You are Here:
Founders Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 12702 times)

Re: Founders Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

Samurai007

This deck is almost fully funded in only 4 days, $12,000+! That seems to indicate that the price really isn't a barrier for most people.
If you think of it as $10 for the deck and $3 for shipping, it's no different than any other deck.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This deck is almost fully funded in only 4 days, $12,000+! That seems to indicate that the price really isn't a barrier for most people.
If you think of it as $10 for the deck and $3 for shipping, it's no different than any other deck.

But many KS decks are $10 INCLUDING the shipping...  And decks bought elsewhere tend to run in about the same ballpark when shipping's included.  This is still a bit on the high side for a deck, but apparently the design's struck a chord on Kickstarter.  The right concept can take off like a skyrocket.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I think they look incredible.  You can tell from every little detail that they were created by an artist (or artists)...and not a pile of stock graphics. 

I think this will do very well....judging by the computer generated images to the campaign video....these folks have their Sh*t together. 

Great find.

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

Zaid

• True Member

But many KS decks are $10 INCLUDING the shipping...  And decks bought elsewhere tend to run in about the same ballpark when shipping's included.  This is still a bit on the high side for a deck, but apparently the design's struck a chord on Kickstarter.  The right concept can take off like a skyrocket.

Indeed. They're at $14,715 as of now, i.e. fully funded. Could this be the next Pedale Design deck?

And for comparison, my SurrealScapes deck has a bunch of early bird slots at $8 and $9 per deck, INCLUDING shipping, and I'm not getting anywhere near the amount of backers per day as the Founders deck is getting, and those early bird slots are not sold out. It all comes down to the content. Content is king.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
You're right. But not only content.
Note that, for example, you don't have T-shirt, coins, and Founder do have all of that, and have many backers in the pledges where there are T-shirts and coins. Those extras must be of some help to have more pledging.

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

Zaid

• True Member
I would like to think that the reason my campaign isn't as successful as the Founders deck is because of the lack of extras like T-shirts and coins, but the data just doesn't support that. For Founders deck, there are 451 backers right now, but only 60 of them have pledged for anything that includes a T-shirt or a coin. That's only 13% of the total number of backers who wanted something extra. The remaining 87% of the backers are pledging for only card decks or card decks plus uncut sheets. That tells me that even if I added a shirt or a coin or poker chips or dice or whatever, I wouldn't see an increase in the number of backers of more than 10%-20%.

No, it all comes down to content and design. The content and design of the Founders deck has resonated with a large number of people, unlike the content of my deck, which is much more niche-focused. Hell, even I myself am thinking about pledging for a Founder's deck!

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
ok, so how does Kickstarter work when they get MORE money than they need? If someone pledged NOW even though they reached their goal, do they still get a deck?
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »

Zaid

• True Member
ok, so how does Kickstarter work when they get MORE money than they need? If someone pledged NOW even though they reached their goal, do they still get a deck?
Yes, everyone who pledges gets the reward associated with that pledge, regardless of how much above the goal the funding has reached. With Kickstarter projects that are actual tangible products, like playing cards, more funding and pledges just means more people who are getting the product being produced. At the rate the Founders deck is going, it will probably reach $80,000 in total funding by the time it's all said and done, with probably 1500-2000 backers. That's my prediction anyway. ;-)

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I agree with Zaid

"Indeed. They're at $14,715 as of now, i.e. fully funded. Could this be the next Pedale Design deck?

And for comparison, my SurrealScapes deck has a bunch of early bird slots at $8 and $9 per deck, INCLUDING shipping, and I'm not getting anywhere near the amount of backers per day as the Founders deck is getting, and those early bird slots are not sold out. It all comes down to the content. Content is king"

content is king. the cards sell themselves. you must keep "fluff" items at a minimum i.e. T-shirts, coins, poker chips ect.  texasplayingcards.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:28:23 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You're right. But not only content.
Note that, for example, you don't have T-shirt, coins, and Founder do have all of that, and have many backers in the pledges where there are T-shirts and coins. Those extras must be of some help to have more pledging.

