Lincoln Playing Cards (D&D)
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Lincoln Playing Cards

Quote from: D&D
Bored of those humdrum card houses you make at Grandma’s? Tired of mundane plastic-coated playing cards? Look no further! Lincoln playing cards are crafted from genuine birch plywood and function as a full deck of cards. Not only will you enjoy the ability to play countess card games, but interlocking slots allow for the creation of infinite designs and structures. Lose at poker? No hard feelings— make a tree out of that crummy hand! With a rich patina and smooth finish, you can’t go wrong picking up a box of plywood fun.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Lincoln Playing Cards (D&D)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Umm...  Err...  Hmm...

I was kind of hoping that the "JK" on the Joker stands for "Just Kidding..."  But at $36 a pack, even with the interesting interlocking feature, it's an easy pass.

They're not even "playing cards" - more like "playing slabs," except perhaps in China, where I'm told that the same word is used for both "card" and "tile."  Y'know, like mah-jongg tiles...

They're a complete and total novelty.  Not saying a novelty is a bad thing, just that it's a lot to spend on a novelty.  Then again, if the Pet Rock came out today instead of in the '70s, it would probably cost this much...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:17:16 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
hahaha, this cracks me up!

I think some of us have seen wooden playing cards before but not with notches cut into them. May be kind of fun to build a little something from them but the price isn't exactly friendly. Those notches are going to make them hell to shuffle too.

I swear they're having a laugh here, cause I am. ;D
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:18 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
They're not even "playing cards" - more like "playing slabs," except perhaps in China, where I'm told that the same word is used for both "card" and "tile."  Y'know, like mah-jongg tiles...

I'm guessing that the word you are looking at is 牌. From what i understand, the word 牌(pai) is used mainly for gaming purposes, where as 卡(ka) is more for credit cards, membership cards etc..and name cards are another word altogether. Mahjong, is regarded as a "card game" although they use tiles, thus the same usage of 牌. I do not think it is wrong to say 扑克卡, which directly translates to Poker Cards, but the more common tongue is to use 牌.

Just FYI. I may be wrong too, but just to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, back to the cards, i am guessing if you look at it as a "toy" or something that "builds structures" then it may be slightly more reasonable than looking at it as a deck of cards, like lego or something. Definitely a novelty, but also definitely a pass for me.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
So disappointing, from the title I was expecting a cool historic deck featuring US President Lincoln.  I don't even know what this silliness is..

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

I'm guessing that the word you are looking at is 牌. From what i understand, the word 牌(pai) is used mainly for gaming purposes, where as 卡(ka) is more for credit cards, membership cards etc..and name cards are another word altogether. Mahjong, is regarded as a "card game" although they use tiles, thus the same usage of 牌. I do not think it is wrong to say 扑克卡, which directly translates to Poker Cards, but the more common tongue is to use 牌.

Anyway, back to the cards, i am guessing if you look at it as a "toy" or something that "builds structures" then it may be slightly more reasonable than looking at it as a deck of cards, like lego or something. Definitely a novelty, but also definitely a pass for me.

It is actually incorrect to use 卡(ka) with poker cards...the correct term is 扑克牌

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 02:34:15 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Skallops are much cooler! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803756771/skallops-build-big

that is definitely cooler than this deck of playing cards... or whatever it is...
Back for more

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:49:58 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

It is actually incorrect to use 卡(ka) with poker cards...the correct term is 扑克牌

From my understanding, it is not incorrect to use 卡(ka) with poker cards. This term is used in Taiwan and certain parts of China, whereas 扑克牌 is used in most parts of China as well as mandarin-speaking Asian countries like Malaysia and Singapore. The term commonly used in Taiwan should be 扑克卡牌, whereby 卡 = cards and 牌 = deck, so it translates into Poker Card Deck. 扑克牌 is more commonly used throughout the globe, and saying 扑克卡 feels weird even for me, but does not necessarily make it incorrect.

At least that's what i think....   :P