You are Here:
Lee Asher's JN sale

Author (Read 2156 times)

Lee Asher's JN sale
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
These were gone in less than one second with only a few people throwing back the $400 tier a couple of time. I'm surprised there was no post on here about the sale, but astonished at how quickly they were gone. Did anyone pick one up this year?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Lee Asher's JN sale
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I couldn't get 1... they were gone way too fast and no way my computer can catch up with it.
Back for more

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah, everything happened way too fast...all I could get was the throwbacks at 400, which I just can't justify spending at the moment, especially with another JR project being released this weekend! ???

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
These were gone in less than one second with only a few people throwing back the $400 tier a couple of time. I'm surprised there was no post on here about the sale, but astonished at how quickly they were gone. Did anyone pick one up this year?

Lee advertised the sale here.  With the market being as diverse as it is these days, even J-Nuggs tend to generate less attention than they once did - though they still fetch a premium price.  Clearly they're still popular, if they were gone as quickly as they appear to have.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

Thanks for participating on Sunday. Sorry if you didn't get a chance to buy one of the decks. They went SUPER fast this year. And yes, it seems the demand still very much outweighs the supply.

As for starting a thread in here, my bad. I didn't have time to juggle everything. Maybe next time?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »

Paul Ruccio

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Completely slipped off my calendar to try and grab an early tier. Bummed.
Paul Ruccio
Jetsetter Playing Cards
www.jetsetterplayingcards.com
- - - - -
High-class products and playing cards for the aviation, travel, and playing card enthusiasts around the globe.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I didn't even make an attempt.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I didn't either actually. My connection speed is no where near what's needed to get in on them at something I can afford. I did a quick speed test earlier and just shook my head. I knew there was no way. Maybe next year.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I didn't either actually. My connection speed is no where near what's needed to get in on them at something I can afford. I did a quick speed test earlier and just shook my head. I knew there was no way. Maybe next year.

Speed tests alone aren't what will get people in there with the first clicks.  It's timing, and no speed test in the world can alter that.  I can run a 1,000-meter race with a bullet from a 9-millimeter pistol - typically, I'd be losing that race, but if I have enough time to get a 999.99-meter head-start, the bullet's gonna lose.  It might be moving at about 335 meters per second and the typical non-athlete might be able to run about 5 kilometers an hour (or 1.4 meters per second), but that still gives me nearly three seconds to travel a single centimeter and win.  With the right timing, a dial-up connection can beat a T1 line.

I used to hear jokes in the early days of computer telecommunications about something called the bandwidth of  "the sneakernet" - a kid carrying a backpack full of floppy disks down the street had a faster bandwidth than the fastest modems available at the time.  Change that to a messenger bag full of USB keychain drives, and he's probably faster than the best fiberoptic lines today.  And don't get me started on the bandwidth of a station wagon...  :))

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

I used to hear jokes in the early days of computer telecommunications about something called the bandwidth of  "the sneakernet" - a kid carrying a backpack full of floppy disks down the street had a faster bandwidth than the fastest modems available at the time.  Change that to a messenger bag full of USB keychain drives, and he's probably faster than the best fiberoptic lines today.  And don't get me started on the bandwidth of a station wagon...  :))

This is a fascinatinc "article" about matching the 'SneakerNet' with data transfer
https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This is a fascinating "article" about matching the 'SneakerNet' with data transfer
https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

That's hysterical - love it!

There is one edge that SneakerNet has over the Internet, and will continue to have for many decades yet - SneakerNet can deliver a hot pizza in as little as 30 minutes, whereas the Internet has yet to deliver any hot pizzas in the past 40+ years - just pictures of them!