[KS] Steampunk Beginnings by Nathanael Mortensen

Author (Read 535 times)

[KS] Steampunk Beginnings by Nathanael Mortensen
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Steampunk Beginnings

The guy who has yet to fulfill any of his projects, brings you another project .. and it's steampunk themed, can't get too many of those .....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:21:07 PM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: [KS] Steampunk Beginnings by Nathanael Mortensen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Steampunk, AGAIN...what? Is there no new themes to explore. The artwork is okay. Like the innovative use of color. Green is new.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the green. I like the courts. I like the card faces. I like the card back. I like the tuck. I like the theme. With so much to like, why wouldn't I back this project? Well, there's more important things I definitely do not like.

I don't like he's launching this before he's fulfilled the Kingdoms of a new world. Which was funded twice, Nov 2013 and again June 2014 over $60K total, as well as Steampunk playing cards funded March 2014. I won't be pledging for this at all even though I do think this is his best would be deck so far. It's just pretty pictures to me with no promise behind it due to the lack of fulfillment with the other projects.

I can understand having one project yet to be fulfilled and running another campaign. I can not understand having two. Could be the worlds greatest deck and I wouldn't back it if they had two other unfulfilled decks on their backlog. Just that easy a choice for me. Yea, sure USPCC has been backed up, they haven't been backed up to the tune of that. Red flags get raised pretty high on these.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
This isn't really Steam Punk. None of this imagery inspires the turn of the century, Victorian, industrial era feel that Steam Punk is mean to capture. Just making your card art Sci-Fi and bronze with a couple gears doesn't really count. This is more  dieselpunk-in-the-desert.

The art is on point, and the backs look great, but the theme isn't there for all but the most cursory familiarity with the genre, and if you're not going to try and wholly embrace the genre, why would you pick such an overused and run into the ground genre? Doing it wrong isn't the same as making it unique.

Alright, steampunk fan nerd rant over. Love the green.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.