I got some pics of my storage cases . enjoy

Re: How should I store my cards?
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
what are the decks in the 2nd picture?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »

DidoDido

• True Member

• Facebook:
racer (gold edges) blue& red
1984 olympics Blue &red
1996 Olympics Gold & green
New fan back 1980`s red & blue
etc

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

What kind of cases are they, and how much do they cost?  They look awesome.

I had been using a briefcase at one time to house practically my entire collection of cards and magic.  After getting tired of lugging around something so heavy, I wised up.  The suitcase now holds magic props, while the collection sits on shelves and I carry a camcorder case with a capacity for up to thirty-six decks.  And a few small magic props, as well.  If I grab that box, I've got everything I need for rounds of short sets - I use it in the hospital all the time.  That's when I fill it to capacity, because I give away decks when I perform.

I am hoping to find something sturdier, though.  The handle's already snapped off (it was chromed plastic instead of metal).  I'm also considering something soft-sided, or at least with better rounded corners.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »

DidoDido

• True Member

• Facebook:

What kind of cases are they, and how much do they cost?  They look awesome.

I had been using a briefcase at one time to house practically my entire collection of cards and magic.  After getting tired of lugging around something so heavy, I wised up.  The suitcase now holds magic props, while the collection sits on shelves and I carry a camcorder case with a capacity for up to thirty-six decks.  And a few small magic props, as well.  If I grab that box, I've got everything I need for rounds of short sets - I use it in the hospital all the time.  That's when I fill it to capacity, because I give away decks when I perform.

I am hoping to find something sturdier, though.  The handle's already snapped off (it was chromed plastic instead of metal).  I'm also considering something soft-sided, or at least with better rounded corners.

hey don

U can simply modify those sponges, one sponge block is one deck thick :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINIUM-FRAME-HARD-CASE-for-DIGITAL-CAMERA-CAMCORDER-ZE-HC18-WITH-FOAM-/190691119223?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2c66139077#
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:57:43 AM by cji1321 »

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I will post a video of my storage later today or tomorrow. Just FYI.

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

hey don

U can simply modify those sponges, one sponge block is one deck thick :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINIUM-FRAME-HARD-CASE-for-DIGITAL-CAMERA-CAMCORDER-ZE-HC18-WITH-FOAM-/190691119223?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2c66139077#

I know about foamcore cases - I used to have an excellent one for my old Gameboy, held all the carts and accessories.  I'd be willing to wager that the case you linked to me is from the same manufacturer as my little case - the handle is the exact same shape and looks like chromed plastic more than metal.

Those are great cases, but hard cases do have a drawback - they're hard!  You can bang into someone or scratch a wall if you stand too close.  A soft-shelled case with inner walls would be nice.

I'm considering getting trading card boxes to store the "bulk" supply - the extra decks that are now starting to clog my shelving unit.  They looked awesome in that photo when filled with decks, and one large box can hold a LOT.  I could line it with a plastic bag for added protection, I think.

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
1st off, Don I wasn't sure if you guys prefer resurrecting really old threads or just starting new ones, so I'm going with Resurrection for the moment.

So aside from displaying decks I was considering these for storage. A bit pricey but the drawers are the perfect size and it's furniture not a cardboard box. I was thinking of putting them right below my displays on the same wall. (Minus the casters, I'm thinking of replacing them with some small feet)

What do you think?

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
1st off, Don I wasn't sure if you guys prefer resurrecting really old threads or just starting new ones, so I'm going with Resurrection for the moment.

So aside from displaying decks I was considering these for storage. A bit pricey but the drawers are the perfect size and it's furniture not a cardboard box. I was thinking of putting them right below my displays on the same wall. (Minus the casters, I'm thinking of replacing them with some small feet)

What do you think?

