You are Here:
Your best birthday

Author (Read 547 times)

Your best birthday
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:33:57 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I just turned 21. and I had one hell of a birthday, but I dont want to be the guy just posting to do a look what I got and how awesome my birthday was, so I figured I would open this up to everyone. I was able to go see a friend of mine and visit a legit soda store (so many choices it was unreal) and got a new laptop. Also got to go have a few drinks with a friend of mine.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Your best birthday
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:56 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Happy Birthday John. Glad you had a good day. 21 is a big one. Sounds like you had a great time, and did so responsibly.

I would say one of my favorite birthdays was 40. My girlfriend got all of our friends together at a Japanese steak house. Had a few drinks. Ate some sushi. Had a  entertaining meal, and great conversation with some of the best people I know. True friends.
All of the Old Fart/ Over the Hill gifts were a gas as well.   
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Congrats, John - looking forward to hearing the legend of your day of legality sometime soon!

I've had a few really good birthdays.

One summer, I was probably around five or six, my older brother and I had made a lot of friends near my mom's new home.  Suddenly, around mid-August or so, they started running off without me, leaving me behind.  I wasn't happy about it at all.  But on my birthday, I finally realized why - they were making me a push-type go-cart!  I was pretty excited to see it, and to know that's why they were ditching me.

My eleventh birthday was my first after having seen Star Wars and I was spending the weekend with Mom again.  She took me to a nearby shopping center, we ate out and she let me pick and choose the gifts I wanted - in the end, I got an armful of Star Wars action figures and a green, zippered, hooded sweatshirt (this was LONG before they were called "hoodies").  I loved the action figures and I wore that sweatshirt everywhere, probably to the point that it became threadbare.  I picked up a new one, very much like the original, about a year or two ago and I like that one just as much.

My twenty-third birthday had the makings of being a big bust.  I was living near Fort Lauderdale, Florida and I'd invited a lot of people to my new apartment I was sharing with two other people - both of my roomies were out for the day.  I made a lot of chili, a few pounds of the stuff.  But after several hours, no one had arrived.  Finally I got a call from a friend I met through the radio station where I was volunteering and had learned to become a deejay, including getting an FCC license I still have today - I can operate an AM- or FM-band transmitter up to 100,000 watts.  She was crying and upset - her boyfriend of several months had broken up with her.  I invited her to my place so we could go out and do something together.

I took her in my borrowed car to a local pool hall - and got a ticket!  My stepfather was doing some work on my car as a birthday gift and I was using his.  I didn't realize why he kept the high-beam headlights on all the time until I was pulled over.  I'd turned on the low-beams and one of them wasn't working - equipment violation!  But I didn't let it ruin the night.

We hung out at the pool hall drinking beers and having fun - it cheered us both up.  We followed that up with a trip to another bar, this one a British-style pub with several dart boards, and played a few rounds with a few pints.  I was still considered legal - the blood-alcohol content limit was higher back then - by the time we were heading back, in part because I eased off the beers.  My friend, however, wasn't as lucky - she drank into a light stupor and vomited in the parking lot of my apartment complex when we returned to my place.  This was followed by a fantastic make-out session - I was on a dry spell, not having had a date in too many months.  She crashed on the couch and I crashed in my room, feeling a lot better about the world.

It all got crushed the next day when she reconciled with her boyfriend, but it was good while it lasted.  :))

Then there's the most recent good birthday.  My forty-fifth birthday in 2012.  After having known my "new" girlfriend for over a year and moving in together, we got married on that day during a trip to Florida.  The ceremony was presided over by my childhood friend's stepdad, someone I've known for many years.  (It's easy to perform marriages in Florida, you only need to be a notary public!)  We had the wedding at his place he shared with my friend's mom - her, I've known since age 10!  The trip itself was a bit of a challenge - it started with me having a miserable head cold and was followed shortly after the wedding by a category-1 hurricane!  But I've never been happier in my whole life since childhood.  By the way, if you ever want to clear a waiting room in a semi-tropical environment, start violently sneezing and looking miserable!  Most of them couldn't tell a cold from the Hanta virus!

The ironic thing is that it wasn't just my birthday and our wedding day - it was also my wife's anniversary to her first husband!  We decided to do it so she'd have better memories of that date in the future, remembering our time together instead of theirs.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
haha, sounds like you have had some awesome birthdays don, and yes rob I did celebrate responsibly, though not entirely by choice. lol

Now that I legally can, I am going to be buying some wine. A friend of mine really likes moscato so I am going to be getting her some of that so I can gift it later. and the conjurer - http://www.marketviewliquor.com/product/sleight-of-hand-the-conjurer-red-blend-wine-750ml.html
since I am a big fan of NPH
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.