You are Here:
Dan & Dave Variety Box (combined topic)

Author (Read 19792 times)

Re: D&D Variety Box, Summer/Autumn 2014
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:45 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Just feel they should stop repeating decks from previous Variety Box.

I already can predict the next Variety box will have a clip joint and a arrco tahoe

I keep waiting for them to show up on deckstarter for "funding".
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I keep waiting for them to show up on deckstarter for "funding".

For cards or coffee?

« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Yes     
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Randy does an awesome job with brick boxes! It's like getting Christmas presents that are wrapped in cash! Win-win! :-) Back when his store was open, I picked up several of the original ornate (and MCC) boxes, intending on using them as storage for the decks that I had then. Once I got them, they were so beautiful that I couldn't bear to pack them full and put wear and tear on them, so I still have them packed flat in my "Randy Butterfield Collection" crates! I like the added benefit of having the half brick boxes to reward those who don't (or simply can't) spring for a full brick. Showing everyone the love!

Back to this set...it's good if you are new to collecting (Whether to save or use), or have missed out on a significant number of the included releases, but for anyone else who has been around a few years, they are a pass. I'd love to see more rare/older decks in a half or full brick...although pricey for sure, it's something that everyone could get excited about. This kind of reminds me of the old days where I would buy an entire cassette or CD for one or two songs, with little to no interest in the rest. Now, it's easy to just buy what you like and ignore the rest.

Do some extremely limited EPCC/LPCC "Brick exclusive" versions to thrown in there, and maybe a mystery old rare deck as well and that would pique my interest.
As always, just my two cents' worth of rambling. :-)

Dan & Dave Variety Box (combined topic)
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »

GBrown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Another Variety Box release:

Our Endless Summer 2014 Variety Box includes the following decks of playing cards.
1.Boardwalk Papers
2.BeeĀ® "Watermelon" RJRTC
3.Misc. Goods Co.
4.Fontaine, Blue
5.DeckStarterĀ®
6.Virtuoso, Summer 2014 Ed.
7.Voltige, Parisian Blue
8.Magic-Con 2014
9.Smoke & Mirrors, Blue
10.NOC, Yellow
11.Bohemia, blue
12.Polaris

Limited to 144 numbered boxes. Signed certificate of authenticity included.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:51:40 AM by Don Boyer »
You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stop playing!!!

Re: D&D 'Endless Summer' Variety Box
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2014, 01:44:26 AM »

GBrown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Apologies for the misspelling of the title; must use spell check!
You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stop playing!!!

« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2014, 01:52:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Apologies for the misspelling of the title; must use spell check!

Fixed.  When you re-edit the first post's title, the topic's title changes.

As far as VBs from them go, they've had much worse.

Link: http://shop.dananddave.com/variety-box.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:54:45 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2014, 02:55:27 AM »

GBrown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I agree Don; its an interesting mix and there are half of them that I have yet to incorporate in my own collection.  I was tempted to pick it up, but at circa $70 for international shipping (express option only), its a no go.

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2014, 03:08:09 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It's a nice mix of decks, but none of which are particularly rare that interests me. I skip the previous one with the Private reserves already, this one seems much easier to miss.

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
This one doesn't seem to be that special to me... Are there any exceptionally rare or cool decks at all? Unless I'm missing something (very possible since I'm a n00b =P), they all appear to be relatively easy to obtain decks...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:48:49 AM by aldazar »

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
The variety box seems light and refreshing ! Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a decent variety of fun cards

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2014, 08:20:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This one doesn't seem to be that special to me... Are there any exceptionally rare or cool decks at all? Unless I'm missing something (very possible since I'm a n00b =P), they all appear to be relatively easy to obtain decks...

The Deckstarter deck isn't for sale, for one.

A few of the others have been sold out for some time.  They're not uber-rare or hard to find, but they're certainly not selling at the original MSRP., to wit:

Bee RJRTC
Fontaine, Blue
Virtuoso, Summer 2014
Magic-Con 2014
Bohemia, Blue
Polaris

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
This Variety Box was okay for me. I wanted the Private Reserves to be included, but it looks like that's not going to happen. It's a decent purchase if your looking for variety, hence the name, I'll give them that.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This Variety Box was okay for me. I wanted the Private Reserves to be included, but it looks like that's not going to happen. It's a decent purchase if your looking for variety, hence the name, I'll give them that.

