You are Here:
Dan and Dave Deck stays

Author (Read 7141 times)

Dan and Dave Deck stays
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:52:59 AM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Hey guys, I saw there was no topic so I made one :')
Looks like the bucks have released something cheap and useful, I might have to pick one up
http://shop.dananddave.com/deck-stays.html
Plus a free one with your order all weekend

What do you guys think?

-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

Re: Dan and Dave Deck stays
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »

Ben Taylor

I don't really see how these are useful. It's always the outside of my boxes that get worn out, and a deck clip seems like a better choice. $5 for these, and I can only use them on one deck because of the adhesive? Might as well just get a new deck.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
You get a free deck though. Not sure what deck but I mean for $5 depending on shipping I am interested.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »

Benjam

• True Member
I really like the idea, I think it's awesome for people who like having a deck box rather than it being covered by a card clip... but then again, the fact that they're not reusable is bad I reckon. That's what ruins it for me, at least.
Great idea though, props to D&D for that!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
And I just saw it would cost me $7 for shipping. not worth it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
These look great. Innovation at its best. Funny how a company that wants to sell decks, creates products that help prolong the use of a single deck or its tuck box. Between keeping the cellophane partly on, "porper card clips", washing the oils from your hands and now "deck stays", a brick could last years.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:53:13 AM by Anonymous »

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
These look great. Innovation at its best. Funny how a company that wants to sell decks, creates products that help prolong the use of a single deck or its tuck box. Between keeping the cellophane partly on, "porper card clips", washing the oils from your hands and now "deck stays", a brick could last years.

Actually that's a sign of a company that sees past it's next cash cow. In this circumstance, collectors and professional are going to buy decks, that's a give in, with DandD presenting things like this that "Support" the investment is great vision and customer service. It may not appeal to everyone, but it shows that they look at their customer base as more than just a dollar sign.....yes, it's business and the number one rule of business is to make money, but I give them props for introducing things like this.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Talk about a solution looking for a problem...  I've NEVER had such an issue.  Only time I ever had a box start to fall apart, it was doing so at the edges - something these stays will do NOTHING to preserve.  If anything, the metal will accelerate the breakdown by putting more weight and stress on the box.  And the only reason the box fell apart was I was beating the hell out of it in the first place!  Plus it wasn't holding some special deck, just some old bang-around POS ten or fifteen years past its lifespan in the first place.

You get a free deck though. Not sure what deck but I mean for $5 depending on shipping I am interested.

Not a free deck.  Free deck stays, one set, for each purchase - even if you're buying deck stays.

I really like the idea, I think it's awesome for people who like having a deck box rather than it being covered by a card clip... but then again, the fact that they're not reusable is bad I reckon. That's what ruins it for me, at least.
Great idea though, props to D&D for that!

Sure - but clips keep the cards flat.  These don't.

Actually that's a sign of a company that sees past it's next cash cow. In this circumstance, collectors and professional are going to buy decks, that's a give in, with DandD presenting things like this that "Support" the investment is great vision and customer service. It may not appeal to everyone, but it shows that they look at their customer base as more than just a dollar sign.....yes, it's business and the number one rule of business is to make money, but I give them props for introducing things like this.

I see it as a sign that when the company looks at its customers, it doesn't see people - it sees the contents of their wallets.  I liked their hand lotion, but this is really pushing past the boundaries.  It's a useless product that does nothing but make a single deck of cards $5 more expensive.  Why?  What does it REALLY do for the cards?  Does it protect the box from damage?  Not really.  The only damage this might prevent is crush damage from sitting on it - something that's a non-issue when the box is filled with cards!

Collar stays surve a purpose - they take a limp collar and make it stiff.  Guys, be honest - have you ever in your life experienced a limp tuck box?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I get your point Don I really do and maybe in a year I'll change my opinion, as I said, I know business is business, but where do you give any business some props then? We all know there out to get more of your money, but there has to be something to adding to your product line and offering your customers something.

Maybe it's because I'm new to this and haven't really had a chance to shop with card merchants, but I would see there hats as more of a "Sell out" type item than the card clips or these inserts.

I'll agree to disagree on this one  ;)

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I hate quoting Don from the Blue Crown Sale thread but in what world is getting something free a company who only see's the contents of their wallet (getting screwed)? Its free with your order or you can buy one.

Don does not give props to company's he does not get free product from. Or do you get free product from D&D? I don't know but it does help sway a favorable opinion from him.

I see Don's point about the tuck box but its still an innovative idea. If not D&D then someone else most likely would have. If a company is going to prolong a deck or tuck, you might as well be the company to make money doing it. Product diversification.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:34:55 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I get your point Don I really do and maybe in a year I'll change my opinion, as I said, I know business is business, but where do you give any business some props then? We all know there out to get more of your money, but there has to be something to adding to your product line and offering your customers something.

Maybe it's because I'm new to this and haven't really had a chance to shop with card merchants, but I would see there hats as more of a "Sell out" type item than the card clips or these inserts.

I'll agree to disagree on this one  ;)

If this was a useful tool, a great deck, the best instructional DVD ever, etc., I'd be thrilled.  If it was just a decent version of any of those items, I'm fine with that.  But this is, to me, simply a waste of money.  I have never had the problem they're describing with a custom deck that I've taken care of and I can't see how these stays prevent anything other than crush damage when the box is empty.  When the box is full, the cards themselves prevent crush damage.

I hate quoting Don from the Blue Crown Sale thread but in what world is getting something free a company who only see's the contents of their wallet (getting screwed)? Its free with your order or you can buy one.

Don does not give props to company's he does not get free product from. Or do you get free product from D&D? I don't know but it does help sway a favorable opinion from him.

I see Don's point about the tuck box but its still an innovative idea. If not D&D then someone else most likely would have. If a company is going to prolong a deck or tuck, you might as well be the company to make money doing it. Product diversification.

Actually, no, swag doesn't sway me.  And you completely missed the point here.  The point is that I don't find this to be a useful product, NOT that someone gets it for free with purchase.  This means it has nothing to do with the previous discussion we had on another board about people complaining about TBC's giveaway policies with their rare decks.  :))

If these were plastic, covered the entire interior of the box like a square sleeve, could be interchanged between boxes and cost a buck or less a piece in packs of ten or twelve, that would be awesome.  But five dollars for something that I stick permanently on the inside of my tuck box and provides little if any protection to my deck or my box?  That's more than half the cost of the majority of the decks D&D sells!  It's just too expensive for so little benefit.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Guys, be honest - have you ever in your life experienced a limp tuck box?  :))

This is neither the time, nor the place, for personal problems Don.  ;D

But I do agree with you regarding the breaking points of a tuck box. These deck stays will not do anything to halt the effect of degradation due to wear. The corners, as Don stated, are the points where wear will take place as these are the points the tuck box is folded along. The pattern of the box is pressed out, and fold lines pressed into the cardboard to make the folding easier. This thins out the material to greatly reduce bunching when the sides are folded, but this also means that the material is easier to damage through use.

To see for yourself, take a piece of paper and fold it, then open it up and fold the other way. Do this a few times, then gently pull on the two halves. The paper should come apart quite easily along the line you've folded into it. To stop this from occurring with a tuck box, you would need to reinforce the corners, not sides. The only thing reinforcement of the sides will do is reduce damage caused to the sides when the box has a weight placed upon it when the cards aren't inside.

I can't believe I just wrote as much as I did. I think Don and his 'medical journal-length' answers are starting to have an effect on me.  ???
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I can't believe I just wrote as much as I did. I think Don and his 'medical journal-length' answers are starting to have an effect on me.  ???

And to me, yours was a SHORT answer...  :))
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:40:26 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Actually, no, swag doesn't sway me.  And you completely missed the point here.  The point is that I don't find this to be a useful product, NOT that someone gets it for free with purchase.  This means it has nothing to do with the previous discussion we had on another board about people complaining about TBC's giveaway policies with their rare decks. 

How did I miss your point? I said I understood your point about the tuck box.

You can say your friendships and free swag does not sway you all you want. I don't believe a word you write on that subject. Nothing you can write will change my mind.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:47:43 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Actually, no, swag doesn't sway me.  And you completely missed the point here.  The point is that I don't find this to be a useful product, NOT that someone gets it for free with purchase.  This means it has nothing to do with the previous discussion we had on another board about people complaining about TBC's giveaway policies with their rare decks. 

How did I miss your point? I said I understood your point about the tuck box.

You can say your friendships and free swag does not sway you all you want. I don't believe a word you write on that subject. Nothing you can write will change my mind.

That's a subject for a different topic.  You were stating that I had a problem with a company giving away something for free - like D&D's collar stays - er., I mean deck stays with the purchase of anything.

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's worth free.

I do think it's kinda useful though. I've had many-a boxes get crushed in my pocket. These stays probably would have prevented that.

...The key word is "many" though. I have at least 10 decks that I use for just keeping with me for practicing flourishes on the bus and such. (I'll use my Legends one day, my 125 Anniversary, the next, etc.) Unless I buy 10 of these, they're not too useful.

But then again, I've been holding off on placing an order from Dan and Dave for months, because I knew they'd eventually do a promotion like this!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:30:20 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 05:38:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's worth free.

Well that's how the pushers and dealers get ya.  They let you have a taste for free, then once you're hooked, you're paying five bucks a hit...  :))

Think of it like this - you have ten decks each of Brands X, Y and Z and that's what you're using for now in your practice.  You'll want to use this stays on all of your decks as you open them, consume them, then eventually toss them out when they're completely lifeless and useless.  So - you thinking of shelling out a hundred and fifty bucks to put these things into all of your boxes?  They're non-transferable unless you want to use your own adhesives, which I'm sure will look wonderful.  Transferring new decks to the old boxes will not help with reducing wear and tear - you're using them longer than they were intended.

