You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors: Gold Reserve Edition!?!

Author (Read 12238 times)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors: Gold Reserve Edition!?!
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I'm bumping this somewhat old topic up because Dan and Dave just posted a pic of this deck on instagram three hours ago and I was just curious - does anyone know if they're giving these decks way in other promotions? Or if new members of the Deck of the Month Club will be able to obtain it this month?

I know new members of the DOTM club are NOT getting the deck. I thought that too but if you look at the DOTM page is says all decks are shipped the first week of the month. If you were to join the second week of January your first DOTM would not ship until February. Only January 1st members got it for DOTM.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:03:28 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Anyone know if these are factory sealed in cellophane?

I saw a deck on my last visit to CARC.  I think it was cellophaned - I saw it already opened at the fip-top lid, but with the gold foil wrapper still intact, and I think there was still cellophane on the lower portion of the box.  It wasn't my deck, so I didn't tear into it to get a look!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So I hear someone paid $430 for on on eBay...

All well and good until the Bucks find more and kindly decide to sell them to the public. There are far too many instances of "this is made just for us...you'll never be able to buy one...well maybe someday...oh look we have more...well let's just sell them!" that it would be more shocking if these actually remained private. I'm pretty sure patience will be rewarded at some point. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Anyone know if these are factory sealed in cellophane?

I saw a deck on my last visit to CARC.  I think it was cellophaned - I saw it already opened at the fip-top lid, but with the gold foil wrapper still intact, and I think there was still cellophane on the lower portion of the box.  It wasn't my deck, so I didn't tear into it to get a look!
Actually, no. They are not wrapped in cello. The deck inside the box is indeed wrapped in a gold foiled paper.

All well and good until the Bucks find more and kindly decide to sell them to the public. There are far too many instances of "this is made just for us...you'll never be able to buy one...well maybe someday...oh look we have more...well let's just sell them!" that it would be more shocking if these actually remained private. I'm pretty sure patience will be rewarded at some point. :)
When did DnD ever make a deck that was mean strictly for themselves, and not for the public, but eventually sell them? It doesn't make sense from a business perspective. It not only depreciates the value of the deck, but reduces the credibility of the company as well. Are you referring to some other company?

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I'm bumping this somewhat old topic up because Dan and Dave just posted a pic of this deck on instagram three hours ago and I was just curious - does anyone know if they're giving these decks way in other promotions? Or if new members of the Deck of the Month Club will be able to obtain it this month?

I know new members of the DOTM club are NOT getting the deck. I thought that too but if you look at the DOTM page is says all decks are shipped the first week of the month. If you were to join the second week of January your first DOTM would not ship until February. Only January 1st members got it for DOTM.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. :)

Yeah... I think I'll wait, too.

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It doesn't make sense from a business perspective. It not only depreciates the value of the deck, but reduces the credibility of the company as well. Are you referring to some other company?

Do the words v7 Carbon will be the last mean anything to you? Credibility? Dan and Dave are not the only ones guilty of this. I'm not complaining but 98% of the forum knew public distribution would happen in one form or another.

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
It doesn't make sense from a business perspective. It not only depreciates the value of the deck, but reduces the credibility of the company as well. Are you referring to some other company?

Do the words v7 Carbon will be the last mean anything to you? Credibility? Dan and Dave are not the only ones guilty of this. I'm not complaining but 98% of the forum knew public distribution would happen in one form or another.

I would have to agree, It's all contrived scarcity/availabiltiy. I mean if they would maybe wait a year, even 6 months before going with the "....these just found next to the the crate we keep the Arc of the Covenant in" I wouldn't mindas as much, I mean build a little drama for crying out loud. But like !An0nym0u5 mentioned....who didn't see this coming?

As for the ebay listing, you have got to be out of your freeking mind. Of course it's not completely out of the realm of reality that someone on ebay is trying to make the deck seem more valuable than it really is................ya that never happens on ebay, nope, no shill accounts out there, no sir  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:23:06 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I would have to agree, It's all contrived scarcity/availabiltiy. I mean if they would maybe wait a year, even 6 months before going with the "....these just found next to the the crate we keep the Arc of the Covenant in" I wouldn't mindas as much, I mean build a little drama for crying out loud. But like !An0nym0u5 mentioned....who didn't see this coming?

