Author (Read 6494 times)

Art Of Play 1st exclusive deck - Friday 8am PST
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
The Bucks shot me a message asking me to spread the word about the 1st exclusive deck from Art Of Play.

I'll have pictures tomorrow, but I just wanted to let you guys know that the sale will be this Friday at 8am PST

More info:
"We'll be releasing a brand new deck of playing cards from The Expert Playing Card Company THIS FRIDAY. It will be our first exclusive release and we can't think of a better deck to offer.

The deck itself sets a milestone in printing by incorporating foil directly on the playing card. You have to see it to believe it!

Only 1,000 decks are being made available so set your alarms to sound this Friday at 8am, PST"

I'll post the pics tomorrow

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Art Of Play 1st exclusive deck - Friday 8am PST
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I hope it's not as boring as deckstarter.

Edit: I just read the EPCC thread and they made mention of an Exquisite Bold so I guess this is it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:36:22 AM by Yashi »

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:59:45 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 03:56:51 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
 :o What is that?
I pictured the Exquisite Bold to have foil on the back of the cards to more resemble the beauty of the tuckbox.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The magic mafia families are joining forces. lol
Daniel "The Gambler" Madison is dishing out the nicknames.

BUT, This is an offer I can refuse.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:36:10 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
:o What is that?
I pictured the Exquisite Bold to have foil on the back of the cards to more resemble the beauty of the tuckbox.

Same here.  :o

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They're kinda flashy - I have to confess, I got to see these cards during my last visit to CARC.  They're a bright alternative to the monochrome Exquisite backs, and they're made to the same quality.  It's a fun deck for a magician to bust out, and the foil on the center star could make for some stylish cardistry moves.  If I recall, the faces are the same as the original Exquisites as well - either that, or it's the new standard face that Expert PCC was working on when Bill mentioned it last, a new standard for their custom orders that don't have custom faces.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
They're kinda flashy - I have to confess, I got to see these cards during my last visit to CARC.  They're a bright alternative to the monochrome Exquisite backs, and they're made to the same quality.  It's a fun deck for a magician to bust out, and the foil on the center star could make for some stylish cardistry moves.  If I recall, the faces are the same as the original Exquisites as well - either that, or it's the new standard face that Expert PCC was working on when Bill mentioned it last, a new standard for their custom orders that don't have custom faces.

Hey I've been meaning to ask if CARC is a place anyone can visit and buy cards in person or rather a private office open only to employees and friends.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Interesting, EPCC going as an exclusive through Art of Play instead of selling them direct. It is a bold and flashy design, for sure. I've had one for a while and on first look it's kind of shocking! The foiling is a small accent but is quite cool, under the final finish and all. Just the fact that they were able to do real foil at all is fantastic, and I'm sure we'll see that again in the future.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Well that's a pretty neat deck. It sounds like that fpil star in the center will make this deck something that makes it pretty unique. May have to pass if it's any more than $10 or $12 a deck.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey I've been meaning to ask if CARC is a place anyone can visit and buy cards in person or rather a private office open only to employees and friends.

As the name implies, it's a Research Center.  An archive and library of some recent and ancient, rare artifacts dealing with magic and playing cards.  High-level members of CARC can schedule limited access for research but it's not open to the general public.  Otherwise it's either by invitation or employment, courtesy of William Kalush.

I was introduced to Bill courtesy of Lee Asher.  Bill was looking for someone who was into the recent-issue custom deck market so Lee recommended me.  I'd met Lee about a year earlier at his home in Toronto.  He got to know who I was through some assistance I gave him with his USPC deck-dating chart which I offered to him through his site.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:18:53 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm not sure if this is a D&D deck.. or a deck that D&D has exclusives to.

Either way.. it's not D&D's first connection to a colorful deck!

http://mwmgraphics.com/collaborations_dd.html

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Hmmm. Both decks look pretty good. D&D looks like they're trying to get some cool exclusive decks. Any word on what the price per deck will be tomorrow morning?

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

Wilko

• True Member

• Twitter:
I've seen those images of the shuffle deck a while ago. I quite liked the look of them. Then they vanished and I haven't heard anything else about them....until now.
Have they ever been available?
Will they ever be available?
Who knows.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I've seen those images of the shuffle deck a while ago. I quite liked the look of them. Then they vanished and I haven't heard anything else about them....until now.
Who knows.