Zaid's right - just how many poker chips, dice, t-shirts, posters, etc. does a person want or even have room for?  I think many KS projects have gone a bit overboard in that department - it's like they're creating a brand rather than simply a deck.  It makes the project look a lot like a flea market and a lot less like a serious deck.  Unless you're offering something exceptional, like some of the items that were offered with the Bohemia deck (handmade wooden stands, boxes, etc.) I feel a deck project is better off without all the tchotchkes.  Pick one or two extra items and leave it at that.

I don't think this will get as strong as Pedale, but I do think it'll have a strong finish - perhaps top-five.

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:48 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Wowowow I love it. Superbly fantastic design! Yes, yes it superbly fantastic. Love the t shirt too!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
My point there. If something gets your atention besides the deck, that means more pledges and higher pledge amounts, even if is only by 10 to 20%.
Just check that the 100 pledges have more people pledging only 5 decks with extras instead of 10 decks with no extras.
Or even see the 150 vs 200 pledge with more people in the 200 despite the fact that they have the same number of decks.
And also the quality and usability of the extras is a factor. T-shirt, boxes, other wooden souvenirs. This way the whole project gets more atention and then pledges.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My point there. If something gets your atention besides the deck, that means more pledges and higher pledge amounts, even if is only by 10 to 20%.
Just check that the 100 pledges have more people pledging only 5 decks with extras instead of 10 decks with no extras.
Or even see the 150 vs 200 pledge with more people in the 200 despite the fact that they have the same number of decks.
And also the quality and usability of the extras is a factor. T-shirt, boxes, other wooden souvenirs. This way the whole project gets more atention and then pledges.

In order to have a zillion additional rewards, you also have to account for the cost of those rewards.  It might give you 10% more pledges, but it might cost you nearly that much in terms of what these doodads cost to make, and it makes reward tracking a lot more complex.  Why do you think Albino Dragon practically eliminated add-ons for their second deck compared to their first?

"Wooden souvenirs?"  Is this a deck of cards or a seaside resort town?

A few add-on items/rewards are fine.  But turning your project into a flea market dilutes the intent of the project's goal - to make a customized deck of cards.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it until I feel otherwise.

Also, please remember that the 13% quoted by Zaid wasn't the total additional funds these people brought to the project.  It was the percentage of people who pledged for something in addition to playing cards and/or uncut sheets.  The actual added dollars are probably much less since some portion of each of the pledges in that 13% consists of playing cards/uncut sheets.

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
In this Founders project and in many others on kickstarter, is easily seen many pledging for pledges that have more than just decks.
Founders is one example of that.
Just check the $33 and $55 pledges. Despite being $20 more expensive, many people opted for spending more and get the t-shirt.
Or note that the $100 pledges have more people pledging only 5 decks with extras instead of 10 decks with no extras.
And look at the $150 vs $200 pledges, with more people in the $200 despite the fact that they have the same number of decks.
One can see that extras like t-shirts, coins, prints, can help in raising more interest and pledges.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:33:17 PM by Pacis »

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In this Founders project and in many others on kickstarter, is easily seen many pledging for pledges that have more than just decks.
Founders is one example of that.
Just check the $33 and $55 pledges. Despite being $20 more expensive, many people opted for spending more and get the t-shirt.
Or note that the $100 pledges have more people pledging only 5 decks with extras instead of 10 decks with no extras.
And look at the $150 vs $200 pledges, with more people in the $200 despite the fact that they have the same number of decks.
One can see that extras like t-shirts, coins, prints, can help in raising more interest and pledges.

Well, in my opinion, the cost/benefit analysis doesn't always add up, and tossing in too many extras does make a deck project look like a bazaar.  All those extras mean extra things that need to be purchased, made, tracked, etc., when you could simply offer a lower goal and get the project made and out the door.

