You are Here:
WW1 victory decks

Author (Read 2626 times)

WW1 victory decks
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I really like the designs on these decks, but I have never seen them for sale. Just wondering if anyone has seen them up close/owns them and if you have seen them for sale around how much. I might make a sales thread soon looking to buy.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: WW1 victory decks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
John B… Pics?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So I really like the designs on these decks, but I have never seen them for sale. Just wondering if anyone has seen them up close/owns them and if you have seen them for sale around how much. I might make a sales thread soon looking to buy.

You are aware that a complete set in great shape would likely cost you in the low thousands, right?  :))  They are among the rarest vintage decks USPC ever made, only printed for roughly a half-year, and as of this year they're 96 years old.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
no I was un-aware which is why I asked. I have no idea the cost of vintage decks, which is why I made this post.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Since John B. hasn't posted pics, are we discussing the War Series Decks?  If so, I think our own Mr. & Mrs. Dawson are the proud owners of one of the very few complete sets known to exist… Don - I'm going to have to say in the high thousands… Low thousands per deck…

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
no I was un-aware which is why I asked. I have no idea the cost of vintage decks, which is why I made this post.

You should get the Hochman's Encyclopedia AND the Supplement with Pricing Guide.

There are indeed some very affordable vintage decks out there - especially the ones that are in less than prime condition.  This series is NOT among them.  I'd wager even a deck in slightly dodgy condition would still fetch a lot of money.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
We don't believe the Bicycle war decks were ever actually issued to the public as they were printed just as WWI was ending. We only know of six or seven complete decks including the four that sold as a set in the 52 Plus Joker auction two years ago. A good only condition deck, regardless of which of the four designs, in a box would certainly fetch over $1000. Mint would likely get $2000.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Since John B. hasn't posted pics, are we discussing the War Series Decks?  If so, I think our own Mr. & Mrs. Dawson are the proud owners of one of the very few complete sets known to exist… Don - I'm going to have to say in the high thousands… Low thousands per deck…

sorry I actually have seen a pic of the big gun deck because of the re-print. and yea I really like these, I looked at some vintage decks online to see if I could find some designs I liked so I could get a vintage deck. I might look to find a cheaper one, cause yea I cant afford that cost. lol. thank you guys for the info.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
These decks are beautiful. Honestly its hard to even find photos of these backs online outside of the Vintage Backs guide. I own a couple sets of the Big Gun reprints and at one time I wished the others were reprinted as well. However, over time I have changed course and hope they aren't replicated. The appeal of having something out there so elusive is just great. Does anyone know if the Big Gun back reprint was initiated by the USPCC or a third party? Is there a special permission needed to reprint old deck backs like these?
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
This was a project of USPC. They didn't issue too many - not sure of number. They brought a gross - that's 12 bricks for you younger guys! - to give away to the attendees at the 52+Joker convention at Erlanger in 2012. At the time they talked about doing all four because they needed to see the real decks which could only be provided by a few people in the club [they don't have any]. They guy who organized this is no longer there and the project has died.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

sorry I actually have seen a pic of the big gun deck because of the re-print. and yea I really like these, I looked at some vintage decks online to see if I could find some designs I liked so I could get a vintage deck. I might look to find a cheaper one, cause yea I cant afford that cost. lol. thank you guys for the info.

No need to be sorry.  If you're going to dream, you might as well dream BIG, right?  :))

I have an idea for you - try searching eBay's recently closed sales for vintage decks.  It will at least give you an idea of a) what's out there and b) what they're selling for on eBay.  Then you can search the open auctions/buy-it-nows for decks with more confidence as well as armed with the knowledge of what you're interested in.

Naturally, if you have questions, post something here and someone's bound to have the answer.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I might look into that as well.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »

Pip Nosher

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Here is a scan of the back of an original Dreadnaught box. I would concur that these decks are probably the rarest of all the Bicycle issues. I would not even necessarily consider the US8a Oak Leaf rarer, simply because the War Series consisted of 8 different decks (red and blue of the four different designs) and I think there are not even one example of each in circulation. A red Big Gun and a blue Flying Ace were broken up for singles (which I know because I have singles of each). Does anyone have singles from any of the other decks?
Pip Nosher

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
These decks are beautiful. Honestly its hard to even find photos of these backs online outside of the Vintage Backs guide. I own a couple sets of the Big Gun reprints and at one time I wished the others were reprinted as well. However, over time I have changed course and hope they aren't replicated. The appeal of having something out there so elusive is just great. Does anyone know if the Big Gun back reprint was initiated by the USPCC or a third party? Is there a special permission needed to reprint old deck backs like these?

This was a project of USPC. They didn't issue too many - not sure of number. They brought a gross - that's 12 bricks for you younger guys! - to give away to the attendees at the 52+Joker convention at Erlanger in 2012. At the time they talked about doing all four because they needed to see the real decks which could only be provided by a few people in the club [they don't have any]. They guy who organized this is no longer there and the project has died.

Now I could be mistaken on this, but I'm fairly certain that these reprints were done in a print run of 5,000 of each color, red and blue.  I get the feeling that USPC thought this was their chance to really nail down the vintage reprint market - they were originally only sold in two-deck matched sets, and a set was something like $40.  The cards weren't being sold individually - you couldn't just get a red one without getting a blue one.  It's not like they came in a fancy box or anything, but they insisted on combining them and charging a princely sum.  Another odd feature - despite going through all that trouble reproducing the period box as well as the card back, the faces were 100% modern faces - even the Ace of Spades and the jokers were the standard Bicycle model, making no mention of being part of the War Series or anything.  Face up, you'd think they were the Bicycles from the corner drug store.

They were very slow to sell - can you imagine why?

After perhaps a year or two on the market, Wingra Direct (shopbicyclecards.com) threw in the towel and started selling these for $0.99 a pack on clearance.  I picked up I think two bricks at the time and I've since traded a few away.  It also got people watching the clearance listing there like a hawk - it wasn't long after that the pink Harley Davidson "butterfly" deck went on clearance!  Now THAT was a seriously bad idea if ever there was one!

As mentioned, this deck ended up on the scrap heap, yet-another incomplete series that USPC started but never finished.  I'd be really shocked if they finally managed to make a collectible series of some kind and took it all the way to the very end - I'm still waiting on their "Special Edition" decks #3-10!

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
USPC did an outstanding limited edition repro of Army and Navy decks in 1981 for their 100 th Anniversary. Boxes and cards perfect repro, wrapper plain. These sell $60-80 a set in neat double deck case. I'll put pix up if anyone asks.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yes please. I would love to see them.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Glad someone asked!

I am going to put pictures of the 1881 originals [Antiques] and 1981 repros [Vintage decks now] in a new post in the Cellar of Fine Vintages. It's 3pm and they should be in the Cellar by 4pm.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Glad someone asked!

I am going to put pictures of the 1881 originals [Antiques] and 1981 repros [Vintage decks now] in a new post in the Cellar of Fine Vintages. It's 3pm and they should be in the Cellar by 4pm.
Done - see http://www.playingcardforum.com/working-title-a-cellar-of-fine-vintages/army-and-navy-decks-by-uspc-1981-reproduction/
Tom Dawson

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'll put pix up if anyone asks.

Tom, you should know by now - SOMEONE will ALWAYS ask!  Just go ahead and post away, please!  No need to ask permission or stand on formalities!  :))