You are Here:
Guitar Gods Playing Cards by Guitar World Magazine (KS)

Author (Read 1408 times)

Guitar Gods Playing Cards by Guitar World Magazine (KS)
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:27 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Guitar Gods Playing Cards

Guitar Gods Playing Cards from Guitar World Magazine

A deck of standard-size playing cards featuring 54 current and classic Guitar World magazine covers.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Guitar Gods Playing Cards by Guitar World Magazine (KS)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:56 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
This deck is really cool for anyone interested in guitar gods, I imagine the customer base for the magazine will help their campaign. The covers on the cards is a really great concept, but the Aces are just so wrong, I think the borders should be the same on every card.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Also, the red and black flags at the indices will give away which cards are red or black from the side of the deck.

They aren't practical, but the target audience likely doesn't care.  It's for rock/guitar fans who read their magazine.

I might get a deck as a gift for a friend - he plays bass in a band.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As more and more of these types of projects appear I continue to feel that I'm not even part of the "card market" anymore. There are now 1,024 projects on Kickstarter if you search for "playing cards," which is just flat out crazy. In early 2012 when I did Tendril there had been 6 proper (i.e. USPCC) playing card projects. I think there are about 30 active ones this month alone.

Projects like this are just so unrelated to anything that makes playing cards great. I guess everyone has the right to try to make some money, but why playing cards have become the dumping ground for seemingly every idea under the sun is beyond me.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Encarded - This deck has some major flaws in it.  It should fail. Don't worry about it...  You should worry about the 40 Kickstarters next summer when USPCC goes with the 1000 deck minimum of Bike stock...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:06:52 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:12:04 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
@Encarded - This deck has some major flaws in it.  It should fail. Don't worry about it...  You should worry about the 40 Kickstarters next summer when USPCC goes with the 1000 deck minimum of Bike stock...
USPC cancelled the 1000 minimum, (to my knowledge) there are some exceptions, I think the bacon deck will be accepted because they have an existing contract.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:14:52 PM by Rose »

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:24 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
As more and more of these types of projects appear I continue to feel that I'm not even part of the "card market" anymore. There are now 1,024 projects on Kickstarter if you search for "playing cards," which is just flat out crazy. In early 2012 when I did Tendril there had been 6 proper (i.e. USPCC) playing card projects. I think there are about 30 active ones this month alone.

Projects like this are just so unrelated to anything that makes playing cards great. I guess everyone has the right to try to make some money, but why playing cards have become the dumping ground for seemingly every idea under the sun is beyond me.

Yes this deck has a lot of issues, but it's a product advertisement deck. I think that's all this deck was meant to be. I would dare to say that there are more individual advertisements decks out there than all others. How many congress decks are in a custom box with "Joe's Plumbing & Law Office" on it? I don't have an issue with this deck, because what it is.
Now decks made for playing, and done horribly by someone that has no idea about playing cards suck. I would also say certain companies putting out 10 decks a month on KS really aggravates me. Kind of like throwing shit against a wall to see what sticks.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:01:02 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I might get a deck as a gift for a friend - he plays bass in a band.

You might need to get a gross at the rate this project is going. Even that might not help.

I would also say certain companies putting out 10 decks a month on KS really aggravates me. Kind of like throwing shit against a wall to see what sticks.

*sniff sniff* What's that burn....lol
There are simply too many "shitty" decks out there, but there are many more who would jump into a project the moment "Bicycle", "Limited" or even "Playing Cards" is mentioned. Whether it is to resell, or simply to have more decks to their collection i really do not know. I do know there are many kids out there collecting cards now. I recently sold couple hundred worth of decks to a 16 Y.O (I didn't even know till i met him to pass the decks). I mean where do kids get this money from? And seriously, some of the decks he bought...lets just say, not the proudest of my collection. Maybe some people just have different taste and different appeals to decks is all i can say. For all we know, we could be the 1s with the weird taste gathering here. After all, we are just a small group in the whole playing card community.

