Author (Read 42681 times)

Re: magic con v2 confirmed
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
"I wanted to buy them, why did you let others be faster than me?!"
Really guys? ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »

anhedonia

I don't think it's a matter of speed, but a matter of limit. Just limit each purchase to a brick. At least then more individuals could get them.

« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
"I wanted to buy them, why did you let others be faster than me?!"
Really guys? ::)

They spent the entire weekend stoking demand for a product that sold out in under 60 seconds.  Does this sound like a way to make your customers even remotely happy?  It's as simple as that, Moon.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
You had your chance the first time. If you didn't take it, then too bad. I'm in no way a big fan of D&D but it seems like every little thing is an excuse for bitching these days, it's getting seriously annoying. It's one of the reasons my post count has dropped and my interest in the forum with it.

« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
I don't think it's a matter of speed, but a matter of limit. Just limit each purchase to a brick. At least then more individuals could get them.

Agree with that, I was waiting for days since I missed the first time as I busy at the time of release. Imagine those people who have slower internet connection and took a longer time to load the page. I was lucky internet in my university is fast enough, but still unlucky enough to have missed getting a single one after the long wait.  :(

« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
You had your chance the first time. If you didn't take it, then too bad. I'm in no way a big fan of D&D but it seems like every little thing is an excuse for bitching these days, it's getting seriously annoying. It's one of the reasons my post count has dropped and my interest in the forum with it.

Agreed! too much bitching is why you see me very little anymore (havent been on for about a week)
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
We have to expect 500 decks to go quick, really it's just like any limited release whether its from t11, Ellusionist or TBC. These decks are expected to be popular. So I don't see why people should bag D&D for that.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
This kind of thing has to be expected now a days, even if they had put a limit on the orders. If the order limit was 6, and assuming that the majority of people who were able to purchase bought at that limit, there would be about 100 transactions that would be able to be put through.

Remember when Ellusionist had their Red Artifice deck released and the whole website/server crash deal? I remember reading that they were experiencing roughly 600+ page loads a second, so even if a portion of those collectors wanted the Magi-Con v2 decks, there would be more than enough people to buy out the remaining stock in < 1 minute. In my opinion, no matter what D&D would have done, there would be people pissed off, there is no comprise that can satisfy all.

As for the marketing that D&D has done to sell the decks, I believe it was fair and the hype for the sale was really generated from the community rather than a hardcore marketing plan by the Bucks. Simply put, all D&D did was state that they had a few more decks going to be released ( Which either planned or not because of the attendance to the convention ), and stated what time they would go on sale. There was not marketing of these decks stating they were the best decks ever created and you must buy them in order to live a happy and successful life, the excitement for these decks was pretty much self created by the community ( and in my opinion by people knowing that the aftermarket value would be pretty good for the reseller ). I mean, what else is D&D going to do?, just secretly put the rest up for sale in the store without saying anything? I bet that would piss just as many people off, if not more.

I don't understand much of the complaints by members of the community for missing out on a deck, everyone has roughly the same opportunity (internet speed, ect..) to purchase decks for their collection and it is not the end of the world if you don't end up with a deck you wanted, just move on.

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I don't believe it. Hate on me as much as you'd like, I think D&D lied to us. It's literally impossible for 500 decks to sell out that fast, especially as a second release. I'm not b*tching since I wasn't expecting to get any either time, but I'm just starting to get tired of D&D and their RIDICULOUS marketing tactics. I believe they lied on them having some more in stock, so they could fake a 1 minute sell out and increase the demand/worth of these cards. I'm not falling for this. I think that now AC members hate D&D more than UC members hate De'vo, and that means a lot!

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sound like their store setup can really be a disadvantage in this kind of situation. Putting something in your cart and having it disappear while trying to pay is a big disappointment.

While kind of limited in other ways, I like that the store software I have puts a "hold" on things when you put them in the cart, so you have 30 min to finish your checkout. That gives you the chance to buy what you want. You still have to get there on time to get it in your cart in a rush situation, but at least don't have something sold out from under you. Nothing is perfect but it seems like that is a bit fairer.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Well looks like I will have less competition when I go to buy my V7's. ;D I don't get why people are mad, everyone had an equal opportunity. :-\ I acctualy forgot about this and so didn't get any. :-[ It is only a convention deck though, so it doesn't really matter. 8)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't believe it. Hate on me as much as you'd like, I think D&D lied to us. It's literally impossible for 500 decks to sell out that fast, especially as a second release. I'm not b*tching since I wasn't expecting to get any either time, but I'm just starting to get tired of D&D and their RIDICULOUS marketing tactics. I believe they lied on them having some more in stock, so they could fake a 1 minute sell out and increase the demand/worth of these cards.