How pricey is pricey?  The drawers I found are the right size and cheap, relatively speaking.  One standard-height drawer holds 45 decks and they're stackable to whatever height you want.  The decks are stored on their edges, allowing you to see all 45 decks when you remove the drawer from the unit.  The drawers have stops in them to prevent them from sliding all the way out by accident, but the plastic is flexible, allowing you to easily bypass the stops and remove a drawer intentionally.

The drawers can be stacked as high or low as you wish, and are the right size to be placed on a deck or other furniture.  They can stack low as a desk drawer unit or high as a piece of furniture in its own right.

I've also thought that some mechanic's chests would be nice as well as secure, providing some protection in case of a small disaster (though not really from water).  But I imagine they're royally expensive by comparison.

You're right about removing the casters.  A deck of cards may seem light, but a pile of decks gets heavy fast and casters aren't meant for handling a great deal of dead weight.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:29:55 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
How pricey is pricey?

Well these are from Ikea, $119.00. If I did my math right you should be able to fit 132 decks per drawer (On there side, 6 across x 22 deep) making that 792 decks per unit. It has drawer stops and made of press board with veneer. It measures approx. 26H x 26W x 18D.

I still kind of like them because while it's veneer, it looks more like furniture and not storage bins.

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
How pricey is pricey?

Well these are from Ikea, $119.00. If I did my math right you should be able to fit 132 decks per drawer (On there side, 6 across x 22 deep) making that 792 decks per unit. It has drawer stops and made of press board with veneer. It measures approx. 26H x 26W x 18D.

I still kind of like them because while it's veneer, it looks more like furniture and not storage bins.

That's true.

Did you notice in the photo that the top three drawers are less tall than the bottom three?  You'll want to insure the skinny drawers can still hold properly-stacked decks.

If I went with all regular-size drawers in my units, there'd be twelve, each with 45 decks, total of 540.  It is much less "furniture-y", true enough, but it also occupies a much smaller footprint and is taller - two units side-by-side would roughly equal the square footage of that unit, adding up to 1,080 decks.

But there's no denying that my wife would be far more pleased if my units looked more like furniture, less like storage!

Just make sure of one thing.  I previously stored a lot of decks - about a gross - in a dresser drawer.  A gross is 144, barely more than one of your drawers can hold.  It wasn't meant to take the weight and eventually collapsed, destroying the framework in the dresser and resulting in it being trashed and replaced and the decks being moved elsewhere.  Check out just how much weight the drawers can actually support before reaching the breaking point - you wouldn't want to place more than perhaps half of that weight in any one drawer.  The weight will be more distributed over a larger area, to be sure, but it may be lacking adequate support in the center to manage the "sag" that can occur, especially when the drawer's bottom sags enough to come out of the slots in the drawer's walls that hold it in place.  If the support along the drawer bottom is minimal, consider reinforcing it with some straps and wood slats - the strap gets screwed in at the back and front of the bottom of the drawer into the framework and the slats fill the gap between the straps and the drawer bottom, creating a supporting structure underneath.

I was able to eliminate that problem using the plastic storage drawers.  Technically, each drawer is an independent construct and they're stacked into sets to create larger units.  Each individual drawer is physically capable of supporting the full weight of the contents inside and the plastic used is a bit softer, with a bit more "give" than rigid wood furniture.  There's just the right amount of flexibility to the units when stacked that they can even sway a bit without breaking, which they do when I'm shifting them, but when stacked and stationary, they're supported and strong enough so they don't sway or even budge all that much when fully loaded.

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
But there's no denying that my wife would be far more pleased if my units looked more like furniture, less like storage!
Well Don, this is one of the reasons I'm looking at this option, lol

You have some great points, and yes I noticed the difference in drawer size, I still need to go look at these things to be sure. But you right about the weight issue. I want to see how these drawers move, are they on rails, etc...

Still have some homework to do on them. Thanks for the input  ;)

« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You have some great points, and yes I noticed the difference in drawer size, I still need to go look at these things to be sure. But you right about the weight issue. I want to see how these drawers move, are they on rails, etc...

