You are Here:

Author (Read 2417 times)

« on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Hello, aethercards.

I've started card collecting and realised that it's not as straightforward as just looking through a few choice websites and getting all the information, so I've decided to make an account in the hope that I can keep up to date with what's going on in the card collecting community.

I started buying cards to learn card magic around 5 or 6 years ago, but ended up losing interest. I caught the magic bug a few months ago again, and the card collecting bug hit hard soon after. Since this is my first post, and I'm going to be frequenting these forums mostly for card collecting purposes, I thought I'd list the decks I currently have (in the order I see them sitting nearby):

2x Karnival Death Heads
1x Karnival Midnight (foil case -yuck-)
2x Karnival Dead Eyes (my favourite deck, aesthetically)
2x BeDeceived Style
2x Black Arcane
1x White Arcane
2x Karnival Renegades
2x Red Bicycle Series 1800
2x Bicycle White Ghost
1x Bicycle Shadow Masters
1x Bicycle Black Deck Tigers
2x Bicycle Red Masters
1x Karnival Original
1x Bicycle Phoenix Back (I ordered Karnival Hornet and got this instead, but I'm an easy going guy so just left it)
1x Karnival Assassin
1x Red Artifice
1x Brown Wynn Logo
1x Ellusionist LTD
1x Black Ghost 1st Edition
1x red, blue, green and black Crown

I also just got Dan and Dave's Variety Box V6 which, although isn't anything special, is good since I don't have any of the decks contained in it.

I tried to get my hands on some of the rarer decks to begin with just to get myself firmly established. Now I hope to just buy decks regularly and keep up to date. However, I hadn't heard of this 'Kickstarter' thing until about 30 minutes ago through this site, and it seems there's a whole world of custom playing cards that I've been missing. I don't know whether it's better to stick to mainstream cards or not. What do most of you guys do?

As for whether I use cards or not - if the deck is an affordable price (i.e. less than $10) then I'll tend to buy two of them - one for using and one to stay sealed. If it's a deck I know I wouldn't like from reviews and pictures or if it's stupidly expensive then I'll just get one for the collection.

Anyway, that's probably more information than you care about. Mainly, I'm here because I think it is good to be around like-minded people and it seems like there's a lot of knowledge in these threads that would be helpful.
Oh, Lawd!

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Welcome to Discourse! Make your way to the Playing Card Plethora. You'll find most of the newest and hottest information on any releases related to cards.

A great start to your collection. I see you've got some rare decks like RA, LTD., and BG1E. Keep it up! It's a long, expensive journey.

As for Kickstarter, the custom cards didn't really begin until last year. We've got some great designs on-route right now. Make sure you pledge for your share before their price increase after the campaign!

Buying two decks of the same design is usually what people do these days, especially for collectors. We like to keep some sealed to maintain its value, but at the same time want to see the artwork closely.

All in all, enjoy your stay here, and I'm sure you'll find many useful and handy information around!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I agree with all that was said above by sxjy0109. Also, I think that many kickstarter projects are great because they show some new brilliant minds and ideas. I think you will have an amazing time here!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Why hello. It's great to see new people here, and even better when they become a big part of this community.

I remember when I started collecting I had no idea how complex it was either. I promised my self to only get Bicycle branded cards..... Man did I lie to myself :-[

So far your got a pretty good collection for being new, and make sure you only get decks that you like. That is my advice to you. Don't try to get all the releases at once, because then you will not have enough funds to get some decks you really want. There are plenty of rare decks, but not many quality decks, and that is something I needed to learn the hard way.

Well that is just my advice. Let's get to know you better:
•What's your favorite card trick
•Who's your favorite magician?
•If you could get any deck in the world for free, which one would it be?

I look toward to your awnsers, and I hope to see you more  :)
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Welcome!! Loldude and sxjy said it all pretty well! That's a sweet start to the collection. You'll find lots of information here and a great community as well :) Hope you enjoy it and have fun collecting!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow! You did better than I did when I started.  :o

Anyway, I pretty much joined for the same reason with an added intention of taking advantage of the plethora of brilliant minds in the forums. I'm also working on a custom design myself so I wanted to get as much input as I can. When I joined though, I pretty much got more than what I bargained for. The people here are all pretty interesting and fun so I'm having a blast. I'm sure you will too.

So before anyone else says it, grab your most comfortable computer chair, kick back and relax. Join in on the discussions and I'm sure you will learn a lot so welcome!  :D
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
So we can know you better, two more questions:
1) Which deck do you think looks best (box, backs, faces, pips, everything included)?
2) Which deck do you think handles best?

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
So we can know you better, two more questions:
1) Which deck do you think looks best (box, backs, faces, pips, everything included)?
2) Which deck do you think handles best?

1)Out of the decks that I currently own, I'd say my favourite for looks is the Karnival Dead Eyes. I did an anatomy class as part of my degree and loved it and it brings back fond memories of anatomy (hopefully, that doesn't sound too sordid) and I like that it's not just custom back and Ace of Spades, like many custom decks.

2) Out of those decks I listed that I have opened, my favourite for handling is either BeDeceived's Style (Aristocrat stock and magic finish) or the Shadow Masters. The Style deck is a little too slippery (excuse for having poor dexterity :( ), but I'm hoping that goes away a bit with use (read: practice). But I really love the aristocrat stock.

[splice]
Well that is just my advice. Let's get to know you better:
•What's your favorite card trick
•Who's your favorite magician?
•If you could get any deck in the world for free, which one would it be?

The only one of your questions I can answer with any certainty is your second. My favourite magician is Derren Brown. I think his style and performances are spot on and if you've seen his DVD 'The Devil's Picturebook' you'll know he's a whizz with a deck of cards too.

As for the others, I really don't know. I'd say White Centurion for question three just because it seems obvious, but I don't really know much about the history of some decks that may well sway me for something of more personal importance.

Thank you for the kind welcome.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:10:47 PM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Haha, nice answer. Personally, I love Aristocrat stock, but, NEWS FLASH... I really am not a huge fan of magic finish, although I am aware that it is "the finish of the future"...

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard, Linguist_ - and I have to say, that's an interesting way to end a handle...  :))

You're in good company here.  Feel free to jump into a conversation and add your voice, no matter how opinionated it may be!  Some of our best conversations have strong opinions behind them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Here comes purple text ^_^

Hey there! Name's lara but in the forums I'm known as Krystle the only person who posts in a different color font. namely purple. I make it fun here by being one of the very few females active in the board. Ahahahah!

Anyway, Welcome WELCOME to AETHERIA! I mean Welcome to Discourse! You'll find people here fun and kind and rather lively. If you do have any questions don't hesitate to message any of the admins and mods. They would be more than happy to help you out. And if you are looking for a certain topic, the search option is a very handy tool.

Tons of really interesting topics here ^_^

I do hope you enjoy your stay here at Aethercards The Discourse

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
@Krystle - Would you be mad if I wrote in blue from now on, just to annoy you? :P

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
@Krystle - Would you be mad if I wrote in blue from now on, just to annoy you? :P

Why would i be mad? i don't own any of the colors you know. but I would be mad if you do double triple and quadruple posts and not using the "edit" option ^_^...
I'm serious

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard my new friend, look forward to seeing you around
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

From now on, as long as I remember, I will put my posts in teal :P like the tendril clip. I am also mad at myself for double and triple posting 2 or 3 times today, and also losing TONS of fame... I know this is off topic but, krystle, so, were you able to go to the magic shop in china where they sell those fake clips?

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Welcome to the forums :)
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

From now on, as long as I remember, I will put my posts in teal :P like the tendril clip. I am also mad at myself for double and triple posting 2 or 3 times today, and also losing TONS of fame... I know this is off topic but, krystle, so, were you able to go to the magic shop in china where they sell those fake clips?

How about stay on topic, look for the right thread and post there? This is a welcoming thread. Not where you ask for info on fake clips.

Anyhow, @Linguist_. You studied anatomy? How did it go? I'm taking some anatomy courses and the memorizing is killing me! Argh! @.@

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm still trying to figure out how anatomy ties into the linguistics.  Sure there's the parts of the body involved in generating speech and such, but a whole class of anatomy for that?

I'd probably present a very good challenge for you.  My spoken English has little to no detectable accent to it, and I typically toss in words from a variety of dialects.  You'd have a hard time knowing where I was born and raised if I didn't tell you!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Anyhow, @Linguist_. You studied anatomy? How did it go? I'm taking some anatomy courses and the memorizing is killing me! Argh! @.@

I only studied anatomy of the head, neck and respiratory system, so it wasn't too bad. But yes, anatomy can be a case of 'the knee bone's connected to the shin bone' at times. We had a great anatomy lecturer and hands on practical work with cadavers and that helps rather than just looking at pictures in a book.

I'm still trying to figure out how anatomy ties into the linguistics.  Sure there's the parts of the body involved in generating speech and such, but a whole class of anatomy for that?

I'd probably present a very good challenge for you.  My spoken English has little to no detectable accent to it, and I typically toss in words from a variety of dialects.  You'd have a hard time knowing where I was born and raised if I didn't tell you!

I'm actually a student speech and language therapist (pathologist, if US). Since you have to be able to diagnose and treat things to do with peoples' bodies we get taught anatomy of the bits we spend time around most - head, neck and respiratory system, as well as neurology. The linguistics is for when we have to treat speech disorders. I call myself 'linguist' because 'SaLT' (speech and language therapist) doesn't sound so awesome. Not that 'linguist' sounds awesome either.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:05:38 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse! For just starting collecting, you are off to a great start! Now is a good time to have come into this hobby because there are a lot of decks coming out now. Have fun here!

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I just realized you've got the LTD. deck but not the infinity! It's a deck that you should definitely consider to pick up!