You are Here:
How to publish your own custom deck: A complete guide

Author (Read 7549 times)

How to publish your own custom deck: A complete guide
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
There was a time where the only way you could successfully make a custom deck of playing cards was to use a major playing card manufacturer, and be a successful artist or designer fortunate enough to get a contract with a big publisher.  But times have changed, and current technology means that the resources to make your own deck of custom playing cards are well within reach of the average person.  If you are a hobbyist designer, you can easily turn your personal design into a printed product courtesy of technology and the internet. 

To begin with, powerful graphics programs are available for little or no cost, and you can use these to make original designs on your home computer.  There's a large number of manufacturers available online that will readily print your playing cards for you.  And if you really want to, you can even harness the power of crowdfunding to finance a larger print-run, and get your deck into the hands of other collectors. 

But what are the key elements that are part of this process?  I've written an article that gives a detailed overview of all the essential steps that are part of this process:
● Concept
● Artwork
● Funding
● Production
● Fulfillment

If you're interested in learning more, you'll find my complete article here:

How to Create Your Own Deck of Playing Cards: A Guide to Publishing Your Own Custom Deck
https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all-in/how-to-create-your-own-deck-of-playing-cards

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Re: How to publish your own custom deck: A complete guide
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »

CLCPC Studio 52

• True Member
Hi Endersgame,

This is a great Article!, very resourceful for those starting out..... reminds me of my journey into playing card design not so long ago, when I spent many long hours and late nights researching steps to take for creating my very first custom decks of playing cards...... you have all the information that took me so long to source out, all in one article! This will definately save a lot of time for people who are just starting out!

Great work and thanks for sharing!

I have always been happy to offer advice to those who are starting out in playing card design whenever they have asked me, and I will be sure to share this great article of yours with them!

Kindest regards,
Craig

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Thanks Craig, appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:45:26 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

Marvin347

Great Article! Thanks for putting the time and effort into putting this all together. I wish I would have seen this article before I ran my first Kickstarter as it would have saved me some time in my research. This is a great resource for those wanting to create their own deck.

Kelly
Red Fox Playing Cards

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
This is really a great article, it covered most of the experience I had launching my first deck on kickstarter.
Bicycle cards lover
Designing 3D modeled cards at Excelsior Playing Cards
https://www.instagram.com/excelsiorplayingcards/