badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Dragon Scale: Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ahh I was just about to post this. My phone is so slow lol I took the liberty of taking some screen shots, not the greatest, but it's something.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I like these.  :)  Will star for now because there are no early birds.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's no doubting the art quality is good, but the cards just aren't to my tastes.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Add ons are $13 for domestic orders? Is it just me or does that seem expensive? I thought printing a deck of cards would be cheaper with MPC.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Add ons are $13 for domestic orders? Is it just me or does that seem expensive? I thought printing a deck of cards would be cheaper with MPC.

It's actually more expensive. Depending on how many decks you order, it can be a dollar or more per deck higher. The trick is you can order a 100 decks instead of 2500.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:49:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's actually more expensive. Depending on how many decks you order, it can be a dollar or more per deck higher. The trick is you can order a 100 decks instead of 2500.

It's how people can create a short-run deck on KS and have a goal of only $1,000 to $2,000.  Per-deck costs are higher, but the minimum quantity you can order is so low that it takes very little to cross the threshold and cover your costs.  Once you've hit that goal, the more orders you get, the lower the per-deck costs go - a boon if your project is exceedingly successful.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:49:57 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular

It's how people can create a short-run deck on KS and have a goal of only $1,000 to $2,000.  Per-deck costs are higher, but the minimum quantity you can order is so low that it takes very little to cross the threshold and cover your costs.  Once you've hit that goal, the more orders you get, the lower the per-deck costs go - a boon if your project is exceedingly successful.

A boon for the creator, not the pledgers. Unless stretch goals add some freebies to make up for the lowered deck price.

This is pretty much a novelty deck by my standards. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but I rarely buy novelty decks.
- Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Dragons and pips does not a card deck make.

Good art, though.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dragon Scale Deck (KS)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »

JCathryn

• Newcomer
Hi Everyone!

I've got two casual decks of playing cards featuring my DRAGONS that went up for funding on kickstarter last week!
The link is: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1398250711/dragon-scale-playing-cards

Each card has a unique picture (so over 100 dragons!) and I'm pretty proud of it!  It's been doing really well (we're over 300% and five stretch goals in already!).  If you have time to check it out I always love comments and feedback!  This is my 7th kickstarter, but the first one where the focus has been on cards vs. them being an add-on reward.

There's also a deck of domino cards and we're nearing the Pinochle deck stretch goal!  (and we've even got jigsaw puzzles!).

Thanks for your time!
--Jessica Feinberg
www.artlair.com

Re: Dragon Scale Deck (KS)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Jessica we already have a thread started the hour you went live  check down the list a bit and welcome to the forums

Re: Dragon Scale Deck (KS)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:06 PM »

JCathryn

• Newcomer
Oh really?  Sorry!  I'm not used to people actually being on top of my projects. If you want to remove this one that's fine. :)

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »

JCathryn

• Newcomer
Hi!

Thanks for posting my Kickstarter.  There are actually pictures of the decks both in the general info and pictures of the domino decks and puzzles in the  updates. :)

I understand some confusion about the pricing seeming high.  Keep in mind I have a pretty low goal so I'm ordering 100's of decks not 1000's which means my price per deck is higher.  The stretch goals do include the price dropping down.  We're funding well so it's now $10 to add a deck on and there's also discounted rewards for half and full bricks (in limited numbers).

Please keep in mind that this is designed to go with the book for my fans as much as for collectors so I'm trying to strike a happy medium with the type of rewards offered.  On future projects I probably will do a higher end more limited deck with my more photo realistic (and sexier) fantasy art.  Since my projects so far have not been focused on cards I'm starting with a modest goal and testing the waters.  Hope that answers some of the questions people had. I'm always happy to answer more and take feedback - you can just drop me a message on kickstarter or email.

Thanks! :)
--Jessica Feinberg

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hi!

Thanks for posting my Kickstarter.  There are actually pictures of the decks both in the general info and pictures of the domino decks and puzzles in the  updates. :)

I understand some confusion about the pricing seeming high.  Keep in mind I have a pretty low goal so I'm ordering 100's of decks not 1000's which means my price per deck is higher.  The stretch goals do include the price dropping down.  We're funding well so it's now $10 to add a deck on and there's also discounted rewards for half and full bricks (in limited numbers).

Please keep in mind that this is designed to go with the book for my fans as much as for collectors so I'm trying to strike a happy medium with the type of rewards offered.  On future projects I probably will do a higher end more limited deck with my more photo realistic (and sexier) fantasy art.  Since my projects so far have not been focused on cards I'm starting with a modest goal and testing the waters.  Hope that answers some of the questions people had. I'm always happy to answer more and take feedback - you can just drop me a message on kickstarter or email.

Thanks! :)
--Jessica Feinberg

Hi! Welcome to the discourse!

You'll have to understand why we're so critical. Most of us are pretty hard critics. Your art has huge potential, but it doesn't seem like the pictures were drawn with a card deck in mind. They just look like they were sketches of assorted dragons that were put on a deck template.

The first step to improvement would be the back of the cards. Card collectors love two-way backs, meaning that the back looks the same no matter which way it's turned. As it is, the design looks more suited for the cover of the box. Perhaps try to draft some rough concepts of alternate back designs? It doesn't have to be super elaborate, just nice.

Thanks for stopping by!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:26 AM »

JCathryn

• Newcomer
I wasn't accusing anyone of being critical.  The deck isn't designed for card collectors.  it is designed as a companion to the book and for casual/family play as it pretty apparent from the kickstrater description.  As I said in my earlier comment I would consider doing a collector deck at some point, but it would not be with this style of art - I did this deck specifically for my fans. :)  Hope that's clear.  If you only want to look at and discuss decks for collectors than my probably shouldn't be on this forum.

Thanks!

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:52:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wasn't accusing anyone of being critical.  The deck isn't designed for card collectors.  it is designed as a companion to the book and for casual/family play as it pretty apparent from the kickstrater description.  As I said in my earlier comment I would consider doing a collector deck at some point, but it would not be with this style of art - I did this deck specifically for my fans. :)  Hope that's clear.  If you only want to look at and discuss decks for collectors than my probably shouldn't be on this forum.

Thanks!

Some of us do take a broader view, and I have to point out that of the most successful decks for "collectors", most achieved their success by reaching out far broader and wider than just us guys and gals with pasteboard on the brain!  You practically HAVE to go beyond us - we're avid and vocal, but we're also a teeny chunk of the overall market.

IF you are serious about making a second deck, let me know.  I do consulting work for designers looking to make decks.  I'm in the midst of a secret project right now, but my largest client to date is Uusi, makers of the Blue Blood, Bohemia, Royal Optik, Blueblood Redux and Pagan decks.  I started with them on their second deck, Bohemia, so the only deck of theirs I didn't work on was the original, Blue Blood - and even then, they were here on the forums, listening to comments from the others and me.

Oh really?  Sorry!  I'm not used to people actually being on top of my projects. If you want to remove this one that's fine. :)

I opted to merge them instead into a single topic.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:59:47 AM by Don Boyer »