You are Here:
The second edition of the Lumberjacks

Author (Read 39864 times)

Re: The second edition of the Lumberjacks
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Love the A o S.  I think it suits the theme perfectly.

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It is a good Ace of Spades.  And that story about the tax stamp?  It's largely for decks made and sold in Great Britain.  Decks in Europe came in a few different styles, but the Rouen style is the one that eventually became the International Standard design - the French, considering it a lesser design to their Parisian deck, made the design primarily for export to the UK, where UK printers started copying it, then some got shipped to the United States, where American printers also started copying it, making for a design that's got some similarities but some differences to the original Rouen models!  The florid Aces of Spades required by revenuers in Britain carried over to the US, which for many years didn't tax playing cards at all.  It was simply out of tradition (and probably also in no small part to make their product stand out from the others available) that US printers continued making decorative Aces of Spades, minus the taxation terminology.

The law was different in the US, where the stamp usually appeared as a "postage-like" stamp created by the Internal Revenue Service (and some card manufacturers, in the early years) which remained in use for nine out of about ten decades between 1862 and 1965.  When the US Federal Government repealed the tax, consumers were so accustomed to seeing it that manufacturers made their own "company stamps", used in conjunction with cellophane simply to show that the deck is unopened from the factory.  Another tradition for playing card design that comes courtesy of government intervention!

I believe that Alabama might be the only state in the country remaining that charges a state tax on playing cards, complete with their own version of a tax stamp deck seal.  The other states seem content with using garden-variety sales taxes to cover playing cards and other various goods.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Finished up the Ace of Clubs yesterday and the Ace of Hearts today.

Here's the Ace of Clubs:

« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Finished up the Ace of Clubs yesterday and the Ace of Hearts today.

Here's the Ace of Clubs:

Now that's nice!  I like that - it came out well.

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks Don! There's more to come!

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Okay, here we go! All of the Aces are done. All of the Court cards are done. All of the number cards are done! The back design is done. What's next?

I still need a tuck design (next on the list), 2 jokers and a gaff card. After which, I will begin the whole process with Bicycle. Assuming that there won't be any roadblocks (unlikely) I'd say there's a month before these hit Kickstarter. In that time, I will need to print and cut mockups, photograph scenes, make a video, build the kickstarter page, and edit the current lumberjack site. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

So there's still a little work to be done... a little ;)

Here are the Ace of Hearts, Diamonds, and all four together:

Notice I modified the bottom of the spade (tucked upwards to really bring out the form of the spade)

Back design will be up tomorrow followed by the tuck.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:36:37 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would ask one thing - do you really need a gaff card?

A lot of deck designers make gaffs for their decks, but is it a real necessity?  A deck like yours isn't the kind of deck that a magician would be reaching for first when choosing from his bag of tricks, if for no other reason than that isn't a common design that audiences will recognize or identify with.

An alternate idea - Uusi has created seven different decks, if you count Blueblood Redux as a separate deck.  Not one gaff card.  Some nice ad cards/diptychs, though.

You could also go the humorous route - if you're old enough to remember the British TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus", you could always make one card an "identification" card for spotting "the larch...the...larch..."  :))  If you could get the rights issues worked out, you could even put the entire "Lumberjack Song" on one of the cards!

I have no objections to gaff cards, of course, being a magician myself; I only wanted to remind you of the fact that there are alternatives.

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
That's it, I've had enough!!

From the beginning, the general consensus was that the hair on the courts was weird. Looked like bananas, intestines, snakes, etc. I wouldn't disagree with any of those. It's true.

Your comments didn't fall on deaf ears. I looked around online at how hair is done, went back and made some changes. Here's a new direction, I hope you guys like it.

I'll be modifying all of them in the next few days.

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
hahaha, those look great. I liked the banana hair. It had a certain cool to it. These look great too. Either way I'm happy. I do think his goatee/stache have a scruffier look now, he can definitely save some flavor for later haha. Good stuff!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I live in Portland, OR and they would eat this Lumbersexual deck up like vegan meatballs. Everyother guy here has a beard and flannel to match his skinny jeans and Toms as he cruises by on his fixed gear bicycle.

Still better than the Grunge movement...

For what it's worth I like the most recent change to the hair and think it looks great.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:23:16 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
It is a good Ace of Spades.  And that story about the tax stamp?  It's largely for decks made and sold in Great Britain... 

Agree. Almost all aces were used for that purpose in different countries.

From the beginning, the general consensus was that the hair on the courts was weird. Looked like bananas, intestines, snakes, etc. I wouldn't disagree with any of those. It's true.

Your comments didn't fall on deaf ears. I looked around online at how hair is done, went back and made some changes. Here's a new direction, I hope you guys like it.

Ah, in the end of the day I have to specify myself due to these cards. This is only my thoughts. I didn't mention all cards in my post regarding beards and moustaches. And I didn't say anything about hair. I think that style was nice (even better for these cards). I only think that those specific cards needed improvements in appropriate details. Those beards and moustaches looked like something artificially sticked to faces. All other courts have better designed "bananas" (if you like to call it so).

Aces are nice.

