You are Here:
magic con v2 confirmed

Author (Read 42716 times)

Re: magic con v2 confirmed
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I know a lot of people are upset that they weren't able to grab some.  Trust me, I been in the same situation one to many times.  But was anybody on here able to get some besides me?
- Adam

« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
My screen went from confirming my purchase, then it glitched to they were sold out, so I'm honestly not sure if I got any this time   :-\
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My screen went from confirming my purchase, then it glitched to they were sold out, so I'm honestly not sure if I got any this time   :-\
Just login and check your order history. Or check your email because they always send out order confirmations.

« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Not to be off topic, but may I ask what your store software is? I should start looking into the options I have eventually. :P

bigcartel.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:00:22 PM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Just login and check your order history. Or check your email because they always send out order confirmations.

That's the weird thing. I got no confirmation, but it said my purchase went through, then it glitched and said there were no more. So sadly I don't think I got any.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2012, 11:39:34 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
My 2 cents worth...

I honestly don't know what people are bitching about.  They printed these decks for Magic-Con 2012, and decided to sell some of the decks on their site the day the Con opened up.  With lots of notice and a release date/time.  Of course, these decks sold out.

This second sale was most likely to sell off the remaining decks that were not used at Magic-Con.  500 decks...
one more time...  FIVE HUNDRED decks.

Now, even though that sounds like a lot of decks, it really is tiny.  They have over 5000 twitter followers... not too bad.... BUT... they have 37,352 FB followers

THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND PEOPLE!

This deck was not meant to be a 5000, 10000, 15000, etc., deck sale on their site.

With 500 decks for the army of followers they have, no one should be surprised by how quickly these sold out.

ALSO, some of us (including me) are our own worst enemy!  I posted on my Bicycle Facebook profile about the sale, and I have over 500 followers.  And I know that other members on here posted about the sale on their sites as well.  Even Aether has over 800 members... only 500 decks guys.  Again.. how can you guys be surprised or upset??

If you're mad because you didn't get a deck during the second sale.. then you should have been on the ball during the first sale of these decks.  It's not like you didn't have notice.

And finally.. if you frequent this site (or UC) you should know in advance...  IF Dan&Dave, Ellusionist, Theory11, or The Blue Crown release a deck where they give a specific quantity available of 2000 decks or less.. IT'S GOING TO SELL OUT.  You know it, .. I know it.. We all know it.   Take upon yourself to learn the timezones, make sure you have the release info correct, and be ready to pounce!

That is all.

(steps down from his soapbox)

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:06 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
the only reason i said it was bs is becuase i had the decks in my cart. i well though the only reason im upset is because i actually wanted the deck,  but no big deal though.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
the only reason i said it was bs is becuase i had the decks in my cart. i well though the only reason im upset is because i actually wanted the deck,  but no big deal though.
I think your cart has to be checked out to be considered your's. Just like going to a supermarket. You got grocery with you but it's not yours until you get to the payment counter and pay for them. Same thing goes for the decks it's not yours until you checkout.

« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:36 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
ya i get that, but people also don't swoop in and jack the shit out of your cart lol like i said though, o well, there are more decks coming out that i want so its all good.

« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
ya i get that, but people also don't swoop in and jack the shit out of your cart lol like i said though, o well, there are more decks coming out that i want so its all good.
People will actually, it's just that there are plenty of supply in the grocery store.

« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2012, 03:06:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My opinion on all of this crap is summed up the most clearly and succinctly in this simple statement:

Way to look out for your fans... SMH...

I am a fan - more accurately, WAS a fan - of Dan and Dave at one time.  I've come to like certain aspects of their designs, and come to revile others.  This was a simple, elegant deck design, not perfect, but attractive enough.  I thought it would be nice to get a few, since I missed out on the first release.

Now, it's one thing to have busy servers, thousands of people lined up, long load times and all that jazz.  But I had very quick load times, there were no server hangups and I had the damn things in my cart.  If someone did this to me in a department store, just yanked items from my cart to buy them, they wouldn't make out to the parking lot unless it was in a stretcher.

It is ridiculous to build a business model like this.  This really needs to change.  I for one am making my own personal contribution to that change by never buying another Dan and Dave deck again.  I've worked out a trade to get the Mcv2 deck and that's my last one.  I'm tired of paying dealer mark-ups for a product like this, and the insane part is that they could make far more money while still making the product exclusive if they printed and sold just a bit more, enough to keep their customers happy.  You can talk "popularity through exclusivity" until you're blue in the face, but it's a bullshit argument if you don't know just how many decks were printed in the first place, something that the Buck Twins have only once revealed, and it wasn't for this deck.

Any sales model that includes yanking a product out of a customer's hands when they're heading to your checkout counter to buy it is fucked up, plain and simple, especially when the time window in which to complete the purchase is shorter than the world's record for the fastest mile on foot...

