You are Here:
Potter & Potter Auction

Author (Read 1861 times)

Potter & Potter Auction
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Potter & Potter's new Catalog "The Devil's Picturebook" is out.  There are over 875 lots in full color of Royal Bayreuth, Playing Cards, Gambling Items and all things related.  If you don't buy a thing it will still be a great reference source.

Re: Potter & Potter Auction
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Potter & Potter's new Catalog "The Devil's Picturebook" is out.  There are over 875 lots in full color of Royal Bayreuth, Playing Cards, Gambling Items and all things related.  If you don't buy a thing it will still be a great reference source.
There are already posts about the coming major playing card and related items auction at Potter Auctions in Chicago on May 31 & June 1. Hundreds of decks of cards, porcelain, advertising materials, gambling items, etc. Visit the website at  http://www.potterauctions.com/auctions/upcoming .  Larry Lubliner is helping out the auction house and has kindly organized a reception on the evening before the auction for all playing card enthusiasts. The following is an extract from an email Larry sent to some known attendees.
"There will be a gathering at Potter & Potter Auctions at 3759 N. Ravenswood #121 in Chicago on the Friday evening before the auction. You will be treated to wine and cheese as well as an opportunity to preview the auction and if you purchase one of my books "Playing Cards in Photographs" I will be delighted to sign it for you.  Hope some of you will be there.  If you are going to make it give me a call so we can better prepare.  Thanks!! Larry Lubliner - 773-883-0073."
This should be an auction well worth attending and a chance for some fun playing card discussion amongst attendees. Hope to see you there.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
"There will be a gathering at Potter & Potter Auctions at 3759 N. Ravenswood #121 in Chicago on the Friday evening before the auction. You will be treated to wine and cheese as well as an opportunity to preview the auction and if you purchase one of my books "Playing Cards in Photographs" I will be delighted to sign it for you.  Hope some of you will be there.  If you are going to make it give me a call so we can better prepare.  Thanks!! Larry Lubliner - 773-883-0073."

This should be an auction well worth attending and a chance for some fun playing card discussion amongst attendees. Hope to see you there.
I'd love to go - if I had the time, but unfortunately I'm working that weekend, as I do every Saturday, at least.  Tom, I assume from your wording that you are going?  I got the message, but didn't keep it because I knew I couldn't possibly attend.  I'd love to have the book (signed, of course - it's less expensive elsewhere, but obviously not going to have Larry's signature).  Can you get an extra copy?  I don't remember the list price, but I'm thinking it was around $30-$35?  Since you'll be in the US, you could ship it 'domestic' while you're still 'here'.  "How-to??"  By the way - for those of us in the computer age, the auction guide is available for download in PDF format.  I suppose that having the "real thing" in print might be worth $35, and I'm not cheap, but for those of us truly living in the digital age I don't understand why they would make it so expensive yet offer it for (free) download, also.  Odd...  The downloaded version has 100% of the formatting and color of the actual printed copy.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Mike;

The download goes away but the hard copy will be great reference down the road.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Mike - yes I'll be there - between Larry & me, we'll get you a signed copy.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Mike;

The download goes away but the hard copy will be great reference down the road.
Oh, glad to know it has an expiration date on it, I'll fix that right now.  ;)
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Well, we missed seeing most of you at the Potter & Potter reception and auction - as most of you weren't there physically. I suspect many were bidding by phone, internet or left advance bids. There is nothing like being there in person and being able to see a large room bursting with playing cards, ephemera, porcelain, gambling apparatus, etc. 845 lots and all beautifully displayed for all to see. Bidding was very strong in some categories and weaker in others. For playing card collectors it was a chance to scoop up a large number of bargains - many decks went for less than half their true value. On the other hand many went for very large numbers relative to the norm. All in all a great success and I'm very pleased I went [and with what I won!].
Tom Dawson

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Well, we missed seeing most of you at the Potter & Potter reception and auction - as most of you weren't there physically. I suspect many were bidding by phone, internet or left advance bids. There is nothing like being there in person and being able to see a large room bursting with playing cards, ephemera, porcelain, gambling apparatus, etc. 845 lots and all beautifully displayed for all to see. Bidding was very strong in some categories and weaker in others. For playing card collectors it was a chance to scoop up a large number of bargains - many decks went for less than half their true value. On the other hand many went for very large numbers relative to the norm. All in all a great success and I'm very pleased I went [and with what I won!].

I was able to bid from home, but was rather quickly outbid on all three lots I was interested in
(the two Hanzel decks [Green Club/Blue Spade] and the Einar Nerman deck).
Perhaps next time.

Any forum members willing to admit what they purchased?

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

I was able to bid from home, but was rather quickly outbid on all three lots I was interested in
(the two Hanzel decks [Green Club/Blue Spade] and the Einar Nerman deck).
Perhaps next time.

Any forum members willing to admit what they purchased?
I actually bought the Green Club and was outbid on the Blue Spade. I also got the Cotta transformation, the Mauger Euchre deck, a Hart deck and some ephemera including the four Congress posters. My favourite purchase was the set of four lithographed menus from France c1890's. They were designed by a well known artist of the time, Tamagna, and are quite spectacular.
Tom Dawson