Blue lips of the girl kill me. I hope this is a joke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I wasn't offended or mad about the hair / mustache comments by anyone. It was mainly due to the fact that everyone i've shown them too commented on the hair / beard style. So much so that it kinda became comical. The suggestions you made will go into the cards you mentioned when I get to them. It should help!

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned the Jack of Spades needed work. Did the new hair help?

Blue lips were actually not a joke. Since the spades and clubs are blue I felt like red lips on those cards would pose an issue with the red suits. I'll give a nice toned down pink a try.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:05:52 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I like the blue lips. And I love blue lipstick in real life. I would love to see this on the end result
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2014, 03:30:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wasn't offended or mad about the hair / mustache comments by anyone. It was mainly due to the fact that everyone i've shown them too commented on the hair / beard style. So much so that it kinda became comical. The suggestions you made will go into the cards you mentioned when I get to them. It should help!

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned the Jack of Spades needed work. Did the new hair help?

Blue lips were actually not a joke. Since the spades and clubs are blue I felt like red lips on those cards would pose an issue with the red suits. I'll give a nice toned down pink a try.

I figured the old hair was a style choice.  The new hair, however, looks cool.

Blue lips are good - but you also have a lovely orange shade you're using on the work gloves that might look nice as lipstick.

Collector: it's true, but it wasn't always the Ace of Spades.  I've seen Spanish and Argentinian decks where it was one of the fours that received the tax stamp.  My Fournier decks still have a maker's marque on one of the fours (for the life of me I can't remember which suit).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:31:00 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

Sorry for this vandalism. I tried to show my hints regarding face. Also I tried to explain why I think previous “banana” style was nice as a general approach. I am not a designer, so choose wise caliber of stones before...

I like the blue lips. And I love blue lipstick in real life. I would love to see this on the end result

You are a "gourmet", sir. :)

Collector: it's true, but it wasn't always the Ace of Spades.  I've seen Spanish and Argentinian decks where it was one of the fours that received the tax stamp.  My Fournier decks still have a maker's marque on one of the fours (for the life of me I can't remember which suit).

You are right. We spoke about aces, so I said about them. People stamp them on cards that had a lot of free space for that purpose. In case of more or less standard arrangement of pips, 2s, 4s, and aces were the best choise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2014, 12:56:06 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

She needs bigger tits, and he needs bigger muscles. lol jk

In all seriousness - I think the lipstick should be blue. Matches the shade for the suit I like it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
^ haha, thanks for the comment.

Sorry for the picture less update and that I've been absent recently, there's another project at work that required some of my attention. But I have been working on the Lumberjacks in the spare time. I'm in the process of updating all of the hair and I will have the rest of the cards (before / afters) soon.

Just giving you guys a heads up.

« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Back to the top!

I've finished all the new hair updates and I made edits to the "wood grain" so they match on each card. Here are all the new cards:

Spades:

Hearts:

Clubs (toned the queens hair a lot, it was a bit big):

Diamonds (note the queens completely new hair):

More below!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:10:30 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here's the back design:

Kinda paying homage to the previous design with the tree and leaves, but with a twist. As you can see the ax is growing out of the tree and the caption on top reads "From the forrest itself comes the handle for the ax." Basically saying that the tree provides the tool that it used to kill it.

Love to hear what you guys think! I've also finished both Jokers and I'll be posting those up shortly. I think you'll like them.

Thanks!

« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Back to the top!

I've finished all the new hair updates and I made edits to the "wood grain" so they match on each card. Here are all the new cards:

For the Queen of Diamonds, I'd suggest a minor tweak.  The hair on the left looks cut short while the hair on the right is long and braided.  Unless she's now training as a Jedi padawan, I'd suggest having the hair on the right side curve back and go behind her head.  Imagine a woman's long hair pulled back and away from the face - that's the look that side should have, lending the appearance that it becomes part of the braid.

The back looks good and I love the expression you included.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:30:37 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Back to the top!

For the Queen of Diamonds, I'd suggest a minor tweak.  The hair on the left looks cut short while the hair on the right is long and braided.  Unless she's now training as a Jedi padawan, I'd suggest having the hair on the right side curve back and go behind her head.  Imagine a woman's long hair pulled back and away from the face - that's the look that side should have, lending the appearance that it becomes part of the braid.

I actually liked the "before" Queen of Diamonds.  The back Looks great!  This is a must have for me and I can't wait!  ;D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to finish the pony tail. It does in fact look cut off / incomplete.

I actually liked the "before" Queen of Diamonds.  The back Looks great!  This is a must have for me and I can't wait!  ;D

Thanks for the kind words, hearing that makes all this work worth it!

« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I like both the before and after images. They just look like different styles to me. But that back design is killer! Do you know how you're going to release this?

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
As promised, here are the Jokers.

I went with a diptych approach for these cards. So when placed together, they will create a scene of two lumberjacks sawing a log. Let me know what you guys think!

Smaller with the cards together forming the scene:

And maybe I'll offer a small print with one of the rewards, so this one will have "The Lumberjacks" on top instead of the Joker text.

Love to hear what you guys think!

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I think the jokers are the cherry on top!  You can sense the movement with the way they are positioned and the sawdust on the end of the stroke.  Nicely done! 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia