You are Here:
Is this effect too long?

Author (Read 555 times)

Is this effect too long?
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So first off, feel free to share this with anyone you know who has gone to a magic or mentalist show and let me know what they think.

10 different people  pick a card that had a random thing on it, draw it and the take the drawing and put it in an envelope. Then they all get mixed up and then I go through the envelopes one by one and use different methods to match them to the artist, ie the persons aura was strong and this is what I am getting from the envelope, I look at a couple of them and some of them are able to send the thoughts of what they drew, the last person I get a strong image from and draw a similar pic of my own.

I am wondering if this would get boring after we match a few of them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:11:53 AM by Don Boyer »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Is this effect to long?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So first off, feel free to share this with anyone you know who has gone to a magic or mentalist show and let me know what they think.

10 different people  pick a card that had a random thing on it, draw it and the take the drawing and put it in an envelope. Then they all get mixed up and then I go through the envelopes one by one and use different methods to match them to the artist, ie the persons aura was strong and this is what I am getting from the envelope, I look at a couple of them and some of them are able to send the thoughts of what they drew, the last person I get a strong image from and draw a similar pic of my own.

I am wondering if this would get boring after we match a few of them.

For an effect of that length and size, you'd have to do one of two things:
1) keep them entertained with a fair amount of comedic patter, or
2) match the cards at a very fast rate of speed, using a very energetic patter.
Preferably, you'd do BOTH!

If you can't do either of these, shorten the number of volunteers to perhaps five.  I've seen similar versions of this act where the magician chose only four or five volunteers.  It's more challenging to do more and the odds (in a fair match) would seem lower, but spend too much time on one thing and you'll lose the audience's attention.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:31:17 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:32 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Its 100% fail safe. I could use a 100 people and be fine. I am hoping to spend around 10 minutes total for the effect. So I think I will try for 5. I mainly just need to work on some routing and then do a run through. the 10 minutes will include the transition from the 1st effect to this one, getting audience etc. as well as the actual trick part.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:44:20 AM by John B. »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Its 100% fail safe. I could use a 100 people and be fine. I am hoping to spend around 10 minutes total for the effect. So I think I will try for 5. I mainly just need to work on some routing and then do a run through. the 10 minutes will include the transition from the 1st effect to this one, getting audience etc. as well as the actual trick part.

Time the trick when you practice it for the first time.  It will probably run a bit longer than ten minutes, though not much longer.  Also bear in mind that you're introducing an utterly random factor to your stage - five complete and total strangers, any of whom could be a bit dim-witted, a bit drunk, a heckler-in-waiting, take forever to make a drawing, scared to immobility in front of an audience, etc., and you can't toss the fish back once you've reeled it in without looking a bit silly.  Have your "staff" (or you, if there is no assistants) do a little pre-screening as people enter the venue so you can at least attempt to minimize the level of "personality randomness" you'll have to deal with in your performance.

I recall seeing a performer doing this who had the volunteers drawing with their backs to the audience onto easel-mounted pads.  This probably kept them more focused on the task at hand and less concerned about who's watching them, because out of sight does quickly become out of mind.  He had himself blindfolded in a very secure fashion while they made their artworks - or he was off-stage, I can't remember!  An alternate way to do this would be to step in front of the stage at audience level, facing them the whole time and having no opportunity to see the drawings too soon without getting caught.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:21 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Its an evening show, right now that I am planning on doing this as a part of. And I have heard advice as far as picking spectators. Even if something did go wrong, a miss or 2 is not bad since I am doing a mentalism show.