You are Here:
Dichotomy deck "the duality"

Author (Read 963 times)

Dichotomy deck "the duality"
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:49 AM »

Zlaker

• Newcomer
Hi guys, I'm working with a close friend designer to create a deck, the main theme we have chosen is dichotomy.

A dichotomy is any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts, meaning it is a procedure in which a whole is divided into two parts.

Examples are: good and evil, beautiful and ugly, peace and war, black or white, you get the idea.

We wanted to express that what is good to someone might seem evil to others, and that all good actions can have an underlying evil. Sort of like good can come from evil, and viceversa.

So we have created a couple of court cards that we believe do the trick.

Edit one: Modified post to accommodate some comments.
Edit two: Project partner requested me to take down the pics until we have something more concrete. Will upload them as soon as we have some final artwork done.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:24:41 PM by Zlaker »
Cheers
-Zlaker

Re: Dichotomy deck "the duality"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's an interesting concept, one that's not done often.  But if you want even a slim chance of be taken seriously, you have to ditch terms like "digitally painted in hyper reality."  It's adspeak for "we want to sound really cool right now but aren't quite sure of what to say", which gets translated by the readers to "they don't know what the hell they're talking about..."

It's digital art.  Simple, yes?  Keep it simple.  The words don't have to sound cool - that's the project's job.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the design work.  Welcome to the party!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:43:15 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »

Zlaker

• Newcomer
Thanks Don, will edit the post accordingly, to make it sound simpler :) we have all court cards done all in 2d sketches, I'll upload more samples as soon as they start taking on their final 3d colorful forms :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:51:15 AM by Zlaker »
Cheers
-Zlaker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The second image... an ode to Final Fantasy II?

Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:38 AM »

Zaid

• True Member
It's an interesting concept, one that's not done often.  But if you want even a slim chance of be taken seriously, you have to ditch terms like "digitally painted in hyper reality."  It's adspeak for "we want to sound really cool right now but aren't quite sure of what to say", which gets translated by the readers to "they don't know what the hell they're talking about..."

It's digital art.  Simple, yes?  Keep it simple.  The words don't have to sound cool - that's the project's job.

To be fair, "digital painting" is a specific form of digital art, as distinct from art created via 3D modeling and rendering, or art created via a vector art program like Adobe Illustrator. Digital painting refers to actually painting pixels and laying down color using a program like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Painter. Of all the ways to create digital art, this process most closely mimics painting with real-life media such as oils, watercolor or acrylics, and lends a characteristc hand-worked look to the images since the color and tones in the images are actually laid down by hand.

And just as with traditional painting, the painting can be done in a manner that is realistic or one that is stylized/abstracted. I didn't get the context of the original posting since it was edited by the time I got to it, but I read "digitally painted in hyper reality" as meaning the art pieces are rendered realistically using digital painting methods. So while it does sound like some buzzword gobbledygook, it's actually an accurate representation of how this particular art is being created.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I like hyperrealism. Usually, hyperrealism painters are fond of painting ordinary stuff like faces, leaves, cola cans, that sort of stuff. Often with water. It will be interesting to see your work when it is done.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

To be fair, "digital painting" is a specific form of digital art, as distinct from art created via 3D modeling and rendering, or art created via a vector art program like Adobe Illustrator. Digital painting refers to actually painting pixels and laying down color using a program like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Painter. Of all the ways to create digital art, this process most closely mimics painting with real-life media such as oils, watercolor or acrylics, and lends a characteristc hand-worked look to the images since the color and tones in the images are actually laid down by hand.

And just as with traditional painting, the painting can be done in a manner that is realistic or one that is stylized/abstracted. I didn't get the context of the original posting since it was edited by the time I got to it, but I read "digitally painted in hyper reality" as meaning the art pieces are rendered realistically using digital painting methods. So while it does sound like some buzzword gobbledygook, it's actually an accurate representation of how this particular art is being created.

I see "hyper reality", I start thinking science fiction.  Remember, he's selling this mostly to laymen, not professional graphic artists.

It could as easily be described as "digitally painted in a very realistic style" or "true-to-life style" without sounding like adspeak.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/