I was just thinking this, the shuffle deck looks amazing.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Who knows.

I was just thinking this, the shuffle deck looks amazing.

The shuffle deck concept has been floating around on UC for a few years. I believe it was first published on a designers website. Never put into production.

I know it's not the first time CBJ has seen this.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah, I've seen that before - I think it was even posted here before.  It was never made, not to the best of my knowledge.  It might not even be a legit D&D deck design.  At best it looks like it was a concept that got shelved.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Edit: Forgot to refresh my page. Sorry.

Nice. Picked up a few decks because the foil element really does look very cool and this deck is pretty unique.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:36:29 AM by BeDoubleYou »

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Just bought a couple  They are there now

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
I love the deck.  :D :D

The foil star looks great and it's absolutely stellar quality in terms of handling.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:57:18 PM by BeDoubleYou »

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I picked up a few as well. Interesting that they are basically an imperfect deck. I wonder if the foil registration issue test was successful, and they figured out what to change for future decks, or if this was their last attempt, and they are just selling them because they have given up on trying to make the method work perfectly? I have always wondered about foil on cards themselves and how it would hold up, or how it would look with a protective coating to make it last.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I picked up a few as well. Interesting that they are basically an imperfect deck.

Just curious, how are they an imperfect deck? Handling? Foil registration? I don't have a deck, but I'd like to know. I've got to say, I, too, have been interested in using actual foil on playing cards over the metallic ink. Nothing beats the foil for shine.

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company
I picked up a few as well. Interesting that they are basically an imperfect deck.

Just curious, how are they an imperfect deck? Handling? Foil registration? I don't have a deck, but I'd like to know. I've got to say, I, too, have been interested in using actual foil on playing cards over the metallic ink. Nothing beats the foil for shine.

I can help with that.

They are imperfect because the foil star is perfectly centered some of the time but not always. Not sure what we will do with this technique in the future. I think we might create designs that the registration is somewhat less critical.
The other imperfection was that stamping foil on such a large sheet means that we couldn't completely control the pressure so sometimes a star shape can be seen if the card is held at an angle against the light. This is not every card nor every deck but another factor in trying this out.
The coating on these is actually over the foil. They were printed, foil stamped and then coated.
The good news, in my opinion, is that the foil does not adversely affect handling at all and the foil looks great and is especially cool in low light.

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

I can help with that.

They are imperfect because the foil star is perfectly centered some of the time but not always. Not sure what we will do with this technique in the future. I think we might create designs that the registration is somewhat less critical.
The other imperfection was that stamping foil on such a large sheet means that we couldn't completely control the pressure so sometimes a star shape can be seen if the card is held at an angle against the light. This is not every card nor every deck but another factor in trying this out.
The coating on these is actually over the foil. They were printed, foil stamped and then coated.
The good news, in my opinion, is that the foil does not adversely affect handling at all and the foil looks great and is especially cool in low light.

Thanks for the honesty in the reply. It's refreshing for a company to admit that they've still got a bit more to go for the perfect product. I know that putting in the foil isn't easy, but I wish EPCC the best with it. I've been waiting for a foil deck for awhile now.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's to hoping that with practice and the right tools, foil stamping like this will become both more accurate and more common, at least from EPCC!

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
They were very clear about the slight imperfections in the original deck announcemnt e-mail that went out. My guess is that it's one of those things where, if you know exactly where and how to look, you'll see it but normal folks won't even notice. It's an annoyance for them because after coming up with the deisgn and looking at it for hours on end, it's noticeable to their perfection-expecting eyes. They look great to me, and I to appreciate their openness in making sure that the info about the slight issues was clear anf forthright, and not hidden in tiny text at the bottom of the e-mail. The cards look great, and I'm pleased with mine. They are definitely worth buying.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
They were very clear about the slight imperfections in the original deck announcemnt e-mail that went out. My guess is that it's one of those things where, if you know exactly where and how to look, you'll see it but normal folks won't even notice. It's an annoyance for them because after coming up with the deisgn and looking at it for hours on end, it's noticeable to their perfection-expecting eyes. They look great to me, and I to appreciate their openness in making sure that the info about the slight issues was clear anf forthright, and not hidden in tiny text at the bottom of the e-mail. The cards look great, and I'm pleased with mine. They are definitely worth buying.

I spoke briefly with Bill Kalush last night - foil on cards is something they're still working on.