KS Deck: Bohemia by Uusi

Author (Read 5111 times)

KS Deck: Bohemia by Uusi
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
You heard it here first - if you haven't already spotted uusikissa1's new profile avatar!

Uusi, makers of the very successful Blue Blood deck, are coming to Kickstarter soon with Bohemia, a new and original hand-painted design done in the traditional Anglo-Rouen pattern used on the vast majority of playing card decks in the world.  This makes them ideal for card players and magicians - they're great eye candy, but also immediately familiar to any player or spectator.  And do I really need to explain how cool this would look for a cardist or a collector?

Below is but a taste of the art I was privileged to see, thanks to Peter and Linnea Dunham, the husband-and-wife team that make up Uusi.  It is totally gorgeous, fusing two different but equally bold artistic styles: the modern, urban styling of Banksy-esque graffiti and old-school Baroque painting.

If successfully funded, it will be made at USPC with Bicycle stock and Air Cushion Finish.  This is a good combination for those folks who think Magic Finish is a little too slick and slippery for their tastes.  As much as I love Magic Finish, I can't tell you how many times I nearly tossed all the cards off the table trying to shuffle a new MF deck for the first time...  And as much as people deride the Bicycle Rider Backs and their card stock, they're actually quite good, better than many will admit.  HOPC uses Bicycle stock on many of their decks, including the ever-popular Crown decks and NOC decks.  The size of the print run is not known to me at this time, but it will be limited and only printed once.

If you enjoyed the Blue Blood deck, or just kept kicking yourself in the ass for missing it, you're going to LOVE this deck.  Keep your eyes open - it should be hitting KS soon, though I don't yet have a firm project start date; perhaps Peter can enlighten us?  :))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:18:56 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: KS Deck Coming Soon: Bohemia by Uusi
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »

law_kid

• Tumblr:
Sweet.  I am a huge fan of decks that don't look like they came out of the nightmare of someone who spent all day playing Dungeons and Dragons and had spicy chili right before bed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:47:19 PM by law_kid »

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
More news - I rechecked my emails with Peter.  The start of the project will be in about a week to a week-and-a-half.  So it's probably going to be in the first few days of October.

Sweet.  I am a huge fan of decks that don't look like they came out of the nightmare of someone who spent all day playing Dungeons and Dragons and had spicy chili right before bed.

There is absolutely nothing nightmarish, horrific or chili-spiced about this deck...  :))  And you don't have to roll for initiative!  Trust me when I tell you this will be a highly sought-after deck.  It's among the most beautiful decks I've seen - and I have a collection of nearly five hundred different brands/styles/colors, so I've seen a few.  When Peter asked if I had any comments or suggestions about the deck, I had practically nothing to offer - they were just that good.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:25:50 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
This deck is gorgeous. I missed out on Blue Blood but I won't on this deck. Thank you Don for sharing these images!

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This deck looks pretty cool! 'm a big fan of Uusi's artwork style.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
That tuck box... so sexy.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I love that the small guys out there can bring such interesting and varied artwork and styles to playing cards. This one looks lovely, I'll certainly grab a couple.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hey Don, thanks for a great "first preview post" on our new deck Bohemia! 

We were really appreciative of the support we received from the Discourse community with our first deck, Blue Blood, and it's great to see everyone else here on this thread liking what they see so far with our latest deck design. We're really excited to launch the KS project for this deck - and yes, the launch date will be October 1st.

I'll probably be starting a new thread/post shortly with info on the new deck etc. and a place where people can ask any questions if they wish.

.....................................................................................
http://uusi.us/
http://uusi.us/blogs/gibber-ish

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I am definitely excited about this deck.
I really enjoy the work of the Uusi team.
The Blue Blood deck was remarkable and easily became one of my top 5 favorite decks (with 1 -4 being favorites for personal reasons that is quite a feat)
I suggest checking out their web site in general http://uusi.us/ They have more of their artwork there beyong the playing cards and it is all truly unique.
There is no doubt on my mind that this deck will get funded and that I will be trying to figure out if I keep the posters and art prints from Blue Blood on the wall or if I switch them out for Bohemia

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

I've been waiting for a Boho deck. Although I have a little reservations on this one. But maybe once we see more of it and stuff I might change my mind ^-^.
GAMBATE KUDASAI!

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »

DC

• Forum Regular
This deck looks VERY nice!
Thank you for this information!
I have seen many "KS" projects got mentioned in this forum, I think I better do some research on how does KS work and how to join...
This is a very nice deck!!!

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »

Shade

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • "Better 2 Burn Out - Than Fade Away!"
Although I can't see myself sitting down and play Friday Night Poker with this deck. I could see getting a couple for my grandma to play Hearts and Solitaire with.

All joking aside I find the jokers very appealing. I especially like the card  color and back ground lines that make it look like they were painted on pine wood. Very unique, interested to seek more of the court cards.  I will have to try to pick up a couple decks, missed the blue bloods introduction.

Thanks Don for keeping us up to date on the plethora of decks coming out.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This deck is gorgeous. I missed out on Blue Blood but I won't on this deck. Thank you Don for sharing these images!

You're welcome.  But you should thank Peter and Linnea, who gave me permission to post them and reveal some info about the upcoming project.

This deck looks pretty cool! 'm a big fan of Uusi's artwork style.

That tuck box... so sexy.

I love that the small guys out there can bring such interesting and varied artwork and styles to playing cards. This one looks lovely, I'll certainly grab a couple.

I'm a fan as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing these in my sweaty little hands sometime soon!  The tuck box is very cool, not the traditional tuck box style we've seen so many times over the years.