I agree with you it's a nice variety of cards. It's perfect for someone starting out as well, a nice little mini collection that can give someone a taste of whats out there without a bike on it. While it's not for me, and probably not geared toward most of us here because we probably have a majority of the decks already. I think those new to the scene would really enjoy them. There are a few really great decks included, the watermelon Bees, Boardwalk Papers, Bohemia blues, Virtuoso's are very nice decks. I love the Lemon slice Noc V3's too but I like all Noc v3's.  :)

Edit: Couldn't stand it. They also added some real stinker decks in this one. Blue Fontaines, Magic-con 2014 etc, honestly you can piece meal this variety box together and save some cash by sticking your own into a CARC brick box. Unless you really like poorly designed decks like those two. Just sayin, it's subjective but hey tossing it out there so I can sleep at night. No offense to anyone intended at all. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:19:56 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I agree with you it's a nice variety of cards. It's perfect for someone starting out as well, a nice little mini collection that can give someone a taste of whats out there without a bike on it. While it's not for me, and probably not geared toward most of us here because we probably have a majority of the decks already. I think those new to the scene would really enjoy them. There are a few really great decks included, the watermelon Bees, Boardwalk Papers, Bohemia blues, Virtuoso's are very nice decks. I love the Lemon slice Noc V3's too but I like all Noc v3's.  :)

Edit: Couldn't stand it. They also added some real stinker decks in this one. Blue Fontaines, Magic-con 2014 etc, honestly you can piece meal this variety box together and save some cash by sticking your own into a CARC brick box. Unless you really like poorly designed decks like those two. Just sayin, it's subjective but hey tossing it out there so I can sleep at night. No offense to anyone intended at all. :)

As much as you hate it, the Blue Fontaines and all Magic-Con decks are quite highly sought after, at least around where i am. Why these two decks? I don't understand as well. (Especially Magic-Con 2014, really not my style.) But they are still considered "good" market value decks. I think compared to previous VBs where there is 1-2 rare decks and the rest are cheaper 1s, this VB seems a little more balanced out. Bohemia, Virts and Watermelons though not hard to find, do still command some good market value in the resellers market.

For this VB, there is not one deck that makes us go "WoW", but i think the overall "value" is still ok. At least finally no more Clip Joints and Arrco Tahoe.

« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2014, 01:09:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

For this VB, there is not one deck that makes us go "WoW",

Why would someone go "World of Warcraft" for a deck??  :))

It's not a super-stellar box, just a mellow mix, mostly on the decent-to-good side with perhaps a few clunkers.  As pointed out, at least they're not the same clunkers that have appeared in all-too-many of their Variety Boxes.  I'm usually one to complain about the selection in these things (which is why I rarely get VBs from anyone) but this, aside from the lack of a real showstopper of a deck, is not something you could complain too much about, unless you already owned most of what's being offered and didn't need or want more.

As of 1:13AM Eastern, they're still available.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:13:46 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2014, 02:43:05 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

As much as you hate it, the Blue Fontaines and all Magic-Con decks are quite highly sought after, at least around where i am. Why these two decks? I don't understand as well. (Especially Magic-Con 2014, really not my style.) But they are still considered "good" market value decks. I think compared to previous VBs where there is 1-2 rare decks and the rest are cheaper 1s, this VB seems a little more balanced out. Bohemia, Virts and Watermelons though not hard to find, do still command some good market value in the resellers market.

For this VB, there is not one deck that makes us go "WoW", but i think the overall "value" is still ok. At least finally no more Clip Joints and Arrco Tahoe.

If someone isn't a magic-con deck collector the bicycle star deck almost the same deck and has a much better tuck. Need a blue deck with a solid back? Blue Noc and it won't have a 1/5000 on the bottom of the tuck. Blue Fontaines, 15,000 deck run, not 5,000. Very unimpressive imho. I had 1 deck of each of these, traded them both. One for a red bike and one for a blue bike. Worried ever since that he'd want his bikes back when he realized he got taken. haha, I joking, I did trade them for bikes though. My pals son liked them much more than I did, I would have given them to him but he likes to haggle. Worked for me, I like bikes. :)

