alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
http://sishouplayingcards.com

So heres an update. This was a project that was unfinished and unfortunately the first KS project was not funded.
But I have picked up this project and will be dedicated to finish it off by end of october.

Currently I am thinking of having this deck aimed at:
1. Magicians (two way back design)
2. Card Collectors (Detailed design)
3. Poker Players (Not too illustrative and custom)

ITS LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:10:35 AM by alvinhy »

Re: SiShou - Four Beasts [KS]
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:50 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
I think its a fantastic deck and i love the theme!

I will be backing you without a doubt being a UK backer, am sure American backers may be concerned that the offer of free postage is too good to be true though!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:45 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I will be backing you without a doubt being a UK backer, am sure American backers may be concerned that the offer of free postage is too good to be true though!
I thought $12 a deck including shipping is reasonable.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

When a KS project exceeds around $10 a deck with shipping, the American collectors start to gripe about it.  You're used to more expensive decks because you buy USPC decks as imports.  Yanks aren't used to that - a deck you consider to be of average price would be thought of as quite expensive in the States.

The best solution to that would be to find an American company or individual willing to act as a distributor for your decks to your American customers, so the decks bound to US destinations don't actually leave the country.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member

Im not disputing its not unreasonable Alvinhy, im happy to pay the money to back you! 

You know the project better than me (obviously)! As Don says it may have been an advantage to find a distributor in the states to take delivery of the decks bound for the US, therefore you wouldnt have had to pay two loads of shipping... There have been a lot of kickstarter projects that struggle to pay for themselves due to postage.

Im really excited about this deck and cant wait to see it come to life!

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
On a personal note, I love this deck. Absolutely beautiful and right up my street.

From a professional point of view, it's nice to see a UK based designer getting involved now that KS has opened up it's borders to us.

I dropped you an email alvhiny earlier today about your deck, really looking forward to seeing this become a success but i'm just a little concerned about it might not without a lot of US support.

Don makes a great point about finding a US distributor to keep the decks in the country instead of US-UK-US again (assuming that's what you're doing).
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

I noticed its in Pounds. :)
Great job on the deck! I will wait for someone to resell this deck though because I won't be getting anything from kickstarter for some time because its been kinda a hassle lately.

I wish you the best of luck on this!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
DUDE! What an absolutely beautiful design! I wish you the best of luck and hope this gets funded. Excellent theme and top notch aesthetics!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:27 PM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I like the back design a lot and the court cards  :)
And especially since it's a chinese themed deck. I will be pledging for a few and giving some to my uncles (one of them loves Dragons and one of them loves Tigers lol). I'm sure they will be using these a lot in their poker games.
And thanks for pricing the decks reasonably. :)

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:14 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like the back design a lot and the court cards  :)
And especially since it's a chinese themed deck. I will be pledging for a few and giving some to my uncles (one of them loves Dragons and one of them loves Tigers lol). I'm sure they will be using these a lot in their poker games.
And thanks for pricing the decks reasonably. :)

Thanks for all the support guys. It means a lot! Without the help from the forum members here the deck wont even work out!

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:50 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Will certainly be pledging to get this deck early next week :)

Looks like you will secure the funding!

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Alvin, what the heck happened??  In the last 24 hours you lost about £1,400 in pledges!!

EDIT: whoops, just an accounting error...  sorry ....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:24:45 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
With 4 days to go this project is only halfway there. This baffles me because it looks like so many things were done right. The backs are stunning, the aces amazing, box looks great, two-ways, USPCC, Facebook, early bird pricing, free shipping everywhere, uncut sheets, even two decks with different color backs. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the courts' heads, but that's just me--I can't imagine that's the showstopper. What do you think's going on here? (Or not going on.) Maybe the funding goal is too high? Because of the two decks? ... Maybe the second deck s/b a reward level unlock? Maybe people are nervous about £ instead of $ ? I just dont get it. Amazing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:02:58 AM by GBAllison »

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I've just backed this up - I hope it goes through for you buddy, these cards truly r beautiful
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
With 4 days to go this project is only halfway there. This baffles me because it looks like so many things were done right. The backs are stunning, the aces amazing, box looks great, two-ways, USPCC, Facebook, early bird pricing, free shipping everywhere, uncut sheets, even two decks with different color backs. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the courts' heads, but that's just me--I can't imagine that's the showstopper. What do you think's going on here? (Or not going on.) Maybe the funding goal is too high? Because of the two decks? ... Maybe the second deck s/b a reward level unlock? Maybe people are nervous about £ instead of $ ? I just dont get it. Amazing.