I can accept your opinion if you don't agree with my math, and that is fine. My only question to you then would be, what does D&D have to benefit from resale prices? Unless they plan on "finding" more Magi-Con v2 deck and selling them at aftermarket prices, which I highly doubt they will because that would be a horrible PR move, what extra money would D&D have to gain for raising the aftermarket price of their cards?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:39:10 PM by Curt »

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
It's literally impossible for 500 decks to sell out that fast
Did you even read the post above yours? If you haven't, do it now and stop making stuff up. Or look up the definition of "literally", whichever you need.

While kind of limited in other ways, I like that the store software I have puts a "hold" on things when you put them in the cart, so you have 30 min to finish your checkout.
Not to be off topic, but may I ask what your store software is? I should start looking into the options I have eventually. :P

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I don't believe it. Hate on me as much as you'd like, I think D&D lied to us. It's literally impossible for 500 decks to sell out that fast, especially as a second release. I'm not b*tching since I wasn't expecting to get any either time, but I'm just starting to get tired of D&D and their RIDICULOUS marketing tactics. I believe they lied on them having some more in stock, so they could fake a 1 minute sell out and increase the demand/worth of these cards. I'm not falling for this. I think that now AC members hate D&D more than UC members hate De'vo, and that means a lot!

I have to disagree with you, 1. These decks are self hyped and that is why they sold out so fast. They Are Popular. 2. They hardly marketed this deck, they were hyped by the community, not Dan and Dave. Therefore not a marketing strategy 3. As curt said what would D&D have to gain from the decks raising in value?

Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »

walther

I don't get why people are mad, everyone had an equal opportunity.
For me, at least, it's not a matter of not being fast enough, or having a slow connection or anything else. It's the fact that I got on the web site and I got items into my basket within 5 seconds of the button become active, then by the time i get through to hit the paypal screen I get told, nope, never mind, we don't have any. The system is obviously intelligent enough to know when the inventory is gone, if it's in my cart it should be pulled from inventory. I wouldn't be mad at all if I got there in 1 second hit the button and got a sold out message, then I know I just wasn't fast enough, but to say hey congrats you got here in time and then in the middle of your transaction say sold out, that's just wrong.

« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
With limited releases like these its wise to remember "you win some-you lose some"!  I got shut out of the whole Red Artifice debacle but I managed to get some Black Crowns and some Magic-Con's.  I have long ago settled on one simple fact about my card collecting.  Your not going to get every deck you've ever or will ever want at market prices!  Whether you've missed out on a release or the deck was produced before you started collecting, In the end sometimes if you really want the deck your gonna have to shell out a little money or give up something else in a trade.  If you are not willing to do this then consider how badly you want the deck.  Yes it is frustrating to get shut out but one deck is not going to make or break you.  In the end I decided to pay after market prices for my red artifice deck.  I can assure you this....after making the decision of whether I wanted the deck bad enough to bay 8 times the market price for it....I still don't regret my decision.  Now if I had paid the same amount of money for a Merz Trace deck...... :o

