You are Here:
8-Bit Bicycle®, Traditional 5200 Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 1284 times)

8-Bit Bicycle®, Traditional 5200 Playing Cards (KS)
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
8-Bit Bicycle®, Traditional 5200 Playing Cards

8-BIT TRADITIONAL 5200
•USPCC
•Bicycle®
•Magic Arcade Finish

LIMITED 5200
•Limited to 1,000
•USPCC
•Magic Arcade Finish
•Retro side flap tuck box, with matte finish and hot foil stamping
•Stainless Steel numbered certification card

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: 8-Bit Bicycle®, Traditional 5200 Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I liked their other, newer ideas better.  They did this with the 2600 series decks, pretty much.  I think they're hoping lightning will strike twice in the same place with this one.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The number cards look like fun. Space invaders, Combat, etc. on the faces are interesting little treats that make me smile. The cards themselves I think have too many colors on them though. The back on the LE tuck makes me frown, I just don't like it. The two aces I can see are pretty charming. I may back to show some support, but I may not too as this is not one my preferred shades of green and there's a ton of colors on the courts and face cards. I feel like, less is more for this style. Also have several 8 - bit decks as is. We'll see.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Is "Magic Arcade Finish" like "Magic Finish" or is it better?  It seems to be a new Finish made by the USPCC.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:04:19 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:30:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is "Magic Arcade Finish" like "Magic Finish" or is it better?  It seems to be a new Finish made by the USPCC.

I'm sure it's just Magic Finish.  It's been sold under quite a few names by now.  You don't honestly think that USPC would name a finish after a game arcade, do you?

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

I'm sure it's just Magic Finish.  It's been sold under quite a few names by now.  You don't honestly think that USPC would name a finish after a game arcade, do you?

Can you just name the finish whatever you would like with them? Do they regulate that at all?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I LOVE old school games and 8-bit style so I should like this and I do just not as much as I would like to. If that makes sense. I am not sure what is going on, there is pong, there is invaders but not enough variety.
Really cool deck and awesome sleeve, but not as amazing as what I hope.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:19:26 PM by Rose »

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:00:06 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I liked their other, newer ideas better.  They did this with the 2600 series decks, pretty much.  I think they're hoping lightning will strike twice in the same place with this one.

I think their space invader ideas were also used in their 8-bit Traditional 2600 decks. I just wonder how many times can you rinse and repeat, but i guess as long as it is working for them, they have no reason to stop.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Can you just name the finish whatever you would like with them? Do they regulate that at all?

You do understand that when you say "finish" you're talking about the card's TEXTURE and not its COATING?  For years, ever since the conversion from cloth rollers to steel rollers, the only true finishes are "embossed" and "smooth" - the rest is just trademarks and names carried over from the days when there were quantifiable differences in finish.  The term "Magic Finish" itself is a misnomer, describing the coating and not the texture of the card.  When Ellusionist was testing it for USPC, the code name for it was Performance Coating, a name that's more apt to what the product actually is and one that Ellusionist opted to keep instead of using Magic Finish.  If I were a spectator who knew little about cards other than how to play with them and I saw a magician pull out a deck from a box that says "Magic Finish" on it, I'm going to automatically think "That's a magic deck!  Trick deck, trick deck!  WITCH!" and so on...

I feel like I have to explain this to someone every several months or so.  I should just make a new topic on it for The Source.

No, finish names are NOT regulated by anyone.  The coatings themselves are, only in so far as they are chemicals and potentially hazardous when used improperly, so they're monitored by OSHA - the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in the US - to insure USPC's employees don't get sick, injured or poisoned.

One magician produced a USPC deck advertised as having "Apocalytic Finish".  No one believes for a moment that USPC created this whole new "finish" (again, just the texture, not really the coating) for this guy's deck.

As a deck producer, when you approach USPC, they'll say "Embossed or smooth?"  Magic Finish coating has been made the default for custom decks - if you want the standard coating used on USPC's standard-issue decks, you have to request it like it was a special order.  As far as what you want to name it - pretty much whatever you want, with the only possible exceptions being that you can't name a Bicycle deck as having Linoid Finish or Cambric Finish - no brand crossing for unique trademark names they own.

Here's a number of the known names for "embossed" finishes - they're all the same:
Air Cushion Finish
Cambric Finish
Linoid Finish
Linen Finish
High Finish
Premium Finish
Magic Finish (not really a finish)
Apocalyptic Finish
Plastic Coated (not really a finish, but it's on Arrco tuck boxes)
...and I'm sure there's more.

