You are Here:
Subtle differences in numerical cards that most people are not aware of.

Author (Read 4376 times)

54kPlaya

• Newcomer
  • 54KPlaya the Hatian Man aka Red Riding Hood.

• DeviantArt:
Contrary to the popular belief most numerical playing cards are different depending on wich direction they are pointing, with the exeption of the diamonds due to the nature of the shape of the diamonds, but even there it's possible to locate the direction that the 7 of diamond is pointing by locating what I call the 5 rows versus the 4 rows. As for the other numerical suits it's possible to identify wich side the card is by looking at the suit in the middle row, however their is 3 exeptions, the 2's, 4 and 10's, them, unless they are marked it's impossible to tell if the card is in the "right" position or "upside down".
My rep is so cool that it has to be under 0, now think about that!

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Contrary to the popular belief most numerical playing cards are different depending on wich direction they are pointing, with the exeption of the diamonds due to the nature of the shape of the diamonds, but even there it's possible to locate the direction that the 7 of diamond is pointing by locating what I call the 5 rows versus the 4 rows. As for the other numerical suits it's possible to identify wich side the card is by looking at the suit in the middle row, however their is 3 exeptions, the 2's, 4 and 10's, them, unless they are marked it's impossible to tell if the card is in the "right" position or "upside down".

Actually, look at the backs.  Not all, but many playing card manufacturers have limitations on how well they manage print registration. between fronts and backs as well as the die cutting process.  The end result of this is that many decks with a bordered design don't have a completely uniform width in the border all around - typically there's a slightly wider edge and an opposite, slightly narrower edge.  Even worse, you occasionally even see cards that are slightly askew - that's a real feat, considering how the die cutter works, but some makers do manage to pull it off, accidentally rather than intentionally.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

54kPlaya

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:
Actually, look at the backs.  Not all, but many playing card manufacturers have limitations on how well they manage print registration. between fronts and backs as well as the die cutting process.  The end result of this is that many decks with a bordered design don't have a completely uniform width in the border all around - typically there's a slightly wider edge and an opposite, slightly narrower edge.  Even worse, you occasionally even see cards that are slightly askew - that's a real feat, considering how the die cutter works, but some makers do manage to pull it off, accidentally rather than intentionally.

And this is gold for those who use edge sorting in their line of work, 100% legal by the way.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:14:35 PM by 54kPlaya »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Contrary to the popular belief most numerical playing cards are different depending on wich direction they are pointing

What is your basis for saying that it is "popular belief" that all number cards are symmetrical?

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 07:08:42 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

54kPlaya

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:
Contrary to the popular belief most numerical playing cards are different depending on wich direction they are pointing

What is your basis for saying that it is "popular belief" that all number cards are symmetrical?

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that.

I never met anyone who could tell the difference at leadt until today, that's enough for me.