Author (Read 2194 times)

New KS Deck: Bicycle Black Widow Playing Cards
« on: July 03, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
From the people that brought you the LaBelle deck:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/labelle/bicycle-black-widow-art-playing-cards-deck?ref=live

I actually liked the previous deck from this guy, but this...

Well, for one, the ace of spades isn't even an ace.

The court cards are pretty standard, the curls on the face cards don't mesh with the design, and the back looks kind of lazy.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: New KS Deck: Bicycle Black Widow Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm not sure I'd qualify this as an art deck.  There are some modifications to the standard cards that are kind of nice but I am not a fan of the tuck box.  Also, people equate the danger hourglass symbol with the Black Widow spider (and yes I know it's on the belly, I grew up in S. Cali where they were plentiful), yet it's only represented on the Aces of Diamonds, Hearts and Clubs and not at all on the Spades nor tuckbox.  I like the webwork on the card back, and I don't hate the spiders... but perhaps he could have done the red hourglass (which mirrors easily) underneath the spiders so we knew that's what they were.  What I am confused about is the swirly design at the tops of the numbered cards.  The image screams Limoney Snicket.  I think it would have been cooler to see an orb web in the corner and a thread trailing to a walking spider (that's creep the bejeebers out of me).

Sorry, this deck is not on my list of haves on KS.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Yeah I don't like this much either. I think there isn't anything to me that really pops about it to set it apart from the many playing cards out there. With so many releases, the decks need to scream "buy me" in order to do well in my opinion. If not, they'll just add to the fodder.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think it was a crime that his previous deck didn't succeed.  That one had GORGEOUS courts.  This - meh.  It has the interesting curlicues from the first deck in the spot cards, but the cards are lightly-modified standard and the back isn't as visually interesting.  I think what's killing it for me is that the back art isn't of a high-enough resolution - the image is jaggy and low on detail in some areas.  The finished product would likely look a lot nicer, but this isn't selling it for me.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
The finished product would likely look a lot nicer, but this isn't selling it for me.

And this is one of the reasons I'm not going to pledge as well. At the very least the make ups of the decks need to be perfect or how the deck is going to look like. I'm sure they don't always turn out as designed but if the design isn't perfect it's hard to expect the finished product to be.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:34:42 AM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Ew. I don't like it at all. The back is just fugly to me.

What is crazy is how many of these "custom decks" are available now...and how it's possible for them to be made. Back then, Black Tigers were the shiznit!
Broke for cards