You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors: Gold Reserve Edition!?!

Author (Read 12237 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors: Gold Reserve Edition!?!
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
Okay,  guys.  I'm confused. Are version #s (like v1, v2, etc.)  not the same as the color variations? I thought that's what v1, v2, etc meant,  but it seems like there's v1 1-6, then v2 1-6, and so on...?

There is an original v1-6 v7 was an entire box set a remake of v3-6 plus the new carbon deck.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Okay,  guys.  I'm confused. Are version #s (like v1, v2, etc.)  not the same as the color variations? I thought that's what v1, v2, etc meant,  but it seems like there's v1 1-6, then v2 1-6, and so on...?

Let's take it from the top, shall we?

V1 - First edition.  Two decks in black (Mirror deck) and white (Smoke deck).  No deck seal.
V2 - Special edition.  Same as above with slight back design changes.
V3 - Luxury edition.  Same as above with slight back design changes.
http://playingcards.wikidot.com/smoke-mirror:v1-v2-v3

V4 - Eco edition.  Pre-released at a convention with a D&D sticker deck seal, later released without sticker for sale at large.  One deck in green, stripped down design.
V5 - Paper denim edition.  Same design as v4 but in green BLUE.  No deck seal.
V6 - Rouge edition.  Same as above but in red.

V7 - the "farewell tribute", featuring reprints of v3 (both), v4, v5 and v6, plus the new Carbon deck of the same design as 4-7.  These decks had perforated deck seals and standard faces instead of the unique S&M face design.

Reserve Edition: whatever the hell this thing is...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:44:38 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

V5 - Paper denim edition.  Same design as v4 but in green.  No deck seal.

I think this might be one of the few times anyone can correctly correct Don.  ;D ... But do you mean "V5 - Paper denim edition.  Same design as v4 but in blue.  No deck seal.."?

I think the Reserve Edition would, honestly, mean anything if it was only sent out to DOTM members and for contest/giveaway and are the Buck Twins' private stock. If it's just being sold like any other S&M, then it honestly doesn't mean much besides just fancy advertisement. But honestly, I do love the packaging in this deck. It is amazing, but it's just sad it's another re-colour.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:17:45 PM by bhong »

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

There is an original v1-6 v7 was an entire box set a remake of v3-6 plus the new carbon deck.

Let's take it from the top, shall we?

V1 - First edition.  Two decks in black (Mirror deck) and white (Smoke deck).  No deck seal.
V2 - Special edition.  Same as above with slight back design changes.
V3 - Luxury edition.  Same as above with slight back design changes.
http://playingcards.wikidot.com/smoke-mirror:v1-v2-v3

V4 - Eco edition.  Pre-released at a convention with a D&D sticker deck seal, later released without sticker for sale at large.  One deck in green, stripped down design.
V6 - Rouge edition.  Same as above but in red.

V7 - the "farewell tribute", featuring reprints of v3 (both), v4, v5 and v6, plus the new Carbon deck of the same design as 4-7.  These decks had perforated deck seals and standard faces instead of the unique S&M face design.

Reserve Edition: whatever the hell this thing is...

Thanks so much for the clarification, Gunshy1 and Don! :)

I'm a new collector and I don't have any of the smoke and mirrors decks. If I were to get one, I would get this version. I have a thing for white and gold decks...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:08:08 PM by Sher143 »

Re: new Dan and Dave deck
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:28:55 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think this might be one of the few times anyone can correctly correct Don.  ;D ... But do you mean "V5 - Paper denim edition.  Same design as v4 but in blue.  No deck seal.."?

I think the Reserve Edition would, honestly, mean anything if it was only sent out to DOTM members and for contest/giveaway and are the Buck Twins' private stock. If it's just being sold like any other S&M, then it honestly doesn't mean much besides just fancy advertisement. But honestly, I do love the packaging in this deck. It is amazing, but it's just sad it's another re-colour.

I get corrected often.  I'm not infallible.  That was a simple typo, but I've been wrong on facts as well.  My ego doesn't get in the way of my desire to know the truth.

It's a shame, indeed.  But as long as there's sheeple to buy, there's people to sell.  Gorgeous box, boring deck, made even more so by stripping away the unique S&M faces.  But hey, it's SHINY!  Woo AND hoo!

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »

Shade

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • "Better 2 Burn Out - Than Fade Away!"
I do think the tuck is interesting, although I have some reservations. Seems like there is a trend to the side opening tuck design. This one I don't really like, especially after the cigarette reference, also specifically dislike the perforations. It takes the nice clean lines of the box and creates perforations marks. <referencing the better pictures on loops link of the unopened tuck front & back>  So after the box has been opened I image you would be left with these small tuff/tabs sticking out make an otherwise elegant box look cheap. I can not say I am an expert tuck box designer, but I would have liked to see cleaner lines and edges to the tuck flap like a clean pre-creased hinge and not have the front sealed with those perforations.

