You are Here:
Bicycle Mayhem Playing Cards deck (KS)

Author (Read 7598 times)

Bicycle Mayhem Playing Cards deck (KS)
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Bicycle Mayhem Playing Cards deck (KS)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I'm not really a fan of how they've written the name of each card on that card and the back design seems a bit messy for me and I'm not sure how these would translate into actual cards, I don't think it would look anywhere near what they've shown.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This deck is a baroque mess and completely NOT evocative of "mayhem" in the least, except perhaps in that it's an assault to the eyes.

BTW: I can't be the only person to notice that the word "MAYHEM" is spelled backwards on the top of the deck, when re-oriented correctly for reading...

I tried to use the snipping tool to save and rotate the image, but the freakin' mouse on the computer at work is broken - can't select an area or multiple items, just one.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
The project creators have responded to the backers regarding the mirrored back, and have corrected it.

I see potential here, although I agree that the design needs to be cleaned up a bit for that potential to be realized. Does the Discourse have an ambassador of sorts to encourage the deck creators to pay a visit? If not, I'll drop them a line and see if they respond.
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:07:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The project creators have responded to the backers regarding the mirrored back, and have corrected it.

I see potential here, although I agree that the design needs to be cleaned up a bit for that potential to be realized. Does the Discourse have an ambassador of sorts to encourage the deck creators to pay a visit? If not, I'll drop them a line and see if they respond.

I hereby appoint you unofficial ambassador to Kickstarter-land!

Y'know, that actually sounds like a position that's worth making official...  I have to discuss it with the other administrators.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:07:59 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:24:56 AM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
Challenge accepted! Invitation sent!
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
The things that seem wrong about this deck to me is the name as I don't see how these look like mayhem at all.  Second, I worry how these will look actually printed.

I like the idea and coloring but I'm just afraid those colors won't translate.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Does the Discourse have an ambassador of sorts to encourage the deck creators to pay a visit?

Doesn't Pierre do that?  :)
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does the Discourse have an ambassador of sorts to encourage the deck creators to pay a visit?

Doesn't Pierre do that?  :)

Actually, he's got a new job.  Keep your eyes open...

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Jwats

Yes I usually invite any new creator to  our forums. I have already invited the cardicians on their previous decks.. I forget if they came or not

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
Hi, all.

I received this reply earlier today from Mike at Cardicians:

I've tried to register over 20 times , i keep getting stuck on the captrue word thing, basically my answer is this, i always read what discourse and united cardists have to say, be it positive or negative, the truth is that I dont design cards for a select few I design what i feel looks good to me and thus attract like minded people, those are the backers i want. there is just no way possible to please everyone, but I do take note of things that are said and always try to incorporate in the designs, but I wont change my style because 5 guys didnt like it, its my style its who i am, i hope you understand where im going with this.

thanks mate
Mike

Mike did make a few posts at UC earlier today (it looks like he created his account there a couple of months ago), and I do hope to engage him some more on specific design elements. As it stands, though, it looks like the conversation on the Discourse will be in one direction.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 02:19:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi, all.

I received this reply earlier today from Mike at Cardicians:

I've tried to register over 20 times , i keep getting stuck on the captrue word thing, basically my answer is this, i always read what discourse and united cardists have to say, be it positive or negative, the truth is that I dont design cards for a select few I design what i feel looks good to me and thus attract like minded people, those are the backers i want. there is just no way possible to please everyone, but I do take note of things that are said and always try to incorporate in the designs, but I wont change my style because 5 guys didnt like it, its my style its who i am, i hope you understand where im going with this.

thanks mate
Mike

Mike did make a few posts at UC earlier today (it looks like he created his account there a couple of months ago), and I do hope to engage him some more on specific design elements. As it stands, though, it looks like the conversation on the Discourse will be in one direction.

If you would kindly refer them to me regarding their difficulty getting an account established, I'd be happy to help them with this.  It's not the first case of this type I've heard.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
Hi, Don.

I messaged Mike your e-mail address. He also replied to my previous private message, and I am very encouraged by his response. I look forward to him joining us here soon!

Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 03:28:13 PM »

Cardicians

• Newcomer
Finally Im here, thanks for sorting that out Don. Ok alot of negative remarks here towards the deck. never the less Im listening if anyone has anything to add .

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
Finally Im here, thanks for sorting that out Don. Ok alot of negative remarks here towards the deck. never the less Im listening if anyone has anything to add .

I'm just curious on why you are calling the deck "Mayhem"

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »

Cardicians

• Newcomer
when I was sitting designing the deck I was playing around with all different styles, at one point i thought this is total mayhem, hence the name, maybe not the best name in the world, i also just wanted to be different, i coluld have easily gone for some elegant name, but yeah i just felt mayhem worked for me :)

alright so im editing this as instructed hope this is right

ok where to start I am in no way going head to head against elite, . As to making changes to this deck Iv decided that wouldnt be fair to the backers that have pledged already for this deck the way it is, i was contemplating a vote but a few backers set me straight , stick to my vision. However it would be nice to possibly get feedback from you guys before realising a new deck, i dunno do you guys do that sorta thing?

anyway thanks for your time and im here to answer any other questions you may have

ps  im actually a video editor i started in print many moons ago I make a living making videos, the cards are pure passion, i just love designing cards, maybe too much :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:18:57 PM by Cardicians »

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »

Cardicians

• Newcomer
I even manged to mess the back up as Don pointed out, I was just excited at the look of it...

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular

I tried to use the snipping tool to save and rotate the image, but the freakin' mouse on the computer at work is broken - can't select an area or multiple items, just one.

Wait, wait. You WORK?    ::)

(I'm just jealous....don't mind me.)

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I even manged to mess the back up as Don pointed out, I was just excited at the look of it...

Hey Mike. Nice to have you on the forums. In order to avoid multiple successive posts by the same person, just try to edit the last post you made and add anything you might have missed.  Good luck with your Mayhem project

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You're welcome.

We've seen a number of baroque designs come through Kickstarter - Elite Playing Cards is best known for them.  In order to stand out, you need something that really stands out.  Have you considered paring down some of the deck's elements?  Having just a few baroque elements in a plainer surrounding might make them stand out all the more due to the contrast between them.  It would make for an interesting fusion.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Don

Mike used to do the Elite decks until he branched out on his own and formed Cardicians, hence the design similarities

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don

Mike used to do the Elite decks until he branched out on his own and formed Cardicians, hence the design similarities

Ah ha!  I did not know that!

But my evaluation of the design still stands.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Don

That explains A LOT! i was thinking it looks like a deck the Elite would come out with. I will make my stand as i used to previously, I have decks from Elite, I think they have nice designs, but i stop getting their decks (I think it's only me) because it becomes a little too expected and repetitive for me.

That being said, I hope Mike doesn't take any offense in this, but, you should give people a reason to support your deck instead of Elites deck if you are branching out on your own. If you are going head to head with Elite then there needs to be a lot of fine tuning. If not, as Don mentioned, why not try something a little different with Cardician's own signature on it? It could work out for the better.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That explains A LOT! i was thinking it looks like a deck the Elite would come out with. I will make my stand as i used to previously, I have decks from Elite, I think they have nice designs, but i stop getting their decks (I think it's only me) because it becomes a little too expected and repetitive for me.

That being said, I hope Mike doesn't take any offense in this, but, you should give people a reason to support your deck instead of Elites deck if you are branching out on your own. If you are going head to head with Elite then there needs to be a lot of fine tuning. If not, as Don mentioned, why not try something a little different with Cardician's own signature on it? It could work out for the better.

The man makes a good point...