Re: The second edition of the Lumberjacks
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
As promised, the Jack of Spades. I choose not to give him an ax or saw or rope. Just a smug look! :)

Here are all the Jacks together. **Take this loosely** if you have cards laying around next to you, hold on up and you'll see that these are about 100% or the size.

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Why are they all blonde?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Why are they all blonde?
Maybe they are all Swedish Lumberjacks...   ;D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Why are they all blonde?

I wanted to portray the Jacks younger than the Kings. So, they became all blonde. I could've made some have darker hair or even gingers, but I didn't want to add another color into the equation.

« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Why are they all blonde?

I wanted to portray the Jacks younger than the Kings. So, they became all blonde. I could've made some have darker hair or even gingers, but I didn't want to add another color into the equation.

You do have the wood brown to work with that won't add another color into the mix. It's cool if they're all blondes, should be big with the anime crowd. They dig the blonde fellas. One should definitely have the hair cut of a donkey though. That would be great haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
You do have the wood brown to work with that won't add another color into the mix. It's cool if they're all blondes, should be big with the anime crowd. They dig the blonde fellas. One should definitely have the hair cut of a donkey though. That would be great haha.

You're right, I do. I could also make the club and spade Jacks have red hair. I'll see what it looks like.

Thanks for the suggestions!

« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Finished up the King of Spades last night. He'll be the only king holding a saw. The tooth pattern on the saw is called "The Great American".

Here's a shot of all the Kings:

« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Beards and moustaches are the main problem of this deck (The Jack of Spades, The Jack of Hearts, The Jack of Clubs and The King of Diamonds). Even this one looks better:

Everything else is interesting. It can be even better than the first edition. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:17:23 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Collector, can you elaborate on that a little more?

« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

It sounds like he's commenting on the realism (or lack thereof) of the beards and mustaches on the cards he mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:38:57 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Check with the printer on that KoH, Olde Bones had to change their KoH design because of USPCC rules against violent imagery.

"The good news is that 99% of our deck is approved and ready to go. We have hit one little snag, however, with our King of Hearts. Unfortunately, the USPC will not print it in its current form. Because the red string around his neck continues upwards, they state it is too explicitly suggestive of a noose, and as such violates their rules against offensive material. We have tried to appeal this decision but they are adamant on their position."

I think he just means the design of the facial hair on the courts. They look kindof like tentacles and less like hair. Facial hair doesn't clump and flow like the hair on the top of your head so I don't know if your beard style is the best representation for your design.

But that said, your cards look great and I have loved watching the evolution of this deck!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:55:53 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Check with the printer on that KoH, Olde Bones had to change their KoH design because of USPCC rules against violent imagery.

"The good news is that 99% of our deck is approved and ready to go. We have hit one little snag, however, with our King of Hearts. Unfortunately, the USPC will not print it in its current form. Because the red string around his neck continues upwards, they state it is too explicitly suggestive of a noose, and as such violates their rules against offensive material. We have tried to appeal this decision but they are adamant on their position."

Should that be the case, you can simply draw him holding the noose rather than wearing it.

Additionally, the "suicide King" doesn't actually commit suicide on his card - the sword is held over his shoulder and partially behind him, as if in a position to swing.  You could draw him with an axe over his shoulder and part of the axe head concealed by his own head.  As I mentioned earlier, a few centuries ago the KoH was the original "man with the axe" before the King of Diamonds took the name.

« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Should that be the case, you can simply draw him holding the noose rather than wearing it.

My concern is that Olde Bones had to change their king because the image was merely just suggestive of a noose, and this deck it is a noose by design with intent, regardless of how it is included in the design. I am curious if other printers would have similar reservations.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

My concern is that Olde Bones had to change their king because the image was merely just suggestive of a noose, and this deck it is a noose by design with intent, regardless of how it is included in the design. I am curious if other printers would have similar reservations.

They probably wouldn't.  They don't sell decks to 90% or better of the entire United States and Canada.  I remember the crap they gave Big Blind Media about their Inferno deck.

« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Remember the Grudge look?  Well, now it's this:  http://elitedaily.com/envision/hipster-men-are-lumbersexuals-photos/849694/

« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Remember the Grudge look?  Well, now it's this:  http://elitedaily.com/envision/hipster-men-are-lumbersexuals-photos/849694/

You mean grunge look, right?

Nah, I've seen guys like this.  It ain't grunge.  It's what hipsters evolved into when their girlfriends decided they wanted a guy with a manlier appearance.

It's as different as comparing the grunge look...

...to the Grudge look!

« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

Don and Justin O. helped me in this. Thanks, colleagues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for all the comments guys! Okay, lets take this one at a time.

But that said, your cards look great and I have loved watching the evolution of this deck!!