Not to mention that when I go deck-shopping, the last thing that comes to mind would be "gee, I'd really love dice/t-shirts/coasters/keychains/pendants/floaties/a coffeemaker/jigsaw puzzles/spark plugs/hairspray/etc. that match this deck..."  :))

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
Me too :) I think exactly the same.
But, those mentioned facts and smiliar ones, show that extras can call more pledgers atention and that there are many who love to get more than just the decks and thus pay more.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:08:15 PM by Pacis »

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
don - just call all theses extra add ons "fluff" items.  if your thinking about it, why would anyone want poker chips.  that's a lot of weight.  i'm going to try to minimized fluff items.  i did find recently a great chicken menu that i'm going to use for the kickstarter.  it's so simple.

yes i'm from texas and the third item is tortillas.   

texasplayingcards.com
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:05:58 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Me too :) I think exactly the same.
But, those mentioned facts and smiliar ones, show that extras can call more pledgers atention and that there are many who love to get more than just the decks and thus pay more.

True, they're paying more.  But it's also true that it's costing the project creator more, in funds as well as man-hours spent managing an increasingly complicated inventory with every item you add.  Kickstarter has no built-in mechanism for managing add-ons - if it's your project, you have to figure it out for yourself.  All they provide is what tier was pledged for and how much was pledged.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
Yes, definitely!
But those extras can just attract more people and raise pledge amoonts. I've seeing comments on many projects that I've backed, even one in Founders, where people who would like to have T-shirts or other extra(s), want to pledge and have to pledge more in order to get what they want (think of a pledge which has t-shirt only at a 50 level with more decks - if the t-shirt was added at a $25 pledge or as an add-on, people would go for a cheaper pledge). Extras like t-shirts, dice, coins, can also be very helpfull in funding a project).

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Argh! I like the court cards and the back design but I'm still half half over the price tag that comes with it :/

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I just stumbled upon this kickstarter and was kicking myself for missing the funding period as the back design is literally one of my favourite. However when i stopped drooling and looked at the comments, it seems that this whole project was yet another scam? The amount of effort put into these playing cards is incredible; which makes me doubt that it's a scam. However, the comments shown in the project links below states otherwise. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodsr/founders-playing-cards/comments
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodsr/founders-playing-cards/posts/545127#comments

PS: Sorry for reviving an old thread, though the comments of scam suspicion are actually very recent and is probably worth investigating as i'm sure that a few fellow Discoursers had pledged to this amazing deck.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:04:49 AM by Froggo »
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I just stumbled upon this kickstarter and was kicking myself for missing the funding period as the back design is literally one of my favourite. However when i stopped drooling and looked at the comments, it seems that this whole project was yet another scam? The amount of effort put into these playing cards is incredible; which makes me doubt that it's a scam. However, the comments shown in the project links below states otherwise. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodsr/founders-playing-cards/comments
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodsr/founders-playing-cards/posts/545127#comments

PS: Sorry for reviving an old thread, though the comments of scam suspicion are actually very recent and is probably worth investigating as i'm sure that a few fellow Discoursers had pledged to this amazing deck.

As a backer, I'm absolutely furious with this whole fiasco. The most recent update after months of silence was so ridiculous and cryptic that it was insulting.

Its projects like these that severely shake my faith in Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:22:25 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Definitely understandable. In a sense, if these turn out to be a scam, it would be more frustrating than if it was and obvious scam right from the start; as you can see how well designed the deck actually is. Honestly i hope that there was just some complication with the manufacturing and that they will actually be produced as i selfishly want a few decks for myself. Absolutely stunning design. Fingers crossed.

Also, with regards to the useless update. Why would the creator even post anything if he intends to just disappear with the money? It has to be of some purpose right..? Even though i agree that if i were a backer id also be incredibly pissed with the whole thing, my hope would increase slightly after that insulting, but nonetheless apparant update. Unless the creator is an absolute doche and just wants to create further suspense and laugh at his backers raging at his ingenious scam.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
According to the USPCC they have not yet been printed.  That is all I was told and all that I know. 

So much for that July delivery.  Poor project management from the creator...especially when the artwork was apparently complete at the launch...and it was well over funded back in March. 

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I did a who is look up on his domain name and found the following info:

+1.3123122012 phone number

1231 10th street Washington, D.C.

Not sure how legit it is though.