But with regards to this deck, it is definitely more of an advertising deck or a hobbyist deck. Mainly done for their love of guitars, music, band, or just the magazine etc...into a deck where they could carry around or play with. The creator of this deck probably doesn't give a damn about card collectors as well. This deck is by no means great, but I say this deck is more legit than some try-hard designer decks out there.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

In a way, they always have been since the antebellum years following the Civil War.  Many companies have made advertising decks or packaged decks in advertising boxes.  This, despite its imperfections, is the last deck on Earth I'd be all that concerned about.  It's the OTHER decks out there, the ones literally slapped together by people with more ambition and avarice than skills and experience.

Companies like MPC encourage this kind of deck, because they're print decks in any quantity you could want, though at a steep premium per-deck for short runs.  When I see someone asking $15 for an MPC deck, I have to take a deep breath before asking what the hell he was thinking of.  MPC isn't the worst by far and they are improving, but they aren't USPC, Expert or Legends (or even CartaMundi or Card-Shark) by any stretch of the imagination.  I just wish more of their innovation was in making better quality cards and less of it was in making decks with three-dimensional printing.

USPC cancelled the 1000 minimum, (to my knowledge) there are some exceptions, I think the bacon deck will be accepted because they have an existing contract.

Too true, Rose.  Considering what they can fetch for a larger contract, it's not worth it to them to pursue print runs that small in general, though I'm sure for certain high-value customers they'd make exceptions.  Certain aspects of deck design will take the same amount of time regardless of the size of the print run - contracts are signed, Legal inspects the design (wait, shouldn't that be the OTHER way around?  You'd think so, right?), proofs have to get approved, plates have to be created, etc.  Run off 1,000 or 100,000 and those costs won't change, and neither will the time it consumes.  As long as USPC isn't hurting for new deck producers banging on their doors, they'll hold off on making short runs like that for the indefinite future.

Rob, PurpleIce - yes, some people will buy whatever POS deck USPC lets someone produce as a limited edition.  The "Bicycle" brand still carries weight, though that grip on the market is starting to weaken, more and more with each crappy design USPC's Bicycle brand manager approves.  Since Kickstarter has no shortage of those, in time people will stop buying just because of the brand name and start buying because it's a great deck or something they really want.

And yes, there are some ridiculously indulgent parents out there, mostly upper-middle income or wealthy, who buy their children's affections with money rather than quality time, so yes, there's an inordinate number of teens with cash to burn and a metric fuckton of playing cards in their possession stored in an otherwise-empty room somewhere.  Come the zombie apocalypse, they will have enough to last several lifetimes, even if they get really good at killing zombies with thrown cards into the skull or perhaps a nice neck-shot decapitation...  If only they could eat them...

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

Guitar World

• Newcomer
Hey guys, thanks for engaging in a little discussion about our card project. I know some of you think it's insulting or ridiculous or whatever, but we've never been afraid to try new things here...I don't think we would have stayed in business for 34 years if we always played it safe, you know? Years ago we probably wouldn't have considered doing a project like this as a KS campaign, but I hope some of you can appreciate just how difficult it is being a print media company in the U.S. these days...especially one that deals primarily with hard rock and metal!

Think about it this way: I guarantee there's a Barnes & Noble in your neighborhood that has closed its doors in the past year or two...and every time that happens, or a newsstand/magazine store closes up shop, or a 7-11 moves the magazine rack to the back corner, our business gets hurt. It's very tough out there right now, believe me. Now, do we think a KS campaign will fix all that? Of course not...but at the same time, it's good to be involved in new business ventures from time to time, and you can't be afraid to fail.

One thing I'd like to clarify is that this is in no way an "advertising" deck...for me, it was all about celebrating the history of the magazine in a new format. Most of us have been here for 10, 15, 25 years, and we work very hard on our covers...personally, I'd love to have 54 of our best ones as a deck of playing cards, just for the fun of it. No, it's not for the poker-playing purist...it's for lovers of music, guitar, and our magazine.

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know where we're coming from with this. Thanks for listening.

Jeff Kitts
Managing Editor
Guitar World magazine

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys, thanks for engaging in a little discussion about our card project. I know some of you think it's insulting or ridiculous or whatever, but we've never been afraid to try new things here...I don't think we would have stayed in business for 34 years if we always played it safe, you know? Years ago we probably wouldn't have considered doing a project like this as a KS campaign, but I hope some of you can appreciate just how difficult it is being a print media company in the U.S. these days...especially one that deals primarily with hard rock and metal!