I will be sure to do that. It would be a bummer if they say it's "too violent" but I have a feeling that this will happen. Good thing I have like 5 other versions to choose from!

I'm glad you're enjoying the evolution, it's definitely a journey!

Additionally, the "suicide King" doesn't actually commit suicide on his card - the sword is held over his shoulder and partially behind him, as if in a position to swing.  You could draw him with an axe over his shoulder and part of the axe head concealed by his own head.  As I mentioned earlier, a few centuries ago the KoH was the original "man with the axe" before the King of Diamonds took the name.

We'll see, when the time comes, I will submit as is (already knowing it'll be rejected) at which point I will submit the one with the axe over the shoulder. I think even if "a noose" is shown it may be rejected. Should be interesting.

Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that the "lumberjack" look is trending right now. Even when I was designing the first deck. Oh well, it's not a bad thing to follow trends, not saying that I was. I'm just fascinated with hand tools, working with hands and wood / outdoor related things.

Damn you hipsters, damn you!

Don and Justin O. helped me in this. Thanks, colleagues.

Cool, I will see if I can do something to add a little more realism to them.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I love the first Lumberjack deck.  I can't wait to see the final product of the 2nd Edition.

« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member
  • Living well is the best revenge!

• Kickstarter:
Hi there, sorry was in complete wrong thread. I can't describe how many windows I have open.

Its great to see some real sketches from the birth of your concepts. It looks like you have put lots of effort into this deck. I particularly like the design of the "dungarees" (spelling?)  the thread work looks really nice. Im a big fan of negative space so having the background the same as the line work so all the colours used are suspended in space.

Nice work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:54:24 PM by Pixel Initiative »
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
My name is Stacey Jay Kelly and I have recently designed a deck of Illustrated Fresh Water Fishing Playing cards.

They are currently featured on Kickstarter.

I was hoping you would be interested in sharing this project or directly interested in pledges to receive a personal deck or bulk pack of decks.
best wishes and thank you so much.

Stacey

This comment had nothing to do with the second edition lumberjacks deck.

Call me crazy, I'm certainly no forum police, but I think it's pretty universally considered bad form to spam an add into someone elses design and development thread. Pretty rude in my opinion. >:(

« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
My name is Stacey Jay Kelly and I have recently designed a deck of Illustrated Fresh Water Fishing Playing cards.

I was hoping you would be interested in sharing this project or directly interested in pledges to receive a personal deck or bulk pack of decks.

Stacey

Call me crazy, I'm certainly no forum police, but I think it's pretty universally considered bad form to spam an add into someone elses design and development thread. Pretty rude in my opinion. >:(
I was thinking it might have been posted here by mistake because this exact post is in its proper place on the forum and nowhere else.  If it were intentional spamming I would think it would be in multiple places.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi there, sorry was in complete wrong thread. I can't describe how many windows I have open.

Its great to see some real sketches from the birth of your concepts. It looks like you have put lots of effort into this deck. I particularly like the design of the "dungarees" (spelling?)  the thread work looks really nice. Im a big fan of negative space so having the background the same as the line work so all the colours used are suspended in space.

Nice work.

"Dungarees" is an alternate word for "blue jeans", "denim jeans" or just "jeans".  You might be referring to the overalls, as dungarees are pants and none of his court cards shows their legs.  Overalls are like pants but have a bib in the front, usually with pockets for holding tools and such, and shoulder straps similar to braces or suspenders.  They're worn without a belt and are commonly found in work environments or pop bands from the early 1980s...  :))

Stacey

You're absolutely right in that it's considered bad form and rude.  But do bear two things in mind.

1) She changed the post when she realized her faux-pas, explaining it as a posting error and
2) She's a newbie - we were all newbies once, so we can cut her a little slack, right?  I would rather welcome her and offer her a gentle correction than castigate her and watch her leave, never to return.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:47:13 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Spent the day yesterday designing the Ace of Spades. There were (and still are) so many directions that this card can go in (this is one), but I started thinking "why is the Ace of Spades different from all the other Aces?" I didn't know. So, I did some digging around. For those of you who may not know it's actually kinda cool.

In the olden days, you couldn't sell a deck of playing cards without showing a tax stamp that indicated that you paid a tax to sell it. So, card makers put the tax stamp on the Ace of Spades. Later, this law was removed, but because card makers and people were so used to using / seeing the stamp, it stuck.

Anyway, history lesson aside, here it is:

My plan is to have four custom Aces. The Ace of Spades as you see it here, the Ace of Clubs receiving the same type of design treatment (making the pip into a tree) and the Ace of Hearts and Diamonds represented with forward facing logs from cut down trees.

:)

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I really like that AoS. It's not over done at all, or off in the north forty. I think it flows well with the deck and stands out in a unique fashion.