• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Hey Guys.

I recently had to do a course at my school to get a certificate saying I have enough knowledge to get my Learner's Permit.

I thought It would be a great idea to ask all of you if you have either your Learner's, Provisional or Full License. what car you drive (Brand:Toyota Corolla for example) and if it is a Manual or Automatic.

Let us talk cars!!!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

Re: Having your License?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I have my drivers license and I drive a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo SS (Automatic) and a 2004 Suzuki GSX'R 600 (Manual).
- Adam

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've had a driver's license for about 30 years now.  I'm hoping soon to become certified on motorcycles as well.

My current car is a 2003 Chevy Malibu LS - I got it from a dealer who got it when it was returned at the end of its lease back in '05.  To make it attractive to lease, it has every single option available at that trim level.  Leather seats, sunroof, power everything, overdrive, etc.  I've been loathe to give it up, but my wife and I are looking at getting a Toyota Prius C in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.  I'd get a Chevy Volt, but being an apartment dweller makes it impractical since I'd never be able to charge it.

Funny story: I actually got my first driver's license without ever taking a road test.  I was in Florida for a short while and got a learner's permit while I was there, at age 15.  The learner's permit in Florida automatically becomes a restricted operator's license at age 16, but I moved to New York before that occurred.  I waited a year before applying for a New York license (I had no vehicle to drive so I didn't think it was very important prior to that).  As I filled out the application, I noticed a section called the "Road Test Waiver", where I was allowed to turn in an out-of-state license and get the New York equivalent without taking a road test.  The DMV issued me a New York restricted operator's license which automatically became a full operator's license at age 17 - thus allowing me to get, via a legal loophole, a full license without ever taking the road test.

Eventually, I did take a road test.  When I returned to Florida in my early twenties, the state changed their laws regarding new residents from elsewhere, requiring that everyone take a road test.  It was meant to cut down on the number of senior citizens who hadn't been behind the wheel of a car in decades suddenly being unleashed on Florida roadways when they move to a place with big, open spaces and little public transportation.  The test, however, was a joke.  They held it in a parking lot instead of on actual roadways, and the parallel parking portion required me to park between two orange cones that must have been nearly two car lengths apart from each other.  The funny part is that the parallel parking portion of the test has since been eliminated from the test completely.  There's very few places in Florida where people need the skill - most places have parking lots and many city streets have no sidewalks, never mind curbs...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:45:03 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I'm on my red P plates, I drive a Peugot 307 and I drive and always will drive a manual. Once you're on your P's it's less of a grind and more enjoyable.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:23 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I have a regular license. I drive a 98 Maxima. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm on my red P plates, I drive a Peugot 307 and I drive and always will drive a manual. Once you're on your P's it's less of a grind and more enjoyable.

What are red P plates?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:03:26 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
In Australia you have: Learners, Red Provisional, Green Provisional and Black Provisional (or regularly known as full license) The red and green Provisional are for continued practice for the Full license. in NSW, where I used to live, the reds were you can only go maximum 90km/h and greens were 100km/h. when you are on your full license you can go any speed limit. but your learners you have to go 80km/h on a 100km/h highway. Where I live now, you can go the speed limit on your Learners.

TL:DR. . . . Provisional are for practice

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:02 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
EDIT: Josh posted before I did, but if you wish to read on then you're more then welcome.

Sorry Don, I forgot about the Aussie terminology  ;D In Australia there are 4 tiers to your license for a car: learners, red provisionals, green provisionals and open license. The plates are just what you display on your car so people know what to expect in terms of driving ability.

You can get your learners permit when you're 16 and grind out between 80-120 hours depending on your state. Once you're over 17 and have reached your states requirement for driving hours, you can apply to take your provisional exam. It's ideally just driving around with an examiner for around 5-30 minutes depending on if you fail straight away, or manage to make the entire route planned for you. The exams are on the open road too, so you go through lots of proper scenarios for driving.

Once you pass that exam, you get your Red P (Red Provisional) plates which allows you to drive on your own, but still have various restrictions. After 12 months on your Red P plates, you can move to your Green P plates after passing an online reaction test. The green P plates I believe you hold for a few years before moving onto your open license, and you don't need to display anything on your car.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:05:56 AM by agera94 »

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:30 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Hey Agera. Just so you know In ACT, where I live, You can be 15 and 9 months to get your L's. only have to hold it for 6 months AND only do 50 hours!

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Hey Agera. Just so you know In ACT, where I live, You can be 15 and 9 months to get your L's. only have to hold it for 6 months AND only do 50 hours!

Wow, Queensland is 100 hours...  ???

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
In Indiana you can get your licence (at age 16) by passing a 20 question test and taking a 15 minute driving/parking test around the block.  No joke, it is way too easy.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!