As for the ebay listing, you have got to be out of your freeking mind. Of course it's not completely out of the realm of reality that someone on ebay is trying to make the deck seem more valuable than it really is................ya that never happens on ebay, nope, no shill accounts out there, no sir  :P

Just because someone bids that high does not mean the seller will ever see the money. One negative feedback might be worth saving $400+. Same thing happened when the Gold Crown Gift Boxes were released and then sold on eBay. I think a seller would be lucky to get the $50 they paid for it now. Although D&D do have more pull, this is only one deck
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:08:18 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Do the words v7 Carbon will be the last mean anything to you? Credibility? Dan and Dave are not not the only ones guilty of this. I'm not complaining but 98% of the forum knew public distribution would happen in one form or another.

Just because someone bids that high does not mean the seller will ever see the money. One negative feedback might be worth saving $400+. Same thing happened when the Gold Crown Gift Boxes were released and then sold on eBay. I think a seller would be lucky to get the $50 they paid for it now. Although D&D do have more pull, this is only one deck

I'm not sure I follow what you mean about the negative feedback and saving $400. Please explain. 

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I believe Anonymous is saying that even though the bid is that high, it doesn't necessary mean that the bidder will pay for the item. The bidder could have regrets about bidding that high so they'd rather just save the money and take the negative feedback hit on eBay's users feedback system.

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I believe Anonymous is saying that even though the bid is that high, it doesn't necessary mean that the bidder will pay for the item. The bidder could have regrets about bidding that high so they'd rather just save the money and take the negative feedback hit on eBay's users feedback system.

Ohhh,  I see.  It doesn't show on the picture,  but there were five bids,  so if the winner doesn't pay for it,  the seller could offer it to the other bidders via the second chance offer.  There is the chance that all of the bidders no longer want to purchase the deck,  but there is also still a chance one of them might take it.  The bid actually started at $300 and escalated from there. I didn't think anyone would even bid at that price...

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 03:09:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Ohhh,  I see.  It doesn't show on the picture,  but there were five bids,  so if the winner doesn't pay for it,  the seller could offer it to the other bidders via the second chance offer.  There is the chance that all of the bidders no longer want to purchase the deck,  but there is also still a chance one of them might take it.  The bid actually started at $300 and escalated from there. I didn't think anyone would even bid at that price...

I'm strongly of the opinion that someone shill-bid the deck to that price.  The account used for the bid, while notable for having 315 positive reviews since it was created, has had only three purchases in the past year.  The only hole in my theory, however, is that the same deck sold on eBay's site in France for $419.86 on a Buy It Now from one of our own members.

What was that expression about fools and money...?  :))

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
- Tom

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Here's another one for sale for $425

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-and-Dave-Gold-Private-Reserve-Playing-Cards-Smoke-Mirrors-Rare-Deck-/201035441294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecea5648e

$5 off the "current market price"? What an incredible bargain! :))

The thing I find so funny about collectors is as soon as GOLD is brought into the equation, it results into a price frenzy. The human response to just the word "GOLD" is incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:04:45 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »

shimmyjimmy

• Newcomer
whoa.

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
whoa.

How insightful!  :))

First, welcome to the boards.  Head over to the "Introduce Yourself" board and make a new topic so the rest of the gang can properly greet you.

Second, we usually prefer replies that are a bit more thorough, expressing thoughts and opinions rather than just interjections.  What about this deck makes you say "whoa"?

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

I'm strongly of the opinion that someone shill-bid the deck to that price.  The account used for the bid, while notable for having 315 positive reviews since it was created, has had only three purchases in the past year.  The only hole in my theory, however, is that the same deck sold on eBay's site in France for $419.86 on a Buy It Now from one of our own members.

What was that expression about fools and money...?  :))

Don, speaking of fools and money...why don't we band together 55 of us, all pitch in $8.25, and everyone will get a random card, and one person will get the empty tuck.  Then whenever someone voyages on they send their card to a third party until the last person is left standing.  Geeze, by then the deck will be worth a billion dollars!!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:28:41 AM by Don Boyer »
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, speaking of fools and money...why don't we band together 55 of us, all pitch in $8.25, and everyone will get a random card, and one person will get the empty tuck.  Then whenever someone voyages on they send their card to a third party until the last person is left standing.  Geeze, by then the deck will be worth a billion dollars!!!

You wanna make a tontine - out of a pack of cards?!?

And the award for "Fool of the Year 2013" goes to...  :))