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just wish people would drop the "cigarette box" references.  Does it vaguely resemble a cigarette box?  Sure, but perhaps from days gone by.  It's just a flip-top box - and it's not even the first deck to employ a flip-top box, though it is to my knowledge the first to do so and be side-loading, at least among modern custom decks.  Bent Castle Workshops released their Pegleg Pete decks, Extraordinary Voyages decks and I think a few more using just such a box.  The construction of the BCW boxes is insanely sturdy, with walls that are thicker and stronger than on any measly old tuck box I've ever seen.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this deck's box had similar construction properties.

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »

vmagic

It's not just the box, it's also the gold foil that makes it look like cigarettes.

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
It's not a very practical tuck design though, is it? The connection point of the flap/top will probably get worn pretty quickly from all the bending because you have to bend it really far back to get the whole deck out, even more so since it's angled downwards.
- Tom

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's not just the box, it's also the gold foil that makes it look like cigarettes.

Early decks were often wrapped in the same fashion, though more frequently with vellum or similar, and going back further than the age of machine-rolled cigarettes.

It's not a very practical tuck design though, is it? The connection point of the flap/top will probably get worn pretty quickly from all the bending because you have to bend it really far back to get the whole deck out, even more so since it's angled downwards.

I haven't had that problem with the BCW decks, but they used a REALLY, REALLY thick paper for it, practically like cardboard.  These don't look that thick.

It's a pretty box, but I can see where it's not the most practical.  I mean, I never see that kind of wear you're talking about on a flip-top cigarette box, but then again, that box only needs to last for twenty cigarettes.  One would hope these would last longer.

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
This deck is not intended for public release. Elliott posted on Loopcuts and Dave said it on Coffee. But just between us, I still think these will hit the market at one point or another.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Marketing 101.  Limit accessibility to increase desire.  They're printing the cards, releasing detailed pics and saying, look how nice these are, aren't they just dandy?  Oh, and BTW, you can't have them.  They're for our super secret squirrel club, never to be released to the general public.

They will release some in a limited method, part of their mixed bricks or buy XXX amount and get our Secret Squirrel S&M deck free.   Then sometime later there will be the statement, "Due to popular demand, and that we just happened to "find" some crates in our warehouse, right by the front door, marked 'To be released to general public on XX Date' we will be releasing these to you all.  Just $44.95 a deck, get 'em now while they last as we won't be printing any more S&M decks."    ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:53:55 PM by chach »
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Marketing 101.  Limit accessibility to increase desire.  They're printing the cards, releasing detailed pics and saying, look how nice these are, aren't they just dandy?  Oh, and BTW, you can't have them.  They're for our super secret squirrel club, never to be released to the general public.

They will release some in a limited method, part of their mixed bricks or buy XXX amount and get our Secret Squirrel S&M deck free.   Then sometime later there will be the statement, "Due to popular demand, and that we just happened to "find" some crates in our warehouse, right by the front door, marked 'To be released to general public on XX Date' we will be releasing these to you all.  Just $44.95 a deck, get 'em now while they last as we won't be printing any more S&M decks."    ::)

I have not bought a deck from D&D since the New Fan Back release.

Who do you think makes more money? D&D by making this rare deck and only allowing a few people to get ONE OR Ellusionist who let's people have more then one rare deck as long as they buy a brick or join black club? Seems to me if D&D wants to make money let the customers have a chance to get some. There is a perfect price for every product to maximize total income. $44.95 On ITS OWN would not maximize income because it would stop some from buying them. It would also take much longer to sell them. You have to strike while the product is hot in this industry. I'm sure D&D has the math worked out.

If it were me, a killer promotion for D&D would be giving one Gold Reserve away with every Juan Tamariz DVD Set. I was already going to pick up the DVD set anyway. Adding a free deck would kick some major ass!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:47:18 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Chach hit the nail on the head.  Stoke demand through exclusivity.  They're probably jealous of Club 808 and E's Black Club.  Their club was never even close to being as popular.

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I just wish people would drop the "cigarette box" references.  Does it vaguely resemble a cigarette box?  Sure, but perhaps from days gone by.

But the "Smoke" and Mirrors puns are just too good to resist.  ;D

That being said, it almost looks like you need to tear along a 3-point  perforation to open it. Actually kind of cool.
The gold foil reminds me of the Arrco Tahoes. Maybe they were trying to emulate those?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I just wish people would drop the "cigarette box" references.  Does it vaguely resemble a cigarette box?  Sure, but perhaps from days gone by. 

They actually said on Coffee that it was modelled after vintage cigarette boxes.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 01:16:00 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I guess I'm the only one that liked the Bruce Lee release lol.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:19 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I guess I'm the only one that liked the Bruce Lee release lol.

No it grew on me over time. I quite like it now actually.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Anyone know if these are factory sealed in cellophane?

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I'm bumping this somewhat old topic up because Dan and Dave just posted a pic of this deck on instagram three hours ago and I was just curious - does anyone know if they're giving these decks way in other promotions? Or if new members of the Deck of the Month Club will be able to obtain it this month?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:04:53 PM by Sher143 »

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

vmagic

I was told it would be part of a promotion.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I was told it would be part of a promotion.

Okay,  cool.  I hope it's a reward we get for purchasing something.  I'm not good with anything that requires luck.  Lol.