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I don't get why people are mad, everyone had an equal opportunity.
For me, at least, it's not a matter of not being fast enough, or having a slow connection or anything else. It's the fact that I got on the web site and I got items into my basket within 5 seconds of the button become active, then by the time i get through to hit the paypal screen I get told, nope, never mind, we don't have any. The system is obviously intelligent enough to know when the inventory is gone, if it's in my cart it should be pulled from inventory. I wouldn't be mad at all if I got there in 1 second hit the button and got a sold out message, then I know I just wasn't fast enough, but to say hey congrats you got here in time and then in the middle of your transaction say sold out, that's just wrong.
I do Agree that once you begin your transaction the items should be pulled from your cart. I was more refering to the people who just simply arn't fast enough and dont get decks, Not the people who have them in their carts and are then told that they are sold-out in the middle of the transaction. That is wrong.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I can accept your opinion if you don't agree with my math, and that is fine. My only question to you then would be, what does D&D have to benefit from resale prices? Unless they plan on "finding" more Magi-Con v2 deck and selling them at aftermarket prices, which I highly doubt they will because that would be a horrible PR move, what extra money would D&D have to gain for raising the aftermarket price of their cards?
Actually when I replied to this thread, your post didn't appear, and when I posted mine, it didn't notify me that your post had been made. So I actually hadn't seen your post until now.
Your math makes it seem more plausible, but I don't think it is impossible for people such as D&D to lie to us in such a way. By lying to us they would make publicity for themselves: collectors would want to buy more of their decks because they sell out so fast and have such high retail prices. Take a look at the first Magic Con deck. It had a high resell price. So most collectors jumped on the occasion of buying Magic Con 2 so they could make some extra bucks. If the twins decide to make a Magic Con 3 deck, they will have an even higher demand since people will think "Magic Con 2 sold out in 1 minute, so I shouldn't miss out on this opportunity!".

@Moon - Maybe "literally" wasn't right, but what all the members who tried getting these said was that it wasn't possible to checkout in less than 1 minute, so how would NONE of the AC members been able to get them?
Also, no other rare decks have sold out this fast to my knowledge, so why would suddenly a D&D deck sell out this fast?

« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Actually when I replied to this thread, your post didn't appear, and when I posted mine, it didn't notify me that your post had been made. So I actually hadn't seen your post until now.
Your math makes it seem more plausible, but I don't think it is impossible for people such as D&D to lie to us in such a way. By lying to us they would make publicity for themselves: collectors would want to buy more of their decks because they sell out so fast and have such high retail prices. Take a look at the first Magic Con deck. It had a high resell price. So most collectors jumped on the occasion of buying Magic Con 2 so they could make some extra bucks. If the twins decide to make a Magic Con 3 deck, they will have an even higher demand since people will think "Magic Con 2 sold out in 1 minute, so I shouldn't miss out on this opportunity!".

@Moon - Maybe "literally" wasn't right, but what all the members who tried getting these said was that it wasn't possible to checkout in less than 1 minute, so how would NONE of the AC members been able to get them?
Also, no other rare decks have sold out this fast to my knowledge, so why would suddenly a D&D deck sell out this fast?
These sold out faster beause there was 500 decks, not 5000+.

« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

These sold out faster beause there was 500 decks, not 5000+.
Gold Monarchs were 144. RA weren't 5,000 either, were more hyped, and were a first sale.

« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
No one knows that the pre released version would be different from the normal one.
Everyone thought its not limited.

« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

The pre-release of the monarch decks sold out very quick, around a minute. Granted there were only 111 decks on sale but that is not to say if there were 500 for sale that it would have taken any longer, because there were a fair number of people that said they missed out on the decks. Also, the hype for the monarch pre-release was pretty tame compared to the Magi-Con V2 re-release because people had the expectations that they could buy more monarchs at later on in the month.

I am not arguing that the sell out was not very fast, but I am just saying that if I was able to look at the number of decks sold from hot, new releases that the community was excited for, I would bet that the first 500 decks would sell very fast and the speed of sales would drop exponentially as more and more decks were sold ( because the main portion of the consumers would have already placed their order ). Do you see what I am getting at?

Edit: The two posts above me kind of start to explain what my post is getting at, dang you guys are fast.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:03:51 AM by Curt »

« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i dont understand why they dont just print them again due to demand from the fans it would be win for them as they would make more money and all of us would get the decks we want for the right price

« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
i dont understand why they dont just print them again due to demand from the fans it would be win for them as they would make more money and all of us would get the decks we want for the right price
That would be unfair to the people who bought the decks because they were extremely limited, rare, and collectible.

« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I think it comes down to simple economics, a higher supply = a lower demand. In other words, they would have to judge perfectly the number of decks that would be printed in order to satisfy the demand and the more decks that are printed, the lower the demand would become due variables like people wanting rarity, and higher resale values. When more decks are printed, there is a risk that some will not sell, ergo a loss in revenue and storage space where the decks not sold would have to be stored until they are able to get rid of them.

That would be unfair to the people who bought the decks because they were extremely limited, rare, and collectible.

These would be some of the variable that I am talking about in what generates the demand for the product.