You are Here:
"New" Maverick Tuck Cases: Vintage? Import?

Author (Read 6102 times)

"New" Maverick Tuck Cases: Vintage? Import?
« on: June 11, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »

Wild Joker

• True Member
While I was browsing around in Walmart today, I was surprised to see Maverick cards now come in a tuck case with a design that differs from their usual design:

(The back of the case is similar to USPC's current Standard Face Bicycle cases).

I got curious about this and decided to look into this, because even Bicycle's official website doesn't show this different design, and most of what I've been able to turn up seem to suggest this design is either international imports or a revival of a more vintage design - which I wouldn't be too familiar with.

Anybody else seen these cases in the stores lately?

Re: "New" Maverick Tuck Cases: Vintage? Import?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »

dkrouskop

I picked up the red & blue in these cases at the Wal-Mart around the corner several days before finding the original, solid-colored cases at Family Dollar today (only been collecting for about a week now). Got Jumbos in these new cases, too. These are dated 2018, while the ones I bought in the traditional cases have 2010 on them. So I'm assuming they've just changed the case design with the most recent batches printed.

Re: "New" Maverick Tuck Cases: Vintage? Import?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:34:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's another possibility.  Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart, they're large enough to get unique print runs from USPC - they've done it before for plain, run-of-the-mill Bicycles, getting a unique two-pack that was their exclusive product.  This could be another case of Wal-Mart using their clout and buying power to order an exclusive tuck design to get Mavericks in their stores.

Are the quality any better than the usual?  Mavericks have been Chinese-made and the lowest-end deck for USPC for a number of years now.  I typically only see them selling at dollar-stores, usually with a 99-cent price tag.  They're barely worth that.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/