You are Here:
Guy Hollingworth's Quartet Gaff Card - how to use?

Author (Read 2405 times)

Guy Hollingworth's Quartet Gaff Card - how to use?
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

this is the gaff card inside Guy Hollingworth's Playing Cards, a double back with 2 suits of kings on each face. He has sale a booklet named "Quartet - A Fake Card and Ten Routines Therewith" with this gaff card for 20GBP since 1999. Now I got this gaff card as an add card, and I have only one idea how to use it for Transposition after i saw a clip performance on Youtube. I got no idea how about the other routines - no performance, no description. so any one can give me some hint, full performance or somewhere sell the booklet individual  :P

Re: Guy Hollingworth's Quartet Gaff Card - how to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
this is the gaff card inside Guy Hollingworth's Playing Cards, a double back with 2 suits of kings on each face. He has sale a booklet named "Quartet - A Fake Card and Ten Routines Therewith" with this gaff card for 20GBP since 1999. Now I got this gaff card as an add card, and I have only one idea how to use it for Transposition after i saw a clip performance on Youtube. I got no idea how about the other routines - no performance, no description. so any one can give me some hint, full performance or somewhere sell the booklet individual  :P

OK, first of all - a "double back" has no faces!  This is just a gaff card.  And the "add card" is really "ad card" - and it's only called that if it's an advertisement!  :))

This is a common-enough gaff card - it appears in a few of Ellusionist's gaff decks, notably the Arcane Gaff Decks in white and in black.  But there, it was paired with another card.  Was this the only extra card in the box or was there another - and if so, what was it?

Basically, there's a lot of things a card like this can be used for.  Make one person sign the clubs end as a card force, another person sign the spades end using another force (with some concealment in how you hold the card so as to not give away the fact that they're signing the same "split" card), then "lose" the card in the deck, tell them you'll find their cards, but produce only one card - their card which they both signed.  Of course, that means it's a "single-use only" card at that point, but for a strong-enough trick, ruining or giving away a gaff-card souvenir is worth it.

Use it with a blank face card, and it's more versatile.  Use it with another split card (the red Kings) and you can have even more fun with it.  There's a routine in the Arcane Gaff Deck that uses a single card that's got all four Kings on it, two on each side, and it shows a cool routine for letting someone choose a King of their choice, you show them the King they chose and reveal the other three cards to be blank - from their perspective, you "knew" so far in advance what they would choose, there were no other Kings in your hand, just their chosen King.  It requires a little special handling, but then again, what trick doesn't, right?

The one thing I learned fast about gaff cards is that in many cases, unless it's a packet trick and a simple one at that, you often need to learn a few things about sleight of hand and card forces.  Card forces in particular are vital - I know exactly one right now and it's really crappy but it works on newbies who don't know any better.  But I also don't use gaff cards very often, unless you count having two of the same card.

Another thing I learned about gaffs - the best, most stunning, most effective tricks AREN'T the ones with the wacky gaffs like the blurry cards, the smeared cards, etc., but are the ones that, when you use them, the spectator doesn't even realize a gaff card is in use.  For example, a double backer that has backs from two different decks is a killer tool.  Here's a favorite trick I use it for...

You place a card on the table, a "stranger" card in the parlance - a card from a deck other than the one you're holding.  Tell your spectator that the card is a prediction, but you'll get back to it later.  The spectator picks a card from your deck (you get to see it), signs it, you lose it in the deck, then you remember that card on the table that you "nearly forgot about."  You pick it up, peek at it, ask the spectator if they'd like to see it - and reveal that not only is the prediction card their card, but that it's got their autograph on it.  It's the card from a DIFFERENT deck, but they signed it, and you spread the deck to reveal that there are no cards in it from that "stranger" deck.

How's it done?  Easy enough...  It's an old enough trick that I can reveal it without it being some massive revelation.

The "stranger" card is a double backer - one back is the "stranger" deck, the other matches your deck.  When the spectator choose a card, you're forcing a specific card on them - it can be any card from the deck, but it's not actually from the deck; the card has the same back as the "stranger" card.  (This also means that the cards of both decks have to have the same faces!)  When you let the spectator "pick" the card, you're forcing them to pick it and being careful not to reveal the back with the force method used.  When they autograph it, you hold it in your hand, face up, on top of the deck - they can't see the back.  You lose it in the deck, letting them see the faces, but you're really forcing the card to the back end of the deck and not letting them see it.  When you pick up the "stranger card" to peek at it, you're using the card as cover to conceal the back of the autographed card.  So at this point, your deck has 1) the double backer with the "stranger back" showing on top and 2) the signed card from the stranger deck face down just below the double-backer.  When you reveal the card to the spectator, you do a double lift to flip both cards, letting him or her think you've flipped just one card - now the spectator sees the face of their card, signed, thinking it was the prediction card, and that double backer is now showing the back that matches with the rest of the deck.  You slide that signed card off the top, it has the stranger back, you spread the rest of the deck revealing no stranger backs, and the spectator is (hopefully) very impressed!

One last thing I learned about gaff cards.  With each gaff deck I've purchased, there's often a few gaffs that never get explained in the instructional video.  They're common enough gaffs that you're expected to either figure out existing tricks using them on your own or (better still) INVENT your own routines that take advantage of them.

BTW: it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the booklet, even if you're paying for an extra copy of the gaff.  Gaff cards, like any cards that get used, get worn and tired-looking after a while, and you have to stop using them after a while or figure out a routine that calls for a really beat-up, worn-out version of the card you were using!  Spares are always a good thing, especially if the card is vital to an important trick that you can't swap out of your routine for something else at the last minute.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:31:22 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

yeah, i really willing to buy the booklet too, because look like it have a lot of cool stuffs, but the customs in my country is really really.....  :mindf-ck:
and ya sorry for my mistakes :P it is a double face, not double back, with 2 kings on each face (Clubs & Spades on one side, Hearts & Diamond on other side) the other gaff is a Double back. no big deal with it.
i think a lot about some mental force with this gaff too. but because of it got double face (or delta-face  :-\ ) i cant show the back. i read the content of the booklet and really want to see some full performance  of routines inside them http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?book=10

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
yeah, i really willing to buy the booklet too, because look like it have a lot of cool stuffs, but the customs in my country is really really.....  :mindf-ck:
and ya sorry for my mistakes :P it is a double face, not double back, with 2 kings on each face (Clubs & Spades on one side, Hearts & Diamond on other side) the other gaff is a Double back. no big deal with it.
i think a lot about some mental force with this gaff too. but because of it got double face (or delta-face  :-\ ) i cant show the back. i read the content of the booklet and really want to see some full performance  of routines inside them http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?book=10

It's the same exact gaff card that comes with the Arcane Gaff deck, and is demonstrated by Greg Wilson in the video!

You use the double backer to hide the card's backside when revealing the face to the spectator, concealing the opposite index with your hand, or conversely, use the double backer to conceal the index and your hand to conceal the back.  I think the first one works better - mentalism routine, "pick a king, any king - oh, is THIS your king?"  Holding what looks like a single card, you actually are holding all four kings, in a sense...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/