EDIT: since they've already said they don't read the forums, I went ahead and sent this exact message to them on their contact form so they know how I feel.  I'm also going to check out their Facebook page, perhaps make a contribution there as well - for however long they allow it to remain standing, that is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:29:13 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:57 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
I'm guessing magic con uncut sheet will be available since, alejandro posted on facebook via instagram of him signing a uncut.
@Don In desperate needs people will actually take things off your cart.

« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:17 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
CBJ... It's not hard to get that the people that make up these forums are the reason that the Buck twins have a playing card business in the first place... Bricks upon bricks of decks are purchased at a time by everyone here and many times by individuals that stockpile D&D... So when it comes time to pick up a deck that everyone would like to add to their collection, it becomes an impossibility?  I too experienced the frustration and let down when I instantly saw them become available clicked twice and was told they were sold out... My only thoughts are that someone bought the whole lot in one shot... I understand that it's easier for the twins to unload all the decks to one individual, but their fans, and the people who collect their decks and discuss their decks, and love their decks are completely shut out of the loop only to pay 3,4, sometimes 5 times what they're worth and why???  Egos? Lack of respect for their supporters?  I would like to think differently about them and have grown to in the recent past, but that video of them finding all those Jerry's Nuggets for nothing and discussing how they're going to just rip the hell out of all the collectors echoes in my mind and I sure hope they make good to their supporters... In this case, I'm going to try and remain optimistic hoping that they are not the sort of people that would do this to the community...

« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I'm guessing magic con uncut sheet will be available since, alejandro posted on facebook via instagram of him signing a uncut.

Try taking things off my cart in a supermarket, prepare to get bashed.

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

We're talking about playing cards, not food, water or medicine!  There is no such thing as being in a true state of desperation over a deck of cards!  (And it doesn't make the potential reaction any more or less pleasant!)

CBJ... It's not hard to get that the people that make up these forums are the reason that the Buck twins have a playing card business in the first place... Bricks upon bricks of decks are purchased at a time by everyone here and many times by individuals that stockpile D&D... So when it comes time to pick up a deck that everyone would like to add to their collection, it becomes an impossibility?  I too experienced the frustration and let down when I instantly saw them become available clicked twice and was told they were sold out... My only thoughts are that someone bought the whole lot in one shot... I understand that it's easier for the twins to unload all the decks to one individual, but their fans, and the people who collect their decks and discuss their decks, and love their decks are completely shut out of the loop only to pay 3,4, sometimes 5 times what they're worth and why???  Egos? Lack of respect for their supporters?  I would like to think differently about them and have grown to in the recent past, but that video of them finding all those Jerry's Nuggets for nothing and discussing how they're going to just rip the hell out of all the collectors echoes in my mind and I sure hope they make good to their supporters... In this case, I'm going to try and remain optimistic hoping that they are not the sort of people that would do this to the community...

It's too late, I think, JMRock - if they cared about the community, they'd have figured out a better way to do this by now.  They aren't idiots, just self-interested.  If they have a sudden change of heart, well, my business card now reads "consultant to the playing card industry!"

I did go over to FB - even caught their attention!  Let's see what comes of it, if anything.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:15:43 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran

We're talking about playing cards, not food, water or medicine!  There is no such thing as being in a true state of desperation over a deck of cards!  (And it doesn't make the potential reaction any more or less pleasant!)

It's too late, I think, JMRock - if they cared about the community, they'd have figured out a better way to do this by now.  They aren't idiots, just self-interested.  If they have a sudden change of heart, well, my business card now reads "consultant to the playing card industry!"

I did go over to FB - even caught their attention!  Let's see what comes of it, if anything.
Well, i'm just saying people will fight for things in desperate times. GET OVER IT WITH MAGIC CON!!!

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I was able to pick up 4 decks at the second release. So that proves that not all went to 1 buyer. And what is with these Internet Badasses talking about people trying take shit from their shopping cart getting business in some fashion? Are you serious? You're going to come onto a card forum and try to act hard? Get real guys.
You tried, you failed. Obviously it was possible, I did it. So...next time be better prepared than you thought you might have been, stop blaming the companies, and man the hell up. This is a hobby, not a means to provide for a family. You guys are taking this way to far.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »

eggman

• Elite Member
  Excellent point. We have come to expect certain releases from DandD to sell out quick. If we expect it, I am sure they know it. Why not put a cap on what one person can buy. Even if it is limited to a brick, the resellers could still make some money. I was able to get myself 5-6 decks this time but I can not help but notice in the aftermath of these types of releases there are usually a lot of pissed of DandD fans. It seems having upset a smaller # of resellers versus a majority of collectors like myself and jmrock makes more sense. Obviously, if this was a concern for DandD or if they feel it was effecting there business in a negative way, I am sure it would have been addressed. I guess they are content with the way things are.  It appeared to me the first Macic-conv2 sale lasted for about a half hour. I ordered my 5-6 decks without issue and went back after another ten minutes and they were still selling. I am going to look around here to see how the 2nd release went. I wonder how long it took for them to sell out. I am not giving up on DandD. I was even thinking of joining the deck of the month club. DandD reminds of those nice NYC restaurants that are always full and do not give a shit if you are able to get a table in your life time.

« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Again, we are thinking along the same lines, Egg. I enjoy the challenge. See, I had and have to work for things in my life, so I can appreciate the challenge that is D&D. Most that are pissed are kids that are pissed that they couldn't spend this weeks allowance.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
@sinsandman - you wouldn't react this way if you had failed at getting the decks.

The Bucks fulfilled many of our requests from the previous decks:
No major hype.
No "finding the deck" in their warhouses.
No exorbitant prices (although 7.50$ isn't cheap).

However they were also disrespectful to the community.
Just to sell out even faster and make themselves a reputation of making decks that sell out very quickly, they released the decks in two separate moments, with two very limited batches.
They made even more money by selling the Magic Con 2 deck and not letting only Magic Con participants have it.
They kept many details to themselves (amount printed etc.)

This was a shady business. I believe there is a possibility that the twins read this forum, so lets not be mad, lets let them improve some more.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:01:38 AM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I was able to pick up 4 decks at the second release. So that proves that not all went to 1 buyer. And what is with these Internet Badasses talking about people trying take shit from their shopping cart getting business in some fashion? Are you serious? You're going to come onto a card forum and try to act hard? Get real guys.
You tried, you failed. Obviously it was possible, I did it. So...next time be better prepared than you thought you might have been, stop blaming the companies, and man the hell up. This is a hobby, not a means to provide for a family. You guys are taking this way to far.

lol i was making a joke at first when i said that but people blew it up. though i do wish that all sites would use some sort of reservation method when a product is in your cart. i know of a few sites that do that. example: if you have something in your cart you have that item reserved for a set amount of time, usually just a few minutes.

« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I am really starting to enjoy this topic, there are just a few questions I have to those who disagree with everything the Bucks did with this deck release.

1. There is no point in saying they should change their business model, without offering up alternatives and what would be better in your opinion. There are plenty of things wrong in todays world, but when people criticize without some sort of constructive opinion, nothing really is accomplished except making one of the parties feel better because they got to express their emotions.

2. In my opinion, this deck release is very different than other releases, for the simple reason that the main reason for producing this deck is for the Magi-Con convention. USPC has a limited run correct? So what are the Bucks going to do with the extra decks that are not given out at the convention? Keep them and take an economic loss? or release a very limited amount so some of their fans can get them. If it was up to my, I cannot say that I would have chosen to keep an extra thousand or two decks laying around and forgo the profits from selling them.

3. Yes, I can sympathize with how annoying it is to have items in your online cart and it being sold out by the time your are ready to purchase, it sucks, but shit happens. Everyone is pointing out the fact that they had them in their cart and were still not able to buy them, to me there is no difference between that and if they had a system that would allow items in your cart to be on hold.... because, most likely, the same people who could not complete their purchase would not have been able to add the decks to their carts in the first place with the new system.

4. I think it's a bit silly to equate an online shopping cart with playing cards to food in the supermarket. I mean, these are two totally separate items, one is ~56 pieces of paper with ink, the other is a necessity to live, If someone stole a deck of cards out of my shopping cart if they were for sale at the supermarket, I would be mature enough to really not give a shit because I know there are more important things in life.

In short, IMO, the decks were printed for a convention, the bucks knew they would have a small batch extra, sold what they thought would be the extra amount, after the convention attendees received their decks, found out they had about ~500 left, sold those to their fans online as well.

From my view, D&D is not intentionally out there to piss people off, what they did with the sale of the Magi-Con v2's makes sense if you don't jump to conclusions about how they are out there to screw their fans and build a, quite honestly, dumb reputation of being the quickest sell out of decks. As I stated before, I am willing to bet the the first 500 or so decks from most high profile releases sell very quick as well and is just not noticed since there are more being sold. Go ahead and try to boycott their products, but from what it looks like to me, even if 50 people say they will never buy D&D products again ( which some of them would because boycotts never work properly ) I doubt that would make much of an impact in their bottom line, if any.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:40:47 PM by Curt »

« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
maybe companies like dnd should sell to wholesale people separately instead of with the general population. i also think the cart reservation idea would clear up a lot of unnecessary questions and complaints.

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
maybe companies like dnd should sell to wholesale people separately instead of with the general population. i also think the cart reservation idea would clear up a lot of unnecessary questions and complaints.

I agree that the cart idea would benefit some people, like those who are really busy and unable to process the transaction right away. But my only issue with that is, personally I do not see a difference whether I have an item in my cart and it is sold out before I purchase it, or I am unable to add an Item to my cart because others already have it in theirs. Both ways I am unable to purchase what I want, and to be honest, I think I would be more annoyed by knowing other people have the decks in their cart and have not purchased them even though I am ready and waiting to do so.

« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I dont mean for the items to be in your cart for long periods of time. Maybe for 10 minutes tops. really just enough time so you can enter in all of your information without having to worry about it selling out. 

I even copied and pasted my card number in the first minute of the second sale of the magic cons and it still wasn't fast enough.