Smooth finishes are known as:
Smooth (duh)
Ivory
Magic Finish (yep, it's been used on smooth decks - and again, not a real finish, just a coating)
...and maybe a few more - it's not as common as embossed decks are.

BTW: have you ever seen someone complain about how crappy a deck is because it's Plastic Coated?  They have no idea what they're talking about - ALL modern coatings are some form of plastic!  Even Magic Finish is a plastic coating.  They last longer than the old varnishes.

OK, rant over, moving on...

I think their space invader ideas were also used in their 8-bit Traditional 2600 decks. I just wonder how many times can you rinse and repeat, but i guess as long as it is working for them, they have no reason to stop.

Nope.  Just as the Atari 2600 had its games and graphics, the 5200 was the next step up - it just didn't sell as well because it was released in the early stages of the collapse of the videogame market of the 1980s.  The games should look better than this deck portrays them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:59:40 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
This may shed a bit more light.  It's a quote from Tiffany at the USPCC.  It seems Magic Finish is the default finish.  You can still get Standard Finish, but it's a 15,000 deck minimum which is out of reach for most people.  It seems like the terminology needs to be what Paper stock: Bike or Bee, Texture: Smooth or Embossed,  Finish:  Magic or Standard. 

The web press.  Is that what they make the $450 demo decks from?  I think it's the same thing they use at the MPC.  Anyone know? 

When I first started looking into cards, I was very confused about this finish thing.  It seem at the USPCC Magic Finish is Embossed with the default coating of Magic. 

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This may shed a bit more light.  It's a quote from Tiffany at the USPCC.  It seems Magic Finish is the default finish.  You can still get Standard Finish, but it's a 15,000 deck minimum which is out of reach for most people.  It seems like the terminology needs to be what Paper stock: Bike or Bee, Texture: Smooth or Embossed,  Finish:  Magic or Standard. 

The web press.  Is that what they make the $450 demo decks from?  I think it's the same thing they use at the MPC.  Anyone know? 

When I first started looking into cards, I was very confused about this finish thing.  It seem at the USPCC Magic Finish is Embossed with the default coating of Magic.

Believe it or not, there have been smooth Magic Finish coated decks, just as there have been decks coated with Magic Finish where another coating or finish is mentioned instead.

The web press is a high-volume press.  Whereas the sheet-fed press receives paper a sheet at a time, the web press receives a continuous roll of paper, much like the presses you see newspapers printed on in all those movies and TV shows.  The roll is large enough to print about 11,000 decks (a 10,000-deck run, +/- 10%).  It's used for the most common decks sold in stores.  I've been told that registration isn't as good on web presses - another reason why you don't see them used for custom decks much.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

You do understand that when you say "finish" you're talking about the card's TEXTURE and not its COATING?
I feel like I have to explain this to someone every several months or so.  I should just make a new topic on it for The Source.

I do understand that, I actually know that thanks to you, but not from this post. I wonder if you feel like you need to explain this every time finishes are brought up because you have gotten used to people not knowing the difference, but I think that sidetracks you from the actual question for a paragraph or two you may not have needed to write. I was just curious if they regulated what people call the treatment used on their decks, coating or finish. Sounds like they don't.

How far would that go? Could I make a deck and claim I worked with USPCC to design a specially made unicorn blood coating that handles like magic because it is, in fact, magical; with a finish you have never experienced before that comes from the hide of the very unicorn that was used to produce the magic coating. A deck so unique, in a super limited 5000 deck print run, you will never feel cards this special again if you miss out? Until I make a slightly different color variant for another super limited run of course.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You do understand that when you say "finish" you're talking about the card's TEXTURE and not its COATING?

I do understand that, I actually know that thanks to you, but not from this post. I wonder if you feel like you need to explain this every time finishes are brought up because you have gotten used to people not knowing the difference, but I think that sidetracks you from the actual question for a paragraph or two you may not have needed to write. I was just curious if they regulated what people call the treatment used on their decks, coating or finish. Sounds like they don't.

How far would that go? Could I make a deck and claim I worked with USPCC to design a specially made unicorn blood coating that handles like magic because it is, in fact, magical; with a finish you have never experienced before that comes from the hide of the very unicorn that was used to produce the magic coating. A deck so unique, in a super limited 5000 deck print run, you will never feel cards this special again if you miss out? Until I make a slightly different color variant for another super limited run of course.

Let me put this right...over...here.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

I'd totally buy a unicorn blood/hide deck...=P