Author (Read 6766 times)

VeneXiana Dark Edition (KS)
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:58:02 AM by Don Boyer »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: VeneXiana Dark Addition (8/15 on CL)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
"Re: VeneXiana Dark Addition (8/15 on CL)"

Rob - spelling, especially in titles, is everything!  :))

I'll fix that...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: VeneXiana Dark Addition (8/15 on CL)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
"Re: VeneXiana Dark Addition (8/15 on CL)"

Rob - spelling, especially in titles, is everything!  :))

I'll fix that...

Dooooooooooooon, I misspelled on purpose. I was trying to add up how much money is going to fly out of my pocket.............................................. ;)

give me a break. It was 1:00 in the morning. I was sleep typing.  :)
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

Re: VeneXiana Dark Edition (8/15 on CL)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:49:36 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Nice!
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So CL had a few major bugs on launch, and hat to shut the projects down. They are looking to try again at 12 noon EDT last I heard.

A few more pics

But the most important is that the two decks will have different faces as well. The Limited edition will feature the characters wearing a mask, while in the Original (unlimited) edition, the faces of the court cards will be revealed!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:05:27 PM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
So CL had a few major bugs on launch, and hat to shut the projects down. They are looking to try again at 12 noon EDT last I heard.

It will be at 6pm Eastern, per the email:
http://Staged Venexiana Dark at 6PM, rest at 9PM EDT

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
My pledge payment isn't  processing, and they show a pledge total of zero, so it appears that they are still having problems. I haven't seen an official e-mail yet.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Looks like a few folks are having success, but all that I get is a "frozen hash/liquid error" error message when selecting a reward. I may try again tomorrow.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Going to give it a week or two before I try again, unless I hear different from someone that it's actually functioning like it should. I want the decks very much, the hassle the site is bringing not so much.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Going to give it a week or two before I try again, unless I hear different from someone that it's actually functioning like it should. I want the decks very much, the hassle the site is bringing not so much.

Its new launch date is Aug 23rd 3pm EDT (although it states subject to change). It'll get done, I suppose it takes time. For the majority of us, we don't know how these things work. Sometimes we forget that and we lash out. To be fair to Mike and the team, they're working day & night trying to resolve it. Like that old saying, patience is a virtue :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Its new launch date is Aug 23rd 3pm EDT (although it states subject to change). It'll get done, I suppose it takes time. For the majority of us, we don't know how these things work. Sometimes we forget that and we lash out. To be fair to Mike and the team, they're working day & night trying to resolve it. Like that old saying, patience is a virtue :)

I'm sure the majority of us doesn't know how these things work, but to be fair to the rest, i really felt Mike and the team could have handled the situation much better. For the amount of bugs that came about, I'm not even sure if they actually tested the system before launching it. If Mike and his team is around here, i really hope no hard feelings, but as one of those few who anticipated the launch...and re-launch.. It was really quite disappointing. A lot of time was wasted while waiting for an official word or email, but none came till very late.

And while i do not know who is in this team or if any of the designers are in his team, for them to lash out at others seemed uncalled for, irregardless of how talented that designer may be.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 06:04:47 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

I'm sure the majority of us doesn't know how these things work, but to be fair to the rest, i really felt Mike and the team could have handled the situation much better. For the amount of bugs that came about, I'm not even sure if they actually tested the system before launching it. If Mike and his team is around here, i really hope no hard feelings, but as one of those few who anticipated the launch...and re-launch.. It was really quite disappointing. A lot of time was wasted while waiting for an official word or email, but none came till very late.

And while i do not know who is in this team or if any of the designers are in his team, for them to lash out at others seemed uncalled for, irregardless of how talented that designer may be.

I totally understand. Don't get me, I was very disappointed considering I was up til 5am waiting for th launch only for that to happen, n then the next up until 2am.

But anyway, hopefully everything is sorted by next week :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I sure hope this one isn't dead either.  I'm sure a relaunch will happen on CL or KS if needed, but I would really rather this just get funded.  Any other plans to market this one or get another bump in interest?

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 01:50:41 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I sure hope this one isn't dead either.  I'm sure a relaunch will happen on CL or KS if needed, but I would really rather this just get funded.  Any other plans to market this one or get another bump in interest?
I hate to say it, but I don't think it's going to make it. Looks like 3 out of the 4 are not, and the 1 that is, only had a $1,000 goal.

I think the site still needs some improvement. I'm confused about a few things

So all of the Venexiana Dark are LE's. Project page says unlimited are a stretch goal  ???

They say it's supposed to be true shipping rates. $11(lowered from $12) for US shipping on 6 decks. With discounts, I think a small Priority Mail box is $5.25 to ship. The box is free. I understand bubble wrap and stuff, but almost $6 for handling?

I just checked my pledge. My pledge amount was for 6 decks, but it said I was baking for a brick(probably because I had checked the brick price for shipping[$17]). I went in to modify my pledge, now one page says I'm in for 6, another page say I'm not backing at all. I have no idea if I'm even backing it now. I'm sending Mike a message to find out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:43:26 PM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I hate to say it, but I don't think it's going to make it. Looks like 3 out of the 4 are not, and the 1 that is, only had a $1,000 goal.

I think the site still needs some improvement. I'm confused about a few things

So all of the Venexiana Dark are LE's. Projec page says unlimited are a stretch goal  ???

They say it's supposed to be true shipping rates. $11(lowered from $12) for US shipping on 6 decks. With discounts, I think a small Priority Mail box is $5.25 to ship. The box is free. I understand bubble wrap and stuff, but almost $6 for handling?

