Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
No, it's not you... Down again  >:(

Re: United Cardists changes hands to Mike Ratledge
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
One of our recent UC members makes yoyos. Maybe he will be inspired to design a UC yoyo...

Whoop, we're back up again. Apparently it was a temporary security problem.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:56:25 PM by Dazzleguts »

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »

superdarkdark

• Newcomer
  • bye, sickle.
so is there anyway that UC & The Discourse would ever merge into one forum? i know that i have been a member of both forums for less than two minutes so my ideas are basically invalid.. but if you are trying to expand the horizons of playing cards as a whole, you need to create a monopoly forum. being a new user, i can say with confidence that it is very annoying 'tab' clicking between UC & Discourse when in reality, both sites post the EXACT same information. i feel guilty having to side with one website over the other because both carry traits i enjoy in forum experiences.

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Short answer is no. 
It was put to a vote recently.  Most of the stalwarts over there voted against the merge.  There is plenty of room for both forums to coexist.   They do some great stuff over at UC.  And we do some great stuff here.  I agree the content is pretty much the same but the personalities are different.  I like both the forums but I call this one home.  I read every post from both sites every day but I'm a bit mental.  Just find what you dig and run with it.  You're welcomed in either spot.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Short answer is no. 
It was put to a vote recently.  Most of the stalwarts over there voted against the merge.  There is plenty of room for both forums to coexist.   They do some great stuff over at UC.  And we do some great stuff here.  I agree the content is pretty much the same but the personalities are different.  I like both the forums but I call this one home.  I read every post from both sites every day but I'm a bit mental.  Just find what you dig and run with it.  You're welcomed in either spot.

Actually, the long answer is that this site nearly became a monopoly.  Mike Ferrante, former owner, was supposedly going to fold the site before the end of this month if it wasn't for the offer from Mike Ratledge to buy it.

Mike R. wants to make UC an ongoing concern, so we say "Good for him."  There is room for more than one forum, just as there's room for more than one radio station, more than one TV station, more than one newspaper, etc.  Many will like both, some will prefer one over the other, but by whatever path taken, we all find out what's worth finding out in the end.  Too much homogeneity can actually be harmful - there's no urge to be the best, no competition, leaving the risk of getting lazy and not keeping things lively and interesting.  We maintain warm and friendly relations with UC these days, so it's all good to us.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:55:55 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

superdarkdark

• Newcomer
  • bye, sickle.
@kdklown & @don

thanks for the answers guys, i definitely feel welcome in both forums. it takes a lot of passion to continually run a forum & i see no lack of it on either side. best wishes to UC & The Discourse.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi Super DD
As the proprietor here, I just wanted to echo Don's comments. Mike Ratledge and I are both members of 52 Plus Joker, he's a member here and I'm a member there, and we are working towards common goals - enhancing users knowledge and understanding of collectible playing cards and promoting our great hobby. So enjoy both!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 04:36:26 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
@52plusjoker and Don:

I could not agree more.  ;)