Here's a thought - I seem to recall that architects will often store blueprints unrolled and flat in long drawers very similar to that cabinet.  I also seem to recall that many of them are made of metal.  THAT should easily defeat any weight issues as well as being a little more furniture-like than my setup.  It would just be a matter of just how furniture-like they are, whether the drawers are deep enough and just how much they cost...

I just had an interesting idea...  Anything can be made "furniture-like" if you put it INSIDE a piece of furniture...  Perhaps I could find a cabinet or an armoire without shelves that's just big enough to hold my storage drawers!  I can't imagine my wife being upset with that, right?

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just had an interesting idea...  Anything can be made "furniture-like" if you put it INSIDE a piece of furniture...  Perhaps I could find a cabinet or an armoire without shelves that's just big enough to hold my storage drawers!  I can't imagine my wife being upset with that, right?
I find no flaw in that logic......but that's me, wives, well, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that their a completely different animal, lol

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Here's a thought - I seem to recall that architects will often store blueprints unrolled and flat in long drawers very similar to that cabinet.  I also seem to recall that many of them are made of metal.  THAT should easily defeat any weight issues as well as being a little more furniture-like than my setup.  It would just be a matter of just how furniture-like they are, whether the drawers are deep enough and just how much they cost...

Bingo Don!  I've been working really hard trying to hammer this storage bit out.  I've got a ton of decks that I don't need to display.  I think the nicest two ways i've resigned myself to are...

#1 An antique card catalog cabinet.  Such as you would see in a library.  These can be beautiful pieces of furniture and are basically designed for the purpose I want them to carry out.

#2 A vintage blueprint or architects cabinet.  A four or five drawer model fitted with a glass or wood top would be perfect coffee table size, be a cool vintage piece of furniture and store a lot of decks laying flat.

Problem I've encountered is these two options are hard to find and thus expensive.  New (non vintage) models of option #2 are readily available but still quite pricey. 

As it is I will continue to visit local antique dealers and let them know to keep their eyes open for these items for me.

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Bingo Don!  I've been working really hard trying to hammer this storage bit out.  I've got a ton of decks that I don't need to display.  I think the nicest two ways i've resigned myself to are...

#1 An antique card catalog cabinet.  Such as you would see in a library.  These can be beautiful pieces of furniture and are basically designed for the purpose I want them to carry out.

#2 A vintage blueprint or architects cabinet.  A four or five drawer model fitted with a glass or wood top would be perfect coffee table size, be a cool vintage piece of furniture and store a lot of decks laying flat.

Problem I've encountered is these two options are hard to find and thus expensive.  New (non vintage) models of option #2 are readily available but still quite pricey. 

As it is I will continue to visit local antique dealers and let them know to keep their eyes open for these items for me.

As schools, universities, libraries, etc. upgrade to the digital age, they do tend to get rid of the old card catalog drawers.  I wouldn't call them purpose-built to the task - they do have that spindle running lengthwise down the center of the bottom for holding the cards in place - but I imagine they can be altered without too much difficulty.  The problem, however, is that I don't imagine there's too many libraries of any kind left in the US that haven't already upgraded to digital cataloging of their inventory.

I know some collectors get a hold of these REALLY, REALLY nice old drawer units with glass on all sides and glass drawers - beautiful and functional - but I think those are antiques as well and thus difficult to find/afford.

I say find a decent cabinet that you can put drawers into if you can't find something purpose built.  Plastic drawers are cheap and the cabinet can be as simple and cheap as an Ikea DIY kit or as elaborate as a fancy hand-carved antique armoire from the 17th century - whatever your decorating sense and budget both can agree upon.  Even a chest placed on its side or an old steamer trunk would suffice if the dimensions are big enough.  Find the right chest and you can even have it double as a coffee table...

I really need to discuss that idea with my wife...she might actually like it.