National Pastime: New King's Wild project

Author (Read 1403 times)

National Pastime: New King's Wild project
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
http://kings-wild-project.myshopify.com/blogs/currentproject/14296689-the-national-pastime-playing-card-deck-coming-to-kickstarter-in-july

I'm excited to announce my collaboration with The National Pastime Museum located in San Francisco, California. This series of three decks will focus on the players and stadiums of the historic Dead Ball Era of early American Baseball. The National Pastime project will launch on Kickstarter in early July so stay tuned. Keep checking the brand spankin' new Kings Wild Blog for more information about this and other upcoming projects.

This looks like it's going to be amazing! I'm not even a baseball fan, and I'm pumped!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: National Pastime: New King's Wild project
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:03:39 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Didn't we have a thread already?  Over at UC we have been discussing this one for over 3 weeks now

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Didn't we have a thread already?  Over at UC we have been discussing this one for over 3 weeks now

I'd swear there was, but I can't find it.  If you do, let me know and I'll merge them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen it here.  Either way this looks awesome.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It's clean. Safe color choice. This might be my favorite of the Jackson Robinson packaging.

It's going to be interesting to see how much Jackson actually knows about baseball by who he uses for the court cards. I always questioned his Federal 52 choices. The King should be someone who represents a King in his respective field or occupation. Sometimes there are clearly better choices.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:14:51 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It's clean. Safe color choice. This might be my favorite of the Jackson Robinson packaging.

It's going to be interesting to see how much Jackson actually knows about baseball by who he uses for the court cards. I always questioned his Federal 52 choices. The King should be someone who represents a King in his respective field or occupation. Sometimes there are clearly better choices.

As for fed King choices I set pretty clear boundaries to use only the most widely used and recognizable currency portraits. As most of them were Presidents I would categorize that as being the "king" in their field or profession. the Reserve Note courts were chosen based on my own personally attachment to the specific portrait.

As for the choices of the National Pastime Deck, it is focused specifically around the "Dead Ball" era and the court cards have already been chosen by the National Pastime Museum as they are who asked to collaborate with them in the first place and I am deferring to them for their knowledge and expertise for the players used.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

As for fed King choices I set pretty clear boundaries to use only the most widely used and recognizable currency portraits. As most of them were Presidents I would categorize that as being the "king" in their field or profession. the Reserve Note courts were chosen based on my own personally attachment to the specific portrait.

As for the choices of the National Pastime Deck, it is focused specifically around the "Dead Ball" era and the court cards have already been chosen by the National Pastime Museum as they are who asked to collaborate with them in the first place and I am deferring to them for their knowledge and expertise for the players used.

There are many presidents to pick from. I do believe it was the Reserve Note I was referring too. Thank you for clarifying.

I did not realize this was an official deck for The National Pastime Museum. How are the Queens going to work?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:08:22 AM by Card Player »