I'm absolutely the last person I'd want someone to ask on all things related to marketing and things like Kickstarter projects. My personal opinion would be cause the funding goal for these are high (is ~14000USD asking a lot for one print of a deck?). Could also be because the tier prices are in £ but if I'm not mistake the approximate $ is also there as well. It's honestly a gorgeous deck and absolute shame it is not already funded.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm absolutely the last person I'd want someone to ask on all things related to marketing and things like Kickstarter projects. My personal opinion would be cause the funding goal for these are high (is ~14000USD asking a lot for one print of a deck?). Could also be because the tier prices are in £ but if I'm not mistake the approximate $ is also there as well. It's honestly a gorgeous deck and absolute shame it is not already funded.

The goal is high, but he's creating two decks.  Making one with the other as a stretch goal would have been more prudent. 

The fact that the funding is in GBP is also a stumbling block for some.  Any kid can set up an Amazon account with a gift card, but you need a credit card to pay for projects in GBP.

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
You can use a debit card too, doesn't hav to b a credit card

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You can use a debit card too, doesn't hav to b a credit card

It still requires a resource that most kids don't have, even in this country.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
In th UK, u can get a junior account or debit card as young as 12 .. I got mine when I was 13 with Barclays Bank. Anyway, I don't get why th currency is a big problem though - I honestly don't! Can someone who hasn't pledged on this product for that particular reason please tell us as to why it's such a problem

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In th UK, u can get a junior account or debit card as young as 12 .. I got mine when I was 13 with Barclays Bank. Anyway, I don't get why th currency is a big problem though - I honestly don't! Can someone who hasn't pledged on this product for that particular reason please tell us as to why it's such a problem

Junior accounts are available here from age 13 - with parental consent.  Not every parent gives consent.  Banking laws do differ from state to state, though, so I can't speak for the other 49 states, the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico, etc.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Junior accounts are available here from age 13 - with parental consent.  Not every parent gives consent.  Banking laws do differ from state to state, though, so I can't speak for the other 49 states, the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico, etc.
here in kansas I believe its 15, at least the bank I have an account with does it at that age and older.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Dear backers,

Thank you for those who pledged and believed in this project. Unfortunately, the project will not be able to reach its goal. However, please do not be upset! I will be making minor changes and maybe release one colour so the pledge goal can be around the £5000 mark.

Maybe a single limited edition deck with only 2,500 decks printed will be made.
Keep yourself updated through the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SishouDecks

Once again, thank you for those who believed in this project.

Kind Regards,
Alvin

Maaaaan :( I hope it eventually goes through second time around

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
Dear backers,

Thank you for those who pledged and believed in this project. Unfortunately, the project will not be able to reach its goal. However, please do not be upset! I will be making minor changes and maybe release one colour so the pledge goal can be around the £5000 mark.

Maybe a single limited edition deck with only 2,500 decks printed will be made.
Keep yourself updated through the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SishouDecks

Once again, thank you for those who believed in this project.

Kind Regards,
Alvin

Maaaaan :( I hope it eventually goes through second time around

what a bummer! I backed for one red and one teal. It would have been nice to have one of these in each color. I'll definitely be on board the second time around also.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
This is very disappointing, it was a really nice deck. I'll be anxiously awaiting round two as well, and will back that effort as well!

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I know, so disappointing. All th time n effort he put into making it, he deserves much more backers and pledges. Teal deck sounded awesome