You are Here:
Tofu

Author (Read 1181 times)

Tofu
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Any one here use tofu? any good recipes that are not for Asian food? I am making my gf tofu tacos on our next date but incase I need to make another dish later on in our relationship...
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: Tofu
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Any one here use tofu? any good recipes that are not for Asian food? I am making my gf tofu tacos on our next date but incase I need to make another dish later on in our relationship...

I have a really good chili recipe that uses a tofu-based vegetarian product called "Smart Ground" that you can use as a ground beef substitute.

When it comes to cooking in general, I'm no chef, but I'm not averse to experimenting and I recognize the value of a good selection of spices.  The right spice can make a nearly-flavorless meal into something that tastes like it's from the kitchen of a fine restaurant.

---------------------------

Don's Chili

Two cans crushed tomato
Two cans red kidney beans, strained
Two pounds of "ground meat" - beef, turkey, "Smart Ground", etc.; chef's choice
Chili pepper powder(s) of choice - I often use a red chili powder with some cayenne pepper powder (DON'T use blends if you can avoid it).
One medium bottle Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (or equivalent, chef's choice)
One medium bottle A-1 Steak Sauce (ditto)
Adobo seasoning (or garlic powder, if not available) - use MSG-free versions only
General Tsang's Mongolian Fire Oil or Ginger Garlic Oil (or both)
Liquid Smoke, either hickory or mesquite (use in SMALL DOSES or it will overpower the other spices)
Wasabi powder
Oregano flakes
...and any assorted seasonings the chef's in the mood for, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, Emeril's Essence, etc.  Salt as a stand-alone ingredient is not recommended; it can be added later to the servings in accordance with diner's tastes.

Brown the "ground meat" in a frying pan.  Drain any oil/grease from pan, dump meat into a large pot.  Add tomatoes, beans, whole bottle L&P,  whole bottle A-1, several dashes of the rest of the seasonings (except the oregano) as desired.  Cook on a medium low flame for three hours, stirring occasionally, for a rich but mild spicy flavor - you can cook it longer, but bear in mind the continued reduction of moisture will make the chili stronger with each added hour; cooking for longer than six hours is NOT recommended.  Remove from heat, let cool, store in refrigerator overnight, reheat on stove top at medium low flame, stirring occasionally.

If you should find the spices are too strong to taste, add dashes of oregano while reheating, mixing it in thoroughly, to help cut down the "heat" and make the chili milder.  You may also add tap water if too much moisture was lost by reduction/evaporation - start with a small amount (perhaps an ounce or two), add more as needed.

You can serve this the same day it's made and it will be fine, but for the best flavor, refrigeration (or freezing) and reheating within a day or two is recommended.

-------------------------------

Feel free to give that a try.  The recipe affords a lot of room for experimentation, so it rarely comes out the same way twice, but there's a certain general consistency thanks to the dominant flavors.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:17:39 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:56:17 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Because it doesn't have a particularly strong flavour you can put it in most things for some protein. There's a lot of different types out there is there one in particular you prefer?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Don, sounds nice I might have to try it. Though 3 hours is a long make time.

Because it doesn't have a particularly strong flavour you can put it in most things for some protein. There's a lot of different types out there is there one in particular you prefer?
I personally dont generally eat tofu, but since she is a vegetarian I told her I would try it. And I figured if this goes well I might want to do it again. and since she does not eat meat I would have to have tofu recipes.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
It's tough cause you've said no Asian recipes and I predominantly put it in Asian style dishes. You can try cutting it into chunks and putting it in a simple putanesca for texture.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea I always see it in some kind of asian food, but she does not like asian (I know whats wrong with her?!?) and so I am trying to find other styles that might appeal to her. Plus I figure if I do find some awesome ways to make it I wont mind having to eat it with her more often. Technically I could just eat meat, but then its no longer sharing a meal, and is 2 different meals.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, sounds nice I might have to try it. Though 3 hours is a long make time.

It's easier than you think.  At the right heat level, it needs only to be stirred about every 20 minutes.  I did forget to mention something in the recipe: when cooking, you start by bringing it to a boil, then simply let it simmer for the remainder of the three hours.  You can watch TV or practice cardistry, even go walk a dog in the amount of time between stirrings.  Lift the lid, move it around for 15 or 20 seconds, then you have the next 20 minutes to yourself.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea so then I either have to make it in advance or plan a date around that. But it does sound good and I might try it (maybe without the tofu if its not for a date) and it seems like a good chili recipe.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
Whatever you do - just marinate the heck out of it in something tasty.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Whatever you do - just marinate the heck out of it in something tasty.

lol thats my plan.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea so then I either have to make it in advance or plan a date around that. But it does sound good and I might try it (maybe without the tofu if its not for a date) and it seems like a good chili recipe.

Making it the day before is actually the best game plan.  It's far more tasty when reheated rather than when freshly cooked.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Incase anyone was wondering, tofu is not my favorite thing to eat but I have had worse.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 03:32:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Incase anyone was wondering, tofu is not my favorite thing to eat but I have had worse.

We kinda got that idea already, though how can you say "I have had worse," and not come out with what, specifically, was worse...

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I dont have specifics, I just know I could eat this, and I have tried other food that I could not before in the past