here, but really that's about it. I have no idea how the pips are related to grain, probably designed after different types of grain? I was hoping there would be more customizations on the courts, perhaps making them dressed less like royalty and more like farmers or something. It is an interesting theme to be seen on a deck of cards though.

I messaged Ashley about the confusion in international shipping prices and how they don't match with the international shipping prices stated below the estimated delivery date. I don't think he understood me though. His reply was that "Yes it is confusing because everything depends on the weight of the PARCLE (I think he meant Parcel)" So he's saying that 6 decks is heavier than 10 decks.  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I messaged Ashley about the confusion in international shipping prices and how they don't match with the international shipping prices stated below the estimated delivery date. I don't think he understood me though. His reply was that "Yes it is confusing because everything depends on the weight of the PARCLE (I think he meant Parcel)" So he's saying that 6 decks is heavier than 10 decks.  :mindf-ck:

The tiers do have some screwy math on them, and the text reads like he took English as a Second Language classes.

The KS rules don't allow him to sell too many of the project's primary object being made.  For most project the limit is ten, but for cards they allow a dozen - one brick - but that's it.  He's selling a GROSS, on a deck which will only have 1,000 copies.

I'm not fond of these pips, either.  But there's one significant change - he's using Expert Playing Cards to make it instead of the domestic printer Ivory Graphics.  It's a bit odd that in the first project he was being very cagey about who was printing his deck, as if it was some kind of industry secret, but this time around he has no qualms about mentioning who made the first deck.  Perhaps he was dissatisfied?

I'll say this much - they might be the least expensive 1,000-run deck to date.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
It looks like the court cards have been greatly improved, but there is not a lot of changes made between V1 and V2. Overall okay deck, great if you are into grains!!! Grains! Maybe they field good! Being EPCC I am sure they will.
I do like windmills, maybe a Holland deck with windmills and tulips would have greater appeal.
But you know what they say no grain no gain!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It looks like the court cards have been greatly improved, but there is not a lot of changes made between V1 and V2. Overall okay deck, great if you are into grains!!! Grains! Maybe they field good! Being EPCC I am sure they will.
I do like windmills, maybe a Holland deck with windmills and tulips would have greater appeal.
But you know what they say no grain no gain!  ;D

Have you been tilting at windmills lately?  Where's Sancho?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/