Think about it this way: I guarantee there's a Barnes & Noble in your neighborhood that has closed its doors in the past year or two...and every time that happens, or a newsstand/magazine store closes up shop, or a 7-11 moves the magazine rack to the back corner, our business gets hurt. It's very tough out there right now, believe me. Now, do we think a KS campaign will fix all that? Of course not...but at the same time, it's good to be involved in new business ventures from time to time, and you can't be afraid to fail.

One thing I'd like to clarify is that this is in no way an "advertising" deck...for me, it was all about celebrating the history of the magazine in a new format. Most of us have been here for 10, 15, 25 years, and we work very hard on our covers...personally, I'd love to have 54 of our best ones as a deck of playing cards, just for the fun of it. No, it's not for the poker-playing purist...it's for lovers of music, guitar, and our magazine.

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know where we're coming from with this. Thanks for listening.

Jeff Kitts
Managing Editor
Guitar World magazine

Even as the deck is a celebration of your company's history, it's also a form of promotion.  But don't get me wrong - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.  It's part of the long and proud history of playing cards to serve as advertising and promotion for a wide variety of companies.

Having said that, if you should decide to make another deck in the future, you should get in touch with me.  Some simple, minor modifications could make this deck more functional and I do consulting work for playing card designers and producers.  Of course, if you're willing to consider some alterations for this deck, get in touch with me sooner than later!  My rates are very reasonable.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forums.

Though i am not into print media, i do have my own business and probably understand to a certain extent how we should always be trying stuff without fear of failure. Especially when more and more things are going digital and easily accessible over the internet, i can only imagine how much tougher it might be for you guys.

That being said, irregardless of what kind of deck it is, I believe your goal is hoping this deck could not only meet your own personal requirements, but one that could sell as well. I believe if I were to come out with a magazine cover, your whole crew would have plenty to say as well. So ignore any bullshit that we may put out and take in constructive criticisms to improve on your deck. Most importantly, improve on the pips and indices to make it a more playable deck. You would not make changes to a magazine till it no longer serves its purpose, the same goes with a deck of cards. Also, red on red is really difficult to read, the same goes with black on dark colours. Perhaps you could reconsider some of your background selection against the pips and indices.

Take a look at other successful card projects. I am sure there are many more improvements you can make, and i am sure you will make them. After all, i am sure 34 years of trying new stuff will definitely have some setbacks in-between, and this should be nothing to you.

Best of luck to your KS project.

Having said that, if you should decide to make another deck in the future, you should get in touch with me.  Some simple, minor modifications could make this deck more functional and I do consulting work for playing card designers and producers.  Of course, if you're willing to consider some alterations for this deck, get in touch with me sooner than later!  My rates are very reasonable.

Don has gone full advertising mode as of late. :P

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »

Guitar World

• Newcomer
Thanks Purple, appreciate the encouraging words. Believe me, there are a lot of things about the cards that I'm not particularly happy with...but it's been tough to get the art department to not only be excited about it, but devote any real time to it. It's just the nature of being a small, overworked staff...there's not a lot of time for extracurricular projects like these when you have magazines to produce every couple of weeks.

Interesting experience for sure...thanks again.

Jeff Kitts
Managing Editor
Guitar World magazine

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Purple, appreciate the encouraging words. Believe me, there are a lot of things about the cards that I'm not particularly happy with...but it's been tough to get the art department to not only be excited about it, but devote any real time to it. It's just the nature of being a small, overworked staff...there's not a lot of time for extracurricular projects like these when you have magazines to produce every couple of weeks.

Interesting experience for sure...thanks again.

Jeff Kitts
Managing Editor
Guitar World magazine

If that's the case, consider that there are many playing card designers that do work for hire - many of them would be able to put together a very sharp deck for you.

PurpleIce, yes, I do advertise my services here and there.  I offer it when it's needed.  Would you argue it isn't needed?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:16:02 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »

Guitar World

• Newcomer
Appreciate that, really...and we certainly work with plenty of freelance designers that would do an amazing job with this, but then you're factoring in those costs as well. Nothing's easy, as we usually learn!

JK