You are Here:
Hello

Author (Read 406 times)

Hello
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Hello.

I've been a collector of things a long time and realized over time that my other favorite activities involve a certain feel and touch (basketball, guitar). So card collecting became a hobby. Most of my collection, though not very large (only been collecting a year), has been opened and at least demoed.

I love the simple pleasure of a nice, even, somewhat stiff dribble or a near perfect fan.  That's why I would say some of my favorite decks are Tally Hos. The fan backs in particular are beautiful enough to consistently catch your eye though cheap, sturdy and simple enough to use consistently without having to worry about wear and tear the way you would other expensive 7-10 dollar decks.

Its hard to narrow down my other favorite decks, so instead I'll do a surprisingly good/bad deck I've recently handled.

Surprisingly good - 90's - early 00's Budweiser advertising decks. I don't know if these decks share the same stock and finish of other smooth finish decks of the time period, but i have three different Bud light/Budweiser USPCC Ohio made decks and they handle really great. The stock is thin but sturdy and the smooth finish glides really well, making for great fans (especially since the back designs are colorful and borderless).

Surprisingly bad - "Carlton is lowest" Aviator Poker USPCC Ohio made cards. The edges are rough and after a few simple card flourishes the cards and deck began to warp and bend pretty badly. I've never handled a worse USA made deck.

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi Tombstone
Great to have you here. Welcome and enjoy. I can't comment on your card qualities as I can hardly deal, much less riff, fan, watrefalll or even shuffle well.
However I am going to learn. My practice decks will be Smith #2 from the Expert Card Co.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, welcome aboard!  Don't worry that you've only been collecting for a year, and please never hesitate to ask if you have a question.  We were all newbies once and we sympathize - plus you'll find people here are generally friendly and helpful.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/