You are Here:
Dan and Dave - where do you start and where do you go?

Author (Read 1007 times)

Dan and Dave - where do you start and where do you go?
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I buy things purely on hype and then never follow through with it - I have Dan and Dave's system, some of their print stuff, and I have their "tricks and everything else" set and even Madison's "Dangerous."

My question (and I am sorry if this has been asked a ka-jillion times) but... where do you start?

How would you put the cardistry DVD's or instruction in order? I have never done it, but would like to. So where does one start? And after ones starts... then where does one....go?

Thank you to everyone and feel free to move my thread if it's in the wrong place. I promise to start paying you all back with deck reviews.

ha ha
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

Re: Dan and Dave - where do you start and where do you go?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Honestly, I think cardistry is an open-ended topic. For starters, would would want to start with something easy, and not jump into top-notch D&D cardistry about Carnahan fans if you haven't learned a thumb fan.

If your a beginner, I recommend getting Genesis I by Andrei Jikh, produced with theory11. If you mastered everything from that DVD, then you may move to Genesis II, which is somewhat more advanced. After that, then may you move to more advanced things.

What's troubling for me is the fact how some people teach cardistry. I'm used to verbal lessons on things and do not prefer just silent text lessons. As most advanced cardistry is taught that way, I find it somewhat difficult.

Anyway, good luck! :))
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
I would pick D&D's academy (under "Learn "on their website), followed by Andrei Jikh's Genesis v1  or De'vo's Xtereme Beginners as a good starting point.
After that, if you wish to continue with flourishes, then you must learn and master Chris Kenner's Sybil, as that will help you relate to a lot of cuts rather easily.  Lots of sources and variants for the sybil are available online.
 Only after that would I recommend moving to something like DM's danderous motion, the system, the trilogy ,solo, papercuts or anything else you wish to do.

Hope that was helpful. Keep in touch with your flourishing journey. :))
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:57:39 PM by shz »
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
We actually have a recent topic on beginning cardistry.
http://aethercards.com/discourse/magical-cardistry-bonanza/beginner-cardistry/
As for Dan and Dave starting points, I'd suggest the Academy. Great for beginners. As far as magic goes, I'd suggest Fourgasm. Great effect, and I think it looks awesome. You can probably learn it just from watching the performance over and over again. The Trilogy is definitely more advanced, but it's a fantastic collection of tricks and flourishes.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
You guys have been AMAZINGLY helpful, thanks so much for all the terrific answers. I'm going to look for my library for the items you suggested.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »

Gavin

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
I'd also mention since you already have the trilogy (TricksflourishesandEverythingelse), you should go to the Everything else disc and there is a thing called "Flourishes 101". You probably already know about this, but go there and learn the one handed revolution cut. That thing is nearly impossible to learn properly via youtube, 99% of the tutorials I've seen on it show you how to do it the wrong way. You don't push up the bottom packet like a charlier, and your ring finger should never leave the long side of the deck.

It's important you learn that one flourish properly because a lot of other flourishes use it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:19:52 PM by Gavin »

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

ibrahimjaber

• Paranoid Polly
Cardistry = No Rules
You like  flourish Start learning it
where would you go with it
master it then customize it
make it yours & practice
Good Luck

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
First off, thank you so much for your answers. This site is so helpful and the people here so friendly, it's been great!

I guess my biggest problem is in my massive collection. In my younger feeverish days, I amassed a canon of videos and books, skimmed em for a few good tricks and then went on to the next big thing. I have been doing that since I started, always feeling the effect of "not having the best" and wanting more. I am such a victim of advertising. (*)

Now, at 44, I turn and look back at this HUGE pile and think. There is several lifetimes of magic in there. I don't need to go forward, I need to go back. In every other part of my life, I have had a teacher, a mentor, but in magic... it's very solitary and you end up learning magic from the internet, which... like has been said earlier... has no rules.

I kind of like rules. Especially when I learn. I value someone smarter and wiser than me telling me where to go. After all, I don't know much - even after having done magic for 20 years. I can still say, "Yea, I'm a noob." (ha ha)

* Just to give you an idea, I'm going to post my library in my introduction thread
http://aethercards.com/discourse/introduce-yourself/magic-orthodoxy-from-texas-california-and-regions-beyonf/