It's cool if someone thinks the Magic-con deck is the cats meow. It's cool if someone thinks the blue fontaines are the most amazing thing since sliced bread. They're wrong lol, but it's okay. :) I felt I should edit my post so I did, I still think the VB is an okay value and it does have a nice variety in it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:44:10 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

If someone isn't a magic-con deck collector the bicycle star deck almost the same deck and has a much better tuck. Need a blue deck with a solid back? Blue Noc and it won't have a 1/5000 on the bottom of the tuck. Blue Fontaines, 15,000 deck run, not 5,000. Very unimpressive imho. I had 1 deck of each of these, traded them both. One for a red bike and one for a blue bike. Worried ever since that he'd want his bikes back when he realized he got taken. haha, I joking, I did trade them for bikes though. My pals son liked them much more than I did, I would have given them to him but he likes to haggle. Worked for me, I like bikes. :)

It's cool if someone thinks the Magic-con deck is the cats meow. It's cool if someone thinks the blue fontaines are the most amazing thing since sliced bread. They're wrong lol, but it's okay. :) I felt I should edit my post so I did, I still think the VB is an okay value and it does have a nice variety in it.

I can tell you really do not like those 2 decks.  :P Like i said, i too think the Magic-Con 2014 deck is horrible, but that is just the both of us. I did not say they were good decks, I'm just saying the perceived market value for a Magic-Con and Fontaine deck is much higher, and more sought after, then a bike or clip joint. The overall "value" is more evenly balanced throughout each deck making it a good buy especially for people who do not have these decks.

As far as design-wise for each deck, i just have to say it is really up to personal opinion, but for someone who is looking for variety, or just started collecting, i would say it is a good buy compared to their previous VBs. I'm just not getting it because i already have most of the decks. To be honest, it has been awhile since i got anything from D&D though.

Dan & Dave Variety Box
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hey guys, I thought that having a single post for Dan & Dave's Variety Boxes might help clean up the forum a little and make searching a little more user friendly for the boxes. Don't know if we could merge other V Box topics here or if it would even be worht it, but just an idea.

I was looking at their most recent box, the Winter 2014/2015 and really liking some of the entries in this one. Hollingworth is definitely something I have been looking to add to my collection, but didn't want an expensive clip or box set. And the Black Edition of the Whispering Imps series is another great deck to include here. The Ultimate Deck is a nice value boost, and I will be glad to get one I haven't opened without having to spend full MSRP on it. Also like seeing Voltige and the red Misc. Goods deck. Overall not the worst box they have done in recent memory and I am definitely going to be snagging one.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Dan & Dave Variety Box
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey guys, I thought that having a single post for Dan & Dave's Variety Boxes might help clean up the forum a little and make searching a little more user friendly for the boxes. Don't know if we could merge other V Box topics here or if it would even be worht it, but just an idea.

Good idea Justin. Merge Started.

Edit- Some of the first post have the V1- V5 decks listed. If someone wanted to complete the list -V6 to current. That would be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:13:20 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good idea Justin. Merge Started.

Edit- Some of the first post have the V1- V5 decks listed. If someone wanted to complete the list -V6 to current. That would be pretty cool.

Those early Variety Boxes are like finding gold - not easy to get your hands on, especially with all the decks intact.

« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 01:51:33 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Those early Variety Boxes are like finding gold - not easy to get your hands on, especially with all the decks intact.

Yeah, the early variety boxes included some amazing decks! These contemporary boxes hardly compare, but are still a great places to get some harder to find decks, and excellent for newer collectors to jumpstart their collections.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Dan & Dave Variety Box (combined topic)
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This winter box isn't bad at all, I agree. I actually like almost every deck in it this time. Who would have thought I'd ever say that about a Variety box from Dan and Dave haha. This just happened! ;)

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I just purchased my Variety Box yesterday. With D&D's ongoing holiday special, you get a deck of Private Reserves with every order over $150, so it works out great. They are also offering free shipping on orders over $75, and I had a coupon code to save me about 10%. However, as I live in California, I had to pay sales tax, so the coupon code just alleviated the sales tax.

However, if you are anywhere out of California, the purchase is a no brainer!

I'll have an unboxing video of the package up shortly when it arrives. :)
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2014, 03:42:17 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I didn't realize they were giving away private reserves with purchases over $150... I only got the Variety Box, and with free shipping I was cents short and only got the mystery deck. Kicking myself a little bit now...