Author (Read 1149 times)

A Victorian Adventure - USPCC (KS)
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The last of my independant decks.  From this point forward all my deck design will be done through my game company, Man Made Games.  Up to this point the art and design have been my own, moving forward I will be joined by some talented individuals to release even more exciting decks.  For now, check it out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/344063227/a-victorian-adventure-custom-playing-cards-uspcc

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:01:45 PM by ManMadeGames »
Alex Willis
Game Designer

Re: A Victorian Adventure - USPCC (KS)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Sorry, forgot the tuckbox. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I saw this on KS earlier today. I think I like these more than the last ones. By the way when will I be getting my M.F. deck? Just kidding-take your time and get it right.

The only thing i would say about this deck. I would not have known this was a playing card project if I had not read the caption. The KS search picture does not make me think playing cards. It's a framed picture- makes me think art project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I saw this on KS earlier today. I think I like these more than the last ones. By the way when will I be getting my M.F. deck? Just kidding-take your time and get it right.

The only thing i would say about this deck. I would not have known this was a playing card project if I had not read the caption. The KS search picture does not make me think playing cards. It's a framed picture- makes me think art project.

You are the second person to ask me about delivering the M.F. deck, I did say September in the project right??  :P 

Thanks for your encouragement, and yes I struggled with the main image for  the project.  Do I show the tuckbox in some creative way... do I show cards.... do I do what pretty much everyone else does?  Or, do I present it as an Art project as it is an art deck, hence the frame.  That's where my mind was as I was putting together the project.  FYI - the tuckbox was completely redesigned at the last minute.  Originally I was doing a Bicycle design and then I had the idea for a Victorian styled framed print that had elements of the four journeys the deck represents (hence the tentacles)  I
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
FYI - the tuckbox was completely redesigned at the last minute.  Originally I was doing a Bicycle design and then I had the idea for a Victorian styled framed print that had elements of the four journeys the deck represents (hence the tentacles)  I

Well, of COURSE - the moment I think of Victorian adventures, I think of...  Tentacles?  :))

Give that back design a closer inspection - did you intend for it to be a one-way back?  I present the image below both normal and rotated 180 degrees, with the relevant areas enclosed in white triangles.  (Also, the "V" shapes don't quite meet at their nadirs.)

On second look, there's also how the enclosed areas aren't the same distance from the red diamond pattern in the center, too - another giveaway.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:48:14 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:21 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
It was my intent to make a two way back originally, and I started to change the center of the design, but if you look closely at the entire design, the rest is not really two way, it's very similar but there are subtle differences.  If you cut and overlay the images you can see them.  That being said, I have a back version where I did make the center image more a two way design, but I didn't like the diagonal line it seemed to make on the card back. 

I'll try and find that design and post it here and perhaps take a vote on which back looks better. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I usually don't go backward on design, but I'm not seeing the brand buyers as I hoped they would ignore the brand for this deck.  So I am considering changing it to be a Bicycle deck.  I did a quick mockup of the tuck box design.  Thoughts on changing midstream?  While I don't love it, I can live with the big ass brand name on my box, especially if it'll attract more buyers.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I'm not a fan of the Bicycle logo plastered on the tuck box myself.  However if it moves more decks then go right ahead. 

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I usually don't go backward on design, but I'm not seeing the brand buyers as I hoped they would ignore the brand for this deck.  So I am considering changing it to be a Bicycle deck.  I did a quick mockup of the tuck box design.  Thoughts on changing midstream?  While I don't love it, I can live with the big ass brand name on my box, especially if it'll attract more buyers.

I doubt you'll get too many complaints about switching to Bicycle branding midway - but don't be surprised if a small fraction of your backers opt out because of it.  Let them.  You'll end up attracting more buyers in the long run.

I would think the Bicycle brand name is a perfect fit for your deck - even though she didn't reign here in the US, it was created during the Victorian Era, right?  :))

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Most who responded said don't change it, but many of those agreed that if I did in order to get more pledges they'd be okay with the change.  I expect there will be a few who will cancel their pledge... I was considering adding it at the $15,000 stretch goal as an alternate deck, but the more I stew on it I think I should just do it as a bicycle deck and let the brand enthusiasts drive up the pledge level.  However, I don't want to make any change too fast, I still have 25 days so i think I will announce the change at the end of the week to see if I get any other compelling reasons why I shouldn't do it.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Most who responded said don't change it, but many of those agreed that if I did in order to get more pledges they'd be okay with the change.  I expect there will be a few who will cancel their pledge... I was considering adding it at the $15,000 stretch goal as an alternate deck, but the more I stew on it I think I should just do it as a bicycle deck and let the brand enthusiasts drive up the pledge level.  However, I don't want to make any change too fast, I still have 25 days so i think I will announce the change at the end of the week to see if I get any other compelling reasons why I shouldn't do it.

Biggest one I can think of would be increased cost per deck.  But the added sales should offset that.