Hey Don, thanks for a great "first preview post" on our new deck Bohemia! 

We were really appreciative of the support we received from the Discourse community with our first deck, Blue Blood, and it's great to see everyone else here on this thread liking what they see so far with our latest deck design. We're really excited to launch the KS project for this deck - and yes, the launch date will be October 1st.

I'll probably be starting a new thread/post shortly with info on the new deck etc. and a place where people can ask any questions if they wish.

You don't need to start a new post - just use this one!  It's better to have all the info about a new deck in one place.

Peter, I thank you for the appreciation, but honestly, I think this deck will practically sell itself.  It doesn't hurt that you and Linnea over at Uusi have a sterling reputation for playing card design.  I know I was won over when I saw the other photos and I believe most of the people here will also be.

I am definitely excited about this deck.
I really enjoy the work of the Uusi team.
The Blue Blood deck was remarkable and easily became one of my top 5 favorite decks (with 1 -4 being favorites for personal reasons that is quite a feat)
I suggest checking out their web site in general http://uusi.us/ They have more of their artwork there beyong the playing cards and it is all truly unique.
There is no doubt on my mind that this deck will get funded and that I will be trying to figure out if I keep the posters and art prints from Blue Blood on the wall or if I switch them out for Bohemia

I've seen their site before - they do some truly excellent work.  If ever one needs a designer for a professional-grade project, Design by Uusi deserves your consideration.

I've been waiting for a Boho deck. Although I have a little reservations on this one. But maybe once we see more of it and stuff I might change my mind ^-^ .
GAMBATE KUDASAI!

I think you'll certainly be convinced when you see the additional artwork.  You'll be able to tell instantly that this is a beautifully-done, hand-painted masterpiece of playing card design.  And no, that's not hyperbole - I'm being absolutely straight with you and everyone here on this.  This will rank among the best decks of this year, if not the best itself.  As great as the Blue Blood deck is, this is that much better.

This deck looks VERY nice!
Thank you for this information!
I have seen many "KS" projects got mentioned in this forum, I think I better do some research on how does KS work and how to join...
This is a very nice deck!!!

Kickstarter is a place any interested card collector should look to for some new, innovative work.  Granted, you will find some chaff among the wheat, but there's enough top-notch work there to warrant your attention.

Although I can't see myself sitting down and play Friday Night Poker with this deck. I could see getting a couple for my grandma to play Hearts and Solitaire with.

All joking aside I find the jokers very appealing. I especially like the card  color and back ground lines that make it look like they were painted on pine wood. Very unique, interested to seek more of the court cards.  I will have to try to pick up a couple decks, missed the blue bloods introduction.

Thanks Don for keeping us up to date on the plethora of decks coming out.

Shade, you're most welcome.  I do my best, though I'm not always the first, to keep everyone here informed.

Trust me when I tell you, you could easily use this deck for poker - you'll know it for yourself once you see the designs.  Now if we could only convince Uusi to create it in a second color scheme for the back...  :))

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Incredible tuck case! Looking forward to see more images of this deck. Thanks for the head up!
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
If my memory serves me correct, I'm quite sure this is the nicest deck of playing cards I've seen being offered on Kickstarter. This will be the first time I've been compelled to pledge money to anything on there. I passed on the Blue Blood. The art was great but the deck as a whole was just not my taste. I will be sure to include the Bohemia in my master playing card collection.

One question... Will this deck have borders? From the look of the Joker faces and tuck box, I have a strange feeling it will not.

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
If my memory serves me correct, I'm quite sure this is the nicest deck of playing cards I've seen being offered on Kickstarter. This will be the first time I've been compelled to pledge money to anything on there. I passed on the Blue Blood. The art was great but the deck as a whole was just not my taste. I will be sure to include the Bohemia in my master playing card collection.

One question... Will this deck have borders? From the look of the Joker faces and tuck box, I have a strange feeling it will not.

Thanks for the compliment! There is a thin border on the card back, and on the face cards the artwork does not bleed ( the image that is posted here has been revised so the artwork stops shy of a bleed - A suggestion of Don's). Here is a link to our "sneak peak" page on our website where you can see the card back and four of the pips, showing each suite: http://uusi.us/pages/bohemia-playing-cards
.....................................................................................

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Those look beautiful!

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL On Uusi's Bohemia Playing Cards

Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we are going to have an "Early Bird" special  when our Kickstarter projects launches on Monday, October 1st. Hope to see you there!

Thomas Edison

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
Bohemia seems to be even more fascinating than Blue Blood.

Please, tell me we'll see some Custom Brick Boxes for Bohemia!

Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we are going to have an "Early Bird" special  when our Kickstarter projects launches on Monday, October 1st. Hope to see you there!

Have you already decided at what time on Monday the project is going live?

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Bohemia seems to be even more fascinating than Blue Blood.

Please, tell me we'll see some Custom Brick Boxes for Bohemia!

Have you already decided at what time on Monday the project is going live?

We are working on the possibility of custom printed brick boxes - maybe as a over funding goal, we think they could look pretty sweet with this artwork..
The deck will launch on Kickstarter this Monday at 12:00 noon EST. Hope to see you there!

Thomas Edison

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I'd just like to say one thing... What is with all of these Kickstarter Decks!? There are so many.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'd just like to say one thing... What is with all of these Kickstarter Decks!? There are so many.

We already have a topic on that.

Is it me or there are just too many playing card KS projects as of late

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that Bohemia Playing Cards are live!

Here's the Kickstarter link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244376122/bohemia-playing-cards-deck

Thomas Edison

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I made it before all the early backer rewards were gone!  :D

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
So if I pledge $49 for the early backer, will I get one deck, or seven?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!