I just checked my pledge. My pledge amount was for 6 decks, but it said I was baking for a brick(probably because I had checked the brick price for shipping[$17]). I went in to modify my pledge, now one page says I'm in for 6, another page say I'm not backing at all. I have no idea if I'm even backing it now. I'm sending Mike a message to find out.

I'm actually quite doubtful about the "true" shipping rates as well, but at the end of the day, i guess it really boils down to how they package it. I rather pay a slight bit more to receive my decks "unharmed". Although i have came across much cheaper shipping with good packaging as well, i would say the pricing is still considered reasonable.

I am also very doubtful the 3 decks are going to make it, and i honestly believe they would if they were in KS. While i believe a portion is because of all the mess created at the initial launch prompting quite a number to rather forgo these decks, I also believe there are many other factors contributing to its demise. CL really needed to be more patient about the launch. Sorting out all the initial bugs, making sure paypal works, better marketing and building a larger consumer base, better commuication/quicker "official" updates on problems with the public..etc. Now, i feel, the damage has been done.

Re: VeneXiana Dark Edition (CL)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The biggest problem is the number of eyeballs.  This site caters strictly to the card community, so only card collectors are looking at it.  Kickstarter caters to most of humanity, or at least the Internet-connected portion of it.  As a result, there's MANY more eyeballs looking at projects of all kinds.

The most successful crowdfunded decks didn't get that way because they sold only to collectors.  They got that way because all kinds of people from all walks of life got to see their project and it sparked enough interest in enough people to make them want to invest.

Serendipity plays a HUGE factor in any KS project's success - strangers stumbling on your project, thinking it's cool and deciding they want in on it.  Deckstarter and Cardlauncher both are missing that kind of serendipity.  That, plus the fact that they've had a LOT of problems when they launched, is why Cardlauncher is struggling right now.  They're also not bringing in the number of projects they want, I'm sure - they're running four projects right now that end within two weeks.  When they're done, all at the same time, the slate is EMPTY unless something new comes along and soon.  Of those four, the only one that's an unqualified success reached its goal only because the goal was so darn low, a mere thousand dollars.  They'll get printed, but the card quality will likely leave much to be desired, while the other three haven't quite crossed the half-way mark financially but are more than two-thirds into the time limit.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 04:41:55 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Online businesses live and die by SEO. A new market needs to be able to find a product to not only buy it but share it with their audience.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Cardlauncher is as it stands is an experiment, nothing more. It takes time to build into a brand. They jumped straight to trying to be bigger than they are. I think they should have launched some MPC projects, got those funded. Then launched a bicycle project or an EPCC/LPCC project that didn't need a full 15k(GW CPC sorts), got those funded making use of those sites own ability to market themselves. Then progressed from there insuring everything is smooth and getting more eyes on cardlauncher in the process, including raising funds for advertising the site itself. Possibly even funds to approach other sites to help push the cardlauncher brand in a more meaningful way.

VeneXiana Dark may fund. I hope it does, honestly. I love Lotrek's work. I'll buy it somewhere else though. I'm not going to participate in the experiment that is cardlauncher on it's first run, the initial bugs warned me off. I need to see that it functions as promised, that at the very least the payment methods work. Only way to see that is to wait until a project or two has run it's course and see what comments are made about the experience.

Don, you're 100% right. It looks like their stable is simply these four decks. After these end, nothing is there. It'll be dead in the water without decks to fund. Another mistake that they have with these four decks imho, they all end on the same day. That's a pretty bad idea in and of itself. Another example of how much thought has not gone into this. The hype was great though! :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:49:59 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: VeneXiana Dark Edition (Launching 10/5/14 on KS)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Bluto:
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

........The tough get goin'! Who's with me?
Let's go! 

Sparkz - Anthony Ingrassia shared Half Moon Playing Cards's photo.

September 29
Mark your calender

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
kickstarter is Kickstarter because of it's scope. I don't know that it's pitfalls will ever be enough to change the fact that it is the 800 pound gorilla in the room, as Don would say.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:46:05 AM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don's right on about KS folks stumbling on to decks and buying them. I have thousands of decks in my collection and you would be surprised as to how many folks that see some of what I have in my collection have absolutely no clue that anything beyond a Bicycle Rider Back deck from Walmart!

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:33:49 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Don's right on about KS folks stumbling on to decks and buying them. I have thousands of decks in my collection and you would be surprised as to how many folks that see some of what I have in my collection have absolutely no clue that anything beyond a Bicycle Rider Back deck from Walmart!

That is very true. Most people have no idea there are any other playing cards than what they see at the wally mart. That's actually the main reason I gift decks to people and am so liberal with giving a deck away when I see someone really likes it. I want to expand awareness. This holiday season I'll be adding a few people who don't expect a gift at all. The bank teller who does a great job, the new USPS carrier and the new UPS driver to name a few. It's a nice way of saying "Thanks, I really appreciate what you do". I don't know exactly what decks I'll be gifting them but they'll be very good decks. I tend to select the decks toward the end of november in case I need to pick a few more up. I always gift decks I like a lot, unless I know the person and know what their taste is. Then I try to make the gift suit them. The reaction of people over the past few years has been very good, so I'm not likely to stop this practice any time soon.

Naa, they won't be getting any of my few remaining Venexiana decks.  :P

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hearing that it's not dead is a good thing.

Yes, CardLauncher was a fine attempt at replacing something that was a little broken.  Unfortunately, the replacement appears to have been more broken than the original.  The lack of casual browsers killed it.

I hope he includes some of the original Venexiana decks - I missed out on getting them.