"Tuxedo" Playing Cards (KS)
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:59:58 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
"Tuxedo" Playing Cards
By Natalia Silva

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: "Tuxedo" Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
When I think "tuxedo," wild animals are usually the furthest thing from my mind...

The back needs a redo - it appears two-way but there's that line in the middle where the pattern is interrupted.  That's completely not necessary.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
When I think "tuxedo," wild animals are usually the furthest thing from my mind...

Wild animals with human hands.  I'll stick with my Black Tie deck.  This one is an easy pass.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

The back needs a redo - it appears two-way but there's that line in the middle where the pattern is interrupted.  That's completely not necessary.

The back is the issue that jumped at me first. It's such an abrupt change it's like being smacked in the eye from my perspective. I always go straight for the card back when I'm investigating a new deck. The animal kingdom being represented here gives me pause, it doesn't make any sense at all. Raises questions about the deck for me. Is this supposed to be a whimsy deck with a serious tone, al la dark comedy? Is it supposed to represent the nature of man, we're all beasts at the base type of thing? Etc, etc. Or is it more simple than any of those and Ms. Silva just wanted to dress the animal Kingdom in tuxedos and call it a day? I understand it was an idea inspired by a conversation with her friend, cool, I just don't understand the animal heads. I think it would make more sense if they were all endangered animals, an awareness kind of situation. Something that would go over much better with me would be Animal Masquerade masks.

Courts and card back aside, I like the tuck box. It comes across very well in my opinion. I like what I see of the number cards as well. I like the AoH but I don't quite dig on the other aces so much. Bow ties make sense, it's Tuxedo right?

The talent is clearly there for some really great things. I'm wondering when it will manifest itself into a deck that has the feel and makes sense in the next one. I think I'll pass on this one. To me this is one of those decks that offers some quiet charm, while at the same turns the charm on it's ear and becomes something less than it's parts.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:17:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Is this supposed to be a whimsy deck with a serious tone, al la dark comedy? Is it supposed to represent the nature of man, we're all beasts at the base type of thing? Etc, etc. Or is it more simple than any of those and Ms. Silva just wanted to dress the animal Kingdom in tuxedos and call it a day? I understand it was an idea inspired by a conversation with her friend, cool, I just don't understand the animal heads. I think it would make more sense if they were all endangered animals, an awareness kind of situation. Something that would go over much better with me would be Animal Masquerade masks.

I'd say it's the artist's creative whimsy, in the sense of that's what she felt like making one day, so that's what she made.  No seriousness or theme beyond animals in tuxedos.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/