If you want to protect your box from getting crushed, get a box jacket from CARC and call it a day.  They're the same price (cheaper when bought in bulk), they protect your box and your cards, you can swap decks in and out of them and they even look cooler - who the hell is going to be impressed with a feature that they can't even see unless you take the trouble of showing them the inside of the box?  The "Expert Playing Card Co." box jackets are much nicer (and CHEAPER as well as MORE USEFUL) than these stays are at protecting my cards.  Sure metal stays will last longer in the sense that they will take many more centuries to decompose in a landfill, but the box they were glued into won't last anywhere near as long as the CARC box jackets.

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't these just go on the smaller walls of the tuck case? Wouldn't that mean that the tuck can still be crushed if pressure was applied in any way other than straight on?
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't these just go on the smaller walls of the tuck case? Wouldn't that mean that the tuck can still be crushed if pressure was applied in any way other than straight on?

That's what it looks like. I guess you would have to assume not many are putting decks "in pockets" OR "on ground" on its side. I like the D&D stencil. Tag some stuff up with it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:30:15 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's worth free.

Well that's how the pushers and dealers get ya.  They let you have a taste for free, then once you're hooked, you're paying five bucks a hit...  :))

Think of it like this - you have ten decks each of Brands X, Y and Z and that's what you're using for now in your practice.  You'll want to use this stays on all of your decks as you open them, consume them, then eventually toss them out when they're completely lifeless and useless.  So - you thinking of shelling out a hundred and fifty bucks to put these things into all of your boxes?  They're non-transferable unless you want to use your own adhesives, which I'm sure will look wonderful.  Transferring new decks to the old boxes will not help with reducing wear and tear - you're using them longer than they were intended.

If you want to protect your box from getting crushed, get a box jacket from CARC and call it a day.  They're the same price (cheaper when bought in bulk), they protect your box and your cards, you can swap decks in and out of them and they even look cooler - who the hell is going to be impressed with a feature that they can't even see unless you take the trouble of showing them the inside of the box?  The "Expert Playing Card Co." box jackets are much nicer (and CHEAPER as well as MORE USEFUL) than these stays are at protecting my cards.  Sure metal stays will last longer in the sense that they will take many more centuries to decompose in a landfill, but the box they were glued into won't last anywhere near as long as the CARC box jackets.

That's definitely true.

In fact, I've just been carrying my cards in my card clip lately. It keeps them straight, and protects the box.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

For serious cardists and magicians, a deck will last a week or less.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
... if you use bics a lot just put a new deck into the box with the stays... problem solved.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

For serious cardists and magicians, a deck will last a week or less.

Which is exactly my point!  "Purist" collectors would be loathe to even open the box, never mind putting foreign objects in it.  These silly stays are meant to be glued in and left in place.  It's like selling glue-on metal "cone shields" for ice cream cones that cost nearly as much as the ice cream cones do...

... if you use bics a lot just put a new deck into the box with the stays... problem solved.

Bics?  You mean the pen brand?  Or am I missing something?

If you mean "decks", as in inserting new decks into old boxes, that's still silly - these stays do nothing to protect the box exterior from wear and tear.  In a fairly short time you'll just have a ragged-looking box with two strips of metal inside, assuming you're one who blows through decks at a good clip.

Let me guess, the next product will be "deck wrap" - plastic wrap for decks.  Keeps your cards printing-press fresh!  And of course we'll need the deck dust shield, the deck UV protector, tuck box starch, tuck box scratch repair kits, card edge cleanser and refresher, deck seal preservers, card sharpeners, Scotch-Guard(TM) for pasteboards...et cetera ad nauseum...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:12:08 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

I do think it's kinda useful though. I've had many-a boxes get crushed in my pocket. These stays probably would have prevented that.

...The key word is "many" though. I have at least 10 decks that I use for just keeping with me for practicing flourishes on the bus and such. (I'll use my Legends one day, my 125 Anniversary, the next, etc.) Unless I buy 10 of these, they're not too useful.

Exactly! Boxes get crushed people and it sucks when it does. I'd like to add; a deck of cards will last much longer than a week for a Cardist. And if you are cycling you decks, like many Cardists do, they will last even longer. Equipping these to multiple decks is useful to and really, just another accessory that will help flourishers out. As for collectors, I think here they are absolutely out of the question. Like Don said, collectors won't open decks so there's no point mentioning them. So for Cardists, this along with a Porper is just another useful tool and there is no denying that this is an innovative product... For people who extensively use their cards.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Exactly! Boxes get crushed people and it sucks when it does. I'd like to add; a deck of cards will last much longer than a week for a Cardist. And if you are cycling you decks, like many Cardists do, they will last even longer. Equipping these to multiple decks is useful to and really, just another accessory that will help flourishers out. As for collectors, I think here they are absolutely out of the question. Like Don said, collectors won't open decks so there's no point mentioning them. So for Cardists, this along with a Porper is just another useful tool and there is no denying that this is an innovative product... For people who extensively use their cards.

So, you'd pop these into your tuck boxes for the decks you rotate...at five bucks each set...  It's the Dan & Dave deck tax!

Personally, I'd rather spend all that extra cash on more cards.  And I have yet to see a box get crushed WHILE THERE